Bird nest: Structural engineers in action

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Structural Engineers in Action

Whether you're a bird person or not, this is stunning!!! Not to detract from the sheer magic of it, but in practical terms, how many trips would the birds have to make with that tiny little quantity of mud/clay it could carry and how far from the nest is the source?

If you take the construction of a circular bowl in your stride as instinctive, how does the bird come up with the windbreak/entrance design that shields the eggs/chicks from the elements and at what point in fashioning the bowl do they start to construct it?

bn1.jpg

bn2.jpg

bn3.jpg

bn4.jpg

bn5.jpg

bn6.jpg

bn7.jpg

bn8.jpg

bn9.jpg

bn10.jpg

bn11.jpg

bn12.jpg

bn13.jpg

bn14.jpg

bn15.jpg

Even if you think you could build this - try it without using your hands!

What a GREAT CREATOR the DIVINE is!

-

Clever hard working little things but haven't they made it on a window opening?, i hope someone doesn't open the window and knock it off!.

Clever hard working little things but haven't they made it on a window opening?, i hope someone doesn't open the window and knock it off!.

I did notice that and asked them about it, they said the house had been repossessed due to the recession and was now unoccupied lol :leaving:

Ha, hopefully it will stay unoccupied!.

Our last house had a group of house martins build a nest against the side of the house just under the soffits. The house was pebble dashed which they seemed to like as they came back every year whilst living there for 7 years, fast little buggers!.

They apparently arrive in the UK during spring and are here until the autumn when they return to Africa - The RSPB: Advice: Will the house martins have left their nests by the time our apartments are due to be decorated?

540px-Delichon_urbica_NRM.jpg

Back