Abroad Query / Advice Please?

slimmy46

Hi, Hope this is in the right place, sincere apologies if its not,
Thanks for looking in, OK a relative of mine has a place in Spain, Calahonda to be precise, can anyone throw any light on the best way to view tv, British channels, sport, etc.
Currently they have no Sat dish, and no wifi, they are not there for long periods of time annually and don't want to commit into contracts, But maybe something a little more cost effective.
If they have to go down the wifi route for say IPTV, what is their best option?
does anyone have any info on this so i can help out, i thought of a firestick with vpn, and possibly an iptv sub would be best, once they'd looked into wifi
do any of you lovely people have any info on best wifi deals / subscriptions / routers, i'd really appreciate some advice on this, some evenings they like to stay in and watch tv but they're limited, they have been watching the odd movie on a USB as it has this option on the back of their tv.
As i understand the tv is a smart tv, but as i say have no wifi - If wifi is a must, i'm looking for the best deals out their for their area, they get the local paper out there for ex-pats and the installation of IPTV with a 12 mth deal equates to 350 euro per year, something that is just not justified due to not spending enough time there, does anyone have any info on wifi deals or pay as you go wifi?
Really appreciate any info on this
Many Thanks

Hi
On the Costa Blanca we have a lot of internet providers who offer a switch on/off service for internet so would check this out first.
They will need a minimum of 6mb stable service to run iptv here in Spain.
Cheapest option is the firestick route which they can also use in the UK and then take to Spain and connect to their internet there.
Most providers do not block the use of a different ip as long as only used from one ip at a time.

Hi Benijofar,
Thanks for your prompt reply really helpful, do you happen to have any names of who they could use for Internet providers with the switch on / off option please? They are not Techy at all and I really think I will have to fly out and do a 3 or 4 day Recky, to get them set up, I mentioned to them to ask in local bars and restaurants to see what they're doing, i think most are likely to be iptv, they are on a budget so would like to be able to get something that can be turned on and off when their place is being occupied, it's only immediate family using it if I'm honest, but, currently if they want WiFi they have to go to bars and restaurants to jump on the free WiFi there, things would be so much easier for them if they had it at their place,
Thank you

I think you've misunderstood.
You can get an iptv sub put on an Amazon Firestick in this country for £50 to £80 per 12 month sub
send it to them in Spain
They need internet access to use it at their Spanish home, then they can bring it back and use the same firestick in this country - the IPTv will be on for the full 12m, it's just the internet access they need periodically over there....i assume they have wifi when in the UK?

Ahh, right I'm with you, yes they have internet at home, supposing they just took the firestick with them without a iptv sub, and just ipk's installed on it with a VPN, what path would you go down for your WiFi, this is what they are concerned about that they pay for the service of WiFi and they're say tied into a 12 mths contract and only use the place tops for say 3 periods over the 12 mths - what can they do? What are their options from a Wi-Fi perspective?

They won't need a VPN in Spain for services.
They could install "redbox"..."Mobdro" for live tv via internet and Terrarium for all their films/series.
All free services so just the cost of the firestick plus their internet costs.

Yes Benijofar, I agree and to be fair I reckon I could sort that for them, they're just concerned for the 3 times or so they are out there per year and perhaps 2 or 3 times other immediate family are there it dosent justify a 12 mths contract on the WiFi, they were asking me what would be decent to use from a WiFi perspective for the times that they and immediate family were there?
I've tried a couple of Google searches and it comes up with someone reputable each time who seems to be the 'go to' out that way but I think installation of the router alone is €160 and then a monthly payment on a fixed 12 mths contract which wouldn't be justified.

Maybe just another option I wonder if there are any always on data sims in spain on payg, they could install livenettv or modbro or any other free apk and put it on something like a samsung s6.s7 and run a hdmi cable from the phone to the tv. I think in the uk we have 3 network and giffgaff.

Maybe just another option I wonder if there are any always on data sims in spain on payg, they could install livenettv or modbro or any other free apk and put it on something like a samsung s6.s7 and run a hdmi cable from the phone to the tv. I think in the uk we have 3 network and giffgaff.
I had a look at sims and mifi, I know they're iPhone users, but with a firestick you can use the 'mirror' option deffo with an android, however if you've got WiFi it'd possibly be easier just to sideload the apps onto the firestick rather than install onto an android and mirror to firestick, you can do similar with iphone and a HDMI conversion cable but it restricts any apps such as sly go, and I'm certain you can't put mobdro etc onto the iphone, think it'd be worth looking into purchasing a firestick getting it set up in UK and finding the right data / mifi deal for Spain.

I had a look at sims and mifi, I know they're iPhone users, but with a firestick you can use the 'mirror' option deffo with an android, however if you've got WiFi it'd possibly be easier just to sideload the apps onto the firestick rather than install onto an android and mirror to firestick, you can do similar with iphone and a HDMI conversion cable but it restricts any apps such as sly go, and I'm certain you can't put mobdro etc onto the iphone, think it'd be worth looking into purchasing a firestick getting it set up in UK and finding the right data / mifi deal for Spain.

This is def the way forward.
They'll get Coronation St and Emmerdale and the rest of the drivel like Eastenders etc more or less at the same time as UK, maybe a minute or two difference. They'll have sky sports, sky moveis and all the other entertainment channels they'd have at home, when they're coming home, throw it in hand luggage and carry on with iptv sub at home

Back