Abbreviations

neilc78

I hate abbreviations. Example people with already short names getting it further shortened. Like Frank becoming Fra or Tony beconing Ton. Then if you have a real short name like Joe some fucker starts calling you "J"
Then you have people abbreviating names and making them bloody longer. Neil becomes Neilo. Australians always at that.
Am I alone?

I like abbreviations but why is that word so long? - can't we just call it abreevs?
I get what you're saying, people (peeps?) called Alan getting called Al, people called Steven called Ste - 'Steven? - Alan? - I've not got time for this shit, from now on it's Ste, and Al, and tell Frederick he's sacked, I'll be fecked if i have to move my lips twice for one name'

I am in total agreement with your excellent point neilc78, I also hate abbreviations, and to further add weight to your observation
may I also draw your attention to the introduction of so called text speak amongst our younger generation.

In my opinion it is severly limiting their ability to spell correctly and most wouldn't be able construct a proper sentence,
let alone complete the task of forming a succinct curriculum vitae.

May I also take the opportununity to point out to Willo3092 that WTF is in fact an acronym and not an abbreviation.

Good day to you Sir !!!

May I also take the opportununity to point out to Willo3092 that WTF is in fact an acronym and not an abbreviation.

:oops: What was I thinking? I shall consider myself chastised :(y)::rolleyes:

I do like the little emoji thingies though. They save you having to write at all :emoji_calling:

I am in total agreement with your excellent point neilc78, I also hate abbreviations, and to further add weight to your observation
may I also draw your attention to the introduction of so called text speak amongst our younger generation.

In my opinion it is severly limiting their ability to spell correctly and most wouldn't be able construct a proper sentence,
let alone complete the task of forming a succinct curriculum vitae.

Good day to you Sir !!!

Bees you're to (edit too) intelligent for this forum feck off:grin::grin::grin:

Last edited:
Try saying this every fecking day

WALES boasts a village calledLlanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (58 letters), which in English means "Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of Saint Tysilio near the red cave." The locals call it Llanfairpwll (pronounced thlan vire puth).then you will love using shorter options. :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

What about the trend to take a perfectly concise description like 'police dog' and alter it to the meaningless 'canine unit'. A canine can describe a tooth,wolf,coyote,fox etc. A unit can be a pub measure a kitchen cupboard etc. Everyone knows what a police dog is - especially when it is hanging off your leg...:emoji_fearful:

On another forum, a member keeps calling a phone, a fone!

I can’t explain why, but it really gets on my tits!

Back