Blinking Red LED on External Hard Drive.

Genesis

Okay so I've looked around the internet and none of the solutions I've seen there, short of getting a new hard-drive, worked. So I'm looking here because my hard-drive used to work on my wii, now it just goes and starts blinking with a little red light and making a clicking noise as it trys to start but never actually does. I've tried taking the cord out and using either of the Two USB ports but neither works and gets the External hard drive running. it works at a few, very few, choice moments which is unacceptable.

Have you tried to use it with your PC?? If you load "WBFS Manager" onto your PC and it "sees" your HDD, then it is a problem with your Wii. Did it always blink a red light?? What do you mean it works a a few choice moments??
Give as much information as you can, the way I see it, there is only three things it could be,
1 the Wii
2 the leads
3 the HDD

If I remember correctly, you were only using a 32GB flash drive, did you update to an External HDD? let us know what type of HDD you are using..... More info = more chance of a solution.
Wheelo

Have you tried to use it with your PC?? If you load "WBFS Manager" onto your PC and it "sees" your HDD, then it is a problem with your Wii. Did it always blink a red light?? What do you mean it works a a few choice moments??
Give as much information as you can, the way I see it, there is only three things it could be,
1 the Wii
2 the leads
3 the HDD

If I remember correctly, you were only using a 32GB flash drive, did you update to an External HDD? let us know what type of HDD you are using..... More info = more chance of a solution.
Wheelo

I don't ever think i was able to use a normal Flash Drive, this was the first External i had used at all and yes, it works perfectly with my computer the second i plug it in it just loads up BUT, only one one of my USB ports the other ports do the exact same as when it is plugged into my wii. It just flashes red, but no clicking. It has a Solid green color when it is working properly and i am able to access it never has it blinked red before. And by a few choice moments i mean if i keep messing and unplugging the cord, it loads up and no red light and i can access a game and play it for a while, if the hard drive looses the power it goes and start being tempermental again. The hard drive i am using, and have been since i modded my wii from here, is a Fc? L-602 only thing on the outside of the harddrive, inside says something about WD-Western Digital couldn't make out anything about what model it is.

You can see what games are on it using WBFS manager(on PC)??? then it sounds like only 1 of two things

1 the HDD
2 the lead

what you can do to narrow it down is to try use another lead and see if you still have problems. Do you have a friend with the wii done? if so, try their HDD, if this works it is not the Wii.
the fact you are having trouble on some of your ports on the PC is an unusual one, but would make me lean towards a HDD problem, if so, you would probably get more help from the gadgety type people if you posted in the Peripherals thread , as they wouldn't be as inclined to read Wii threads, maybe if there is a mod on at the minute, they would move this thread into the peripherals section for you.

What is the "Lead"? And i've read around it might not be receiving enough electricity, so maybe only one port on my laptop gives enough power to le tit function normally. and on my wii im not sure how to fix that.

Your USB lead (cable) it wouldn't suddenly have the need for more power than previously, there are cables you can get that have two usb attachments on them to increase the power input(see picture below), but I honestly don't think that is your problem.
65449319_1-Pictures-of-IOMEGA-PRESTIGE-320GB-USB-PORTABLE-HD-lots-of-movies-cn-watch-at-DVD-play.jpg

The cord the Hard Drive came with worked fine, But i failed to mention that the specific cord was ran over and may no longer have supplied the correct amount of voltage, i have tried other cords and they would work for a while, and then just do what i have been saying is happening the red flashing light along with the green as a clicking sound of it trying to start properly but never does. I have tried a few cords none of them seem to work properly.

Have you many games stored on this HDD, and do you have a second HDD (or one you can borrow) the reason I ask is, if you copy the info currently on the HDD to another HDD, then format your original HDD, re-copy the info again, and see what happens.

the fact you say that your lead(cable) was run over, does that mean that the HDD could have been run over too?? Also, what in the name of all that is good runs over a HDD in a bedroom/ games room??

I have about 20 games on the hard drive, and have tried added a few to see if that would help but it didn't, don't know why i would think it would do something the Lead was ran over outside, the hard-drive was still in my pocket and never fell out only the cord as it wasn't connected to anything at the time, i transferred my Wii to a friends house and the cord fell out and was ran out and it rained as well, i found it the next morning the metal male/female connecter dented in. and the best i could do i would say is try to put all the games on my Laptop, format and try again, not sure what that will do but it's worth trying.

I have about 20 games on the hard drive, and have tried added a few to see if that would help but it didn't, don't know why i would think it would do something the Lead was ran over outside, the hard-drive was still in my pocket and never fell out only the cord as it wasn't connected to anything at the time, i transferred my Wii to a friends house and the cord fell out and was ran out and it rained as well, i found it the next morning the metal male/female connecter dented in. and the best i could do i would say is try to put all the games on my Laptop, format and try again, not sure what that will do but it's worth trying.

ok im certainly no expert but after reading this post i would say its your lead - whether it be the power cable or just the usb lead depending on what WD HDD you have. what you have to remember if its the power cord and you are trying others it could be the voltage thats different. Can you upload a photo of the HDD and the cables. Most HDD's do have the name on the front somewhere and the model and size on the back, if you can give us that info it might help someone who knows more about HDD's
But sounds like you cable is damaged by water and where it was run over and by keep putting into either wii or HDD you could be doing more damage.
Good thing is you dont have to many games on the HDD, but as wheelo said if you have WBFS manager load games to lappy ( if you have space, as you only have 20 games it shouldnt take up much room if they are small files) then either get a new HDD or a new lead from the likes maplins or ebay or a local computer shop.

I have just googled images and there are various WD HDD's on there if its small it may well be the passport, but without knowing its hard to say. does it have a power and a usb cable or just the usb -if so its more likely to be the my passport 1
images

Last edited:
For my money Genesis, try with a new lead/cable first off, that would seem to be the cause, especially if you ran it over, then left it out in the rain.
Please let us know how you get on

That is what plan on trying, I'm currently using my 36GB flash drive to run at least 1-3 games that should solve it for now.

So, how did you get on Genesis, there really is no point in getting solution suggestions if you don't tell us if they worked or not.:whistling:

I think you can change your usb first, if this not works then move your data to other hard drive and then format it and recopy your data ,if both procedure fail ,then you need to contact to customer care of hardisk.

Back