Best USB to flash Zgemma

Sandisk cruzer 8gb, 16gb and both work straight out the packet. No need for low level formatting or anything like that.

---------- Post Merged at 07:56 AM ----------

Even 32gb works straight out the packet as well.

Last edited:
I have an old Kingston Usb 2.0 8GB used it to flash loads of boxes vu duo,zgemma's, techomates never fails to work;)

And all vix images doesn't break any usb ports on any boxes i have done...

dont no why you need certain usb stick just flashed image off
a ten year old external usb 40 gb hdd nothing more than quick format

Last edited:
most e2 forums suggest to use a max size of 8gb to flash boxes,i use kingston,cruzer and integral and all work all 8gb .

I think the real reason behind people using certain brands is because there's so many fakes out there now, an unbranded one won't work, a branded one from fleabay may or may not work. A branded one from Argos will certainly work.

Edit: you can't go wrong with a Kingston [emoji6]

Last edited:
I personally dont think there is a problem with most USB sticks, only with how they are prepared before flashing, Ive used plenty in the past with few problems. The best USB to flash with are small in capacity as they can be prepared quickly so the smaller the better in my book, I have several 2gb & 4gb sticks that I flash with plus have used a few 8gb sticks without issues.
I know of a friend who by mistake thought he needed to use his 1tb storage drive to flash....so he low level formatted it with hddguru then fat32 with windows.....7+ hours later he was ready to flash....& it worked so size isn't an issue just the time it takes to prep

many had cheap sticks and no matter how many times they formatted them and setup again they failed every time,quality counts as you will see in the future of what difference there is.

I agree there are some USB sticks that simply will not flash no matter what you do to them but I think most of the problem posts are not so much faulty USB's as poor preparation & therefore the box is not reading from them, simply answer is prep the sticks properly & then IF still not flashing try another usb. I see many posts saying tried several sticks & still not getting anywhere...I do not accept its dodgy usb's

Last edited:
why try to flash from boot usb stick if you have box preloaded
with openatv any drive front or back port fat32 create folder
imagebackup put in download zip folder mt or woosh image
flash from menu software management online|local devices
your usb stick or hdd this works (not if people having trouble have no image loaded)

Stop installing vix. In my opinion the usb port always breaks after a vix install

This is exactly what happened to me. I was using a Sandisk Cruiser Facet 16Gb.

My box arrived with OpenATV installed. I played around with it got bored and installed the Wooshman image, got bored again and installed the ViX image, got bored then found that I couldn't used that USB stick again!

I've been having to flash the box on the fly. Even after returning to the Wooshman image I'm still finding that the box won't read the USB stick

I dug out an old 8Gb mSD card and USB adapter and that's working fine. :)

I heard that you are not supposed to take the USB stick in or out whilst it's turned on, is this true ?
It is USB, by design USB is made to be hot-swappable. Some will argue that you shouldn't. I have hot swapped USB's since they first came out, that is the point of them. Up to 127 USB devices which can be removed and inserted at any time.

This is exactly what happened to me. I was using a Sandisk Cruiser Facet 16Gb.

My box arrived with OpenATV installed. I played around with it got bored and installed the Wooshman image, got bored again and installed the ViX image, got bored then found that I couldn't used that USB stick again!

I've been having to flash the box on the fly. Even after returning to the Wooshman image I'm still finding that the box won't read the USB stick

I dug out an old 8Gb mSD card and USB adapter and that's working fine. :)

Zgemmas stop the usb being bootable if you allow the box to boot with the flash drive still inserted in my experience.
I think it must be some sort of failsafe to stop the box being reflashed when you reboot.

I've flashed Zgemmas with ViX hundreds of times and never had a problem with the usb stick.
I've also never had a usb stick that won't flash if prepared properly.

Back