Bye Bye Sky

balld

In Ireland and looking for advice on what to get & where to start
ive cancelled my sky after 14 years. good riddance
Now what advice can someone offer me as to getting back on the tv again.
Sky has a great interface and i guess its a similar product i'm looking for - the ability to see 7 days - record and series link is a must
Not interested in sports or movies.
Just standard channels to get going
Also Saorview - but thats not a priority.

Anyone able to recommend a complete idiots guide as to where to start looking

THanks

You will need an Enigma2 receiver to have a box that looks/feels/works like Sly, several makes/models to pick from depending on what your options are at your house & your budget, as you are in Ireland it may be best for someone who is also in Ireland to point you in the right direction as an Ire sub is required

As i have an existing Sky Satellite dish its probably best to stick with satellite.
Ill go and google IPTV now and see what that is - :)

I think Saorview is IPTV - If so its both I'm after in the long run !
open to ideas for both - but primarily Satellite with record facility

Yes it is, bear with me - i'm only starting this epic journey after a ling suffering Sky contract.
This is all new to me,

I still cant figure out what IPTV - Its streaming ? isn't it?
If it is its no good for me.

Back to original request - Satellite advice please!

Hi Balld,
I'm living in Ireland and haven't had S*y for years... Wouldn't pay for repeats and the rest of their sh*t...
Anyway... I have a Zgemma H2s receiver with Wooshmans build and a IPTV subscription...
You have a 7 day program guide (EPG) but not sure on the recording as I don't bother... Everything you want to
watch you can get on the player which comes with the receiver...
If you need any help just P.M me and I'll guide you through it....

what you will probably end up with:- using your Sat feeds for FTA (although there are still many channels available on Sat c/s, just not HD), add an IPTV Sub for Ireland/Euro to receive HD, live sports, ppv etc plus an endless list of extra's that will make you wonder why you paid so much for so long to get so little!

The look,feel of the box is down to the image used & the plugins added (the Sly look is a skin we add to builds for ease of use to ex Sly clients). With Enigma2 you also get 7 days EPG, single/series/multipule recordings (some have issue with recording but never had a problem myself).

goto youtube & search for Edision (Ire guy promotes the box & build) or look for 'Wooshbuild infinity' to see how these boxes can look/function

Hi balld i have a zgemma h2h box that i use for sly and iptv. to be honest it isn't great for iptv but i love the set up on it and the fact you get sly free view channels which is a must for me. I am always looking a t different boxes for iptv ans sly as i definitely want to keep the sly. You can get a streaming box for around £30-£50 that will be great for iptv but as i say i do not know if a enigma2 box will improve the iptv side?

thanks fro all your replies, I odnt think my internet is strong enough for an IPTV option, If anyone from Ireland can recommend a box that has a 7 day EPG and has record options and series link.

thanks

thanks fro all your replies, I odnt think my internet is strong enough for an IPTV option, If anyone from Ireland can recommend a box that has a 7 day EPG and has record options and series link.

thanks
Hi Balld,
I live in Dublin and have *irgin broadband. My sister lives in Cavan where the reception isn't great... She has Vodafone broadband and it works fine... Just have to make sure its unlimited ....

as you are in Ireland an 'Edision OS Nino' & a USB pen drive or external HDD (Edision ship from Ireland). I say Edision above the Zgemma's... reasons are many & varied but Id opt for Edision unless you require an internal HDD (not really needed with all the catchup services & search abilities of these boxes). Internet speed is key for IPTV, it can run on as little as 6mb but you really want it to be up in the high teens for it to run smoothly.

I Agree, i dont think it is up to running a decent iptv service, a box for sat and iptv would be your best option, but of course there is no RTE channels an sat cs any longer, you could change your bb provider or at least change to a higher speed, do you have an roof aerial cable coming into the house?

Not a chance of a new provider in this location,
No ariel either,
I think im going to buy Soarview anyway to get the Irish channels.
Its just to have a record feature on the Free to Air channels -
Im not looking to get any sports or movie channels (yet) but I'm looking for options and a reasonable bullet proof recommendation for a sat BOX

|THnaks

Hi the furmuler F1 box with 2 seconds tunert get aerial view all irish channels plus FTA with the option to add iptv

Not a chance of a new provider in this location,
No ariel either,
I think im going to buy Soarview anyway to get the Irish channels.
Its just to have a record feature on the Free to Air channels -
Im not looking to get any sports or movie channels (yet) but I'm looking for options and a reasonable bullet proof recommendation for a sat BOX

|THnaks

I have an Edision OSmini for sale that would do what you want,
twin sat tuners, so you can record one while watching another, simply add a USB stick or HDD.
I'm only selling it as I'm moving house and this is my secondary box.
I can set this up to look like sly for you if you wanted, I [ think ] I can even scan in the ROI channels as well,
plug and play almost, all you'd need to do is adjust the screen settings to suit your TV.

http://www.techkings.org/threads/edision-os-mini-twin-sat.142284/

Back