Advice on HDD or SSD for Zgemma H.2S

liam1983

Hi, looking for advice on a drive for the Zgemma, currently using it without any record function and it is great but now the contract is up on sly am going to use this as the primary device, not used one with a drive before and will be buying one specifically for this purpose, can anyone and everyone advise on best option?

Not sure on size, guessing between 1TB & 3TB.
HDD or SDD?
Power from USB or mains?
Do I need a certain type of drive that runs on demand with the box or is it on permanently?

Very grateful for all advice so I can understand and make an informed decision.

Thanks very much

Hi, looking for advice on a drive for the Zgemma, currently using it without any record function and it is great but now the contract is up on sly am going to use this as the primary device, not used one with a drive before and will be buying one specifically for this purpose, can anyone and everyone advise on best option?

Not sure on size, guessing between 1TB & 3TB.
HDD or SDD?
Power from USB or mains?
Do I need a certain type of drive that runs on demand with the box or is it on permanently?

Very grateful for all advice so I can understand and make an informed decision.

Thanks very much

In honesty, I cant see why you would need an SSD, plus the potential for corruption and data loss I think might be higher in that instance than a mechanical as if you boxes crashes or resets unexpectedly, its more likely to cause complications on an SSD than a Mech. I doubt there is much in it, but when it comes to cost per GB, mech wins hands down.

I have a 1 TB Toshiba USB bus powered thats just fine on my box and I will often record ib the box and stream recordings to my kodi stick., I have never got it to glitch...

I imagine in a perfect world you are better overall having a mains powered hard drive so as not to draw unnecessary power from the box, but I am willing to do it and I have no cause for concern personally, I also prefer the compact size of the 2.5" usb hdd and it means one less plug is needed - I HATE those wallwart PSU's I dont trust them. I am using a better quality PSU that is same spec to power the box that is EU made...

This is what I have, it runs quiet and cool...

- Best Offers | PC World

In relation to power saving, there is software controls on the box to arrange all that. once installed and setup, just leave the harddrive connected as it hosts your swap file.

Thanks for your reply I appreciate it and understand your comments on the SSD, I am in the same situation prefering a drive that runs on USB power as plugs are limited and already running a few from these sockets.

In your opinion is 1TB adequate not looking to collect a load of stuff on it?

A link to the plug you bought would also be good if you can?

Thanks for your reply I appreciate it and understand your comments on the SSD, I am in the same situation prefering a drive that runs on USB power as plugs are limited and already running a few from these sockets.

In your opinion is 1TB adequate not looking to collect a load of stuff on it?

A link to the plug you bought would also be good if you can?

I had the PSU knocking round. The one with the box is ok, I meant more the preformed ones that come with HDD's, they can be quite cheap, especially when you go off usual main brand....

1 Tb is fine, but its like anything, its based on individuals. Personally, I would in hindsight for he small difference prefer the 2gb, but I wont lose sleep over it...

Hi Richyboy,
Currently running latest Wooshman build on Zgemma h2s,using a 16 USB stick for recording of programs,also used for swap file,epg data and picons,wanting to exchange USB stick for a 1TB Samsung USB 3.0 M3 portable HDD external hard drive[birthday present],anychance you could explain fitting procedure,is it just a question of plugging in back of box and initialising or does it have to be formatted on PC first.

---------- Post Merged at 04:28 PM ----------

Hi Richyboy,
Currently running latest Wooshman build on Zgemma h2s,using a 16 USB stick for recording of programs,also used for swap file,epg data and picons,wanting to exchange USB stick for a 1TB Samsung USB 3.0 M3 portable HDD external hard drive[birthday present],anychance you could explain fitting procedure,is it just a question of plugging in back of box and initialising or does it have to be formatted on PC first.

Hi,
I would have a think about what you are going to record, are you going to keep them to watch over and over?
If so, then you will need to go for larger disks, go with spinning disks, not SSD.
Also watch the USB interface, some new drives are USB 3.0 ONLY, not compatible with USB 2.0.
I am going to put a 4TB on mine once all setup, as I will leave stuff on it and stream it out.
But on the kids box, they getting 128GB USB Key (Kingston Traveller).

Hope that helps.

SnowManUK

Back