2 Openbox, 1 skydish

jacks13

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on if I can have 2 openbox running at the same time with different channels on, and how difficult it would be to set up?

We have a V8s in our living room which usually my dad is watching and I would like to get one in my bedroom so I am able to have the full selection of channels too. Currently the downstairs TV is connected directly to the dish, however the TV in my bedroom is just connected to the normal TV aerial in our loft.

Thus being said, would it be possible for me to get one upstairs or would it be more trouble than its worth trying to sort it all out?

Thank you for any advice.

You need a connection from the dish to your room

You can use homeplugs to get an internet connection from your router into your room without running
wires everywhere

It would be best to use a server who allows multi room then you don't have to pay for another line.

You need a connection from the dish to your room

You can use homeplugs to get an internet connection from your router into your room without running
wires everywhere

It would be best to use a server who allows multi room then you don't have to pay for another line.

Thank you for your help.

make sure your lnb is not a single lnb, you will need at least a twin lnb to run 2 connection feeds... if its a single lnb you will need to buy a twin

As Jagsy says you have to have two separate feeds from your dish / LNB. The reason for this is that the channels transmitted from the sat are either Horizontal or Vertical frequencies. When you select a channel on your box then it sends a DC voltage up to the LNB which then switches to whatever type is selected. This DC voltage is between 14 and 18 volts (I think).The box will switch between low and high depending which channel is selected. Therefore if you have two boxes into one LNB feed and you try to select different channels from each box , ie. Horizontal and Vertical at the same time, then the LNB will only see the higher voltage. Get a new multiple output LNB, they are cheap enough and easy enough to change.

As Jagsy says you have to have two separate feeds from your dish / LNB. The reason for this is that the channels transmitted from the sat are either Horizontal or Vertical frequencies. When you select a channel on your box then it sends a DC voltage up to the LNB which then switches to whatever type is selected. This DC voltage is between 14 and 18 volts (I think).The box will switch between low and high depending which channel is selected. Therefore if you have two boxes into one LNB feed and you try to select different channels from each box , ie. Horizontal and Vertical at the same time, then the LNB will only see the higher voltage. Get a new multiple output LNB, they are cheap enough and easy enough to change.

Just looked at the dish and it seems as though there is only one connection point on the dish, its about 13 years old. Is there an easy way around this or would it involve getting a new dish?

Edit

make sure your lnb is not a single lnb, you will need at least a twin lnb to run 2 connection feeds... if its a single lnb you will need to buy a twin

Sorry I missed when adding post i Just did. I'll look into that, thanks.

Any recommendation one which twin to get?

Last edited:
you just need to replace the lnb at the end of the dish, the part where the feeds are connected, you can get a twin lnb ( 2 connections) or a quad lnb ( 4 connections ) I would advise on a quad then if you upgrade your 2 boxes to ones that can record separate channels you can run 2 lines to each box. you can get lnb`s from ebay fairly cheap

Last edited:
Back