Best (and cheapest) android streaming box?

Gazz1e

Hi,

I'd like to buy an android box that I can plugin into the bedroom tv and stream content from the zgemma. From my findings a firestick seems the best performance / value. Is there anything better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to use my mxq and downloaded timote till I got another h2h I've also used raspberry pi 2 using kodi to stream the channels but timote is better

The best and the cheapest are at opposite ends of the spectrum. For me, it is a matter of your budget, tell us what that is and we'll tell you the best for that budget.

The best and the cheapest are at opposite ends of the spectrum. For me, it is a matter of your budget, tell us what that is and we'll tell you the best for that budget.

It's more like a compromise between the two. Or to put it another way... The cheapest android box that will display streamed content from the zgemma in 1080p

You'll pick up mx2 for $40 from ali express. That is probably the cheapest android box I've used and it runs very well

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

As a long time Kodi user, I'd say the Amazon Fire tv is easy, powerful and a great streaming solution... I've done Apple TV 2's that was great till the aftv. All the generics I tried often suffered little issues here and there... Plus aftv is 4K ready...

Tried a few boxes but found the mx111 to be the best even though it an older version than mxq, the mx111 has 2gb ram and does make a difference from most boxes with 1gb ......

As a long time Kodi user, I'd say the Amazon Fire tv is easy, powerful and a great streaming solution... I've done Apple TV 2's that was great till the aftv. All the generics I tried often suffered little issues here and there... Plus aftv is 4K ready...

would second this i have had a few mx boxes but on fire tv its lighting fast , must be the processing power , i have firetstick and a mxq in another room fire tv is by far the fastest product to handle this ,,

Hi can u let me no if the fire stick works through zgemma h1 and how do I side load it on to the zgemma

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hi can u let me no if the fire stick works through zgemma h1 and how do I side load it on to the zgemma

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I got excited about buying a box and bought the mxq in eBay last Friday with the 20% discount on PayPal transactions. Maybe I should have got a 2gb version or the firestick.

There's plenty of guides about sideloading kodi on a firestick. http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-kodi-on-amazon-fire-tv/

Mxq is not too bad a box , it's just that the mx111 has a extra 1gb ram which gives a extra bit of speed .

I have a M8S box (about £35 from fleabay) and a fire stick, both work equally well however I prefer the fire stick and using an app like apps 2fire its easy to side load any android app (not all work well though this is where the M8S wins), use firestarter to customize your start screen. Also the fire stick can be powered from the usb on the tv meaning no external power needed.

Once set up they both run Kodi equally well but I just prefer the fire stick, See my thread for using Kodi VU+ PVR, its been real head scratcher.

Don't buy a cheap android box. Head android dev for kodi has quit. any DECENT android device will be fine.
all these cheap ''fully loaded'' boxes that are all over eBay and Amazon use non standard API's and stuff which pretty soon kodi won't support.

Don't buy a cheap android box. Head android dev for kodi has quit. any DECENT android device will be fine.
all these cheap ''fully loaded'' boxes that are all over eBay and Amazon use non standard API's and stuff which pretty soon kodi won't support.

Got my mxq delivered and an air remote (never knew they existed until a few days ago).

I was hoping to get VU+ PVR working for Kodi. No chance. While the Linux and Windows versions of Kodi have PVR support, Android is next to useless.

Also tried timote (kept crashing when loading), dream droid (okay for sd, but stutters on hd). Most other apps I tried had adverts plastered over them.

Fortunately before the zgemma I had a Acer Revo micro PC. This has been moved to the bedroom and is happily using the VU+ PVR for Kodi. Just a pity it needs to load the entire EPG when it starts for my selected bouquet (and creating a custom favourites bouquet is a pain - via zgemma or via the web)

Back