Accessing boxes remotely

Snapper93

TK Veteran
Need advice on connecting to 2 boxes remotely.

I am able to access my friends cloud ibox remotely to troubleshoot by forwarding port 80 and port 21 to his box. When i put his external IP into web browser Openwebif opens and I can control the box no problem.

Issue now is, he has added another box and both boxes are allocated same external IP address so it seems that I can only FTP to the original box as port 21 is forwarded to it and when using Openwebif it also only goes to the first box as port 80 is forwarded to it.

Anyone know if it is possible to connect to the 2 boxes individually so I can troubleshoot if need be. I'm thinking one option is to port forward the https port for browser but how can I FTP to second box if port 21 is forwarding to first box?

can you not change the port for the second box? have never done this so wouldnt be too sure. I have always connected via teamviewer and ftp, or teamviewer and openwebif via browser on remote computer using the individual ip address, much easier

Port 80 has to be the port for accessing via web browser (in this case Openwebif) and port 21 for FTP. Don't think you can forward 1 port to 2 devices?. I was thinking of teamviewer but he dosen't have a PC so not possible to install an FTP program for me to use -or am I wrong in thinking this?

Is there a step by step on how to connect remotely as this would be damn handy?
What can u do? Delete files? Tranfer/edit files to box etc? Go in and run and upate service/epg/plugins?

Sorry for off topic dude.

Just looked and in the openwebif plugin you can change the port, as long as the port is forwarded on your router then it should work and just set the 2 box ports differently, as long as the 2 ports are set differently and you put the port number after the ip address then it should work. For example 192.168.1.2:8080 in theory anyway

Just looked and in the openwebif plugin you can change the port, as long as the port is forwarded on your router then it should work and just set the 2 box ports differently, as long as the 2 ports are set differently and you put the port number after the ip address then it should work. For example 192.168.1.2:8080 in theory anyway

Be very very careful when port forwarding the webif, there are many documented cases of peoples receivers being hacked because some one port forwarded 8080 or 8081. most just result in the hacker streaming the victims box but some have had lines stolen or things added to the box.

Is there a step by step on how to connect remotely as this would be damn handy?
What can u do? Delete files? Tranfer/edit files to box etc? Go in and run and upate service/epg/plugins?

Sorry for off topic dude.

I use port forwarding to access box as if I was sitting in the person's house. You can see a screen version of remote and navigate the box just as normal using the web browser. On port 21 you can access the files system via FTP and troubleshoot. I even transfered films to my mate's usb pen in his box from my house using this method. You need the external IP of the box for this to work.

---------- Post Merged at 07:40 PM ----------

Be very very careful when port forwarding the webif, there are many documented cases of peoples receivers being hacked because some one port forwarded 8080 or 8081. most just result in the hacker streaming the victims box but some have had lines stolen or things added to the box.

Thanks for the advice pheonix, but does hacker not need to know the external IP of the box to get access or is this easily obtained, after all they are hackers lol

---------- Post Merged at 07:48 PM ----------

Will try and have a look at this, but not sure if I can forward 2 different ports to access externally as web browser access needs to be on port 80 and Openwebif uses browser access. So if I forward port 80 on router to one box I would then need to forward a different port to the other box but I could prob not access it using web browser like openwebif as you need to use external IP address and when accessing devices externally they are all given same IP if on same network.

All that said, I'm no expert so when I get a chance on my mate's router might try a few things lol

Back