cant flash image

I use a 1gb Kingston data traveller for flashing boxes, quick format to fat 32, add image files and flash. Done over 10 boxes with the same usb, just quick format after each time.

Its nothing to do with the make of the usb stick that causes the problems.
The usb devices when used on the zgemma to flash it have a tendency to have their MBR (Master Boot Record) and or their MPT (Master Partition Table) corrupted, and a million windows formats wont fix this problem if it occurs - you simply need to use a low level formatting tool and then a "normal" format.
This has been explained and discussed to death on the forum......

Last edited:
Hi Guys

im having the same issue tbh, just purchased a brand fire new boxed zgemma star s2 .

think its running open atv 5.1

sandisk ultra 32gb usb 3 backward to 2.0 low level full format. then windows full format no joy box just booted straight up.
verbatim usb 2.0 2gb full low level again and then full windows format box booted straight up again
just doing a 16gb usb 2.0 sandisk cruzer contour full low level inc windows type format afterwards see how we get on.

do you just copy and past the zgemma folder over or split it down so it advises sh1 or go further on just drop the 7 files staright into the usb drive pen. ????

think im doing it as I should

cheers guys

Sparky1 Just checking but have you followed every step for OpenATV: low level format USB using HDDGuru then full fat32 format using windows, then load the yellow zgemma folder with the h2 folder inside it to your USB.
place USB in rear port & power on box from the large rear power button, as the box starts now press the front power button to start the flash process (OpenATV needs the front button pushing to flash)

Hi

ive low level and full level full format both off the guruhdd and windows then placed the latest unzipped Zgemma star 2s Vix 3.2.021 sucmnsee full! Backup 02.12.2015 onto the usb stick. so when you open the usb drive to look it advises zgemma folder

box powered down. insert usb into rear, power up using rear power button. front screen advises boot. didn't realise you had to press the front power button until it read flsh on front screen so as soon as it advises boot you press power button on the front. must of miss read the guide.

---------- Post Merged at 06:36 PM ----------

ok

fully done the format on a sandisk cruzer contour 16gb usb 2.0 stick. placed on it Zgemma star 2s Vix 3.2.021 sucmnsee full! Backup 02.12.2015 inserted into rear of my zgemma star s2 box. powered the unit up, usb flashes blue and boot appears on the front screen. press front zgemma poer button unit just boots straight up to open atv 5.1 circle on the screen.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

can I just the use the open atv 5.1 with settings changed and add my line??????? or are we better with sucmnsee ???

Hi

It must be the usb pen drive but you would of thought out of 3 of them 1 would of worked, and yes after downloading the Zgemma star 2s Vix 3.2.021 sucmnsee full! Backup 02.12.2015 I just placed the item saying zgemma on my usb drive.

what a head tester.

---------- Post Merged at 07:23 PM ----------

whoop whoop whoop whoop get in. 3rd attempt on the verbatim 2gb usb 2.0 drive. its done it.

low level format using hddguru. full format after via windows. copied and pasted the zgemma Zgemma star 2s Vix 3.2.021 sucmnsee full! Backup 02.12.2015 folder onto it. placed usb drive in rear of the zgemma, powered it up, boot on front screen and staright into flash "flsh" about 4 mins booted up powered it down. remove usb powered back up nice dark looking alien type screen SUCMNSEE. must of been the usb mbr etc.

so that's that done, hope this helps others out to.

as I understand it not all usb's will work but as long as its prepared correctly (low level format with hddguru, FAT32 Full format with Windows) you are in with a chance, I find small USB2 (2gb/4gb) drives work well & are quick to prep

Tried everything mentioned in here using my 8GB Sandisk pen drive and it did not work. I am disappointed. Why is this so impossible to setup? Do they deliberately make their software unusable? Pathetic!

I had a lot of problems trying to get zgemma s2 open atv flash . After reading alot of I found or stumbled on to this . Wat worked for me was I bought SanDisk cruder blade 8gb from argos they worked straight out of pack no formatting required just transfered zgemma file to stick . Also I disconnected box completely then just power lead and usb . I also held standby button front of box before pressing white button back of box . My box flashed straight away so connected hdmi and sky corrext cables . Hope this helps . Woosh build 5.1 and setup also excellent thumbs up

Zgemma H2s stuck on boot

Hi everyone - not sure if anyone can help or can let me know what the situation is here. i purchased the Zgemma box early this year and flashed to wobshman V4 and has been running great,. I went on holiday last week and left the box ready to record a few programs but when i arrived home the box was displaying along message with its of lines with a timing of around 3.30am but no date.
The box was displaying and stuck on BOOT - the wobshman v4 screen was displaying but nothing else.
I have tried refreshing from start without luck - just stays on the boot screen.
Is there anything i can do or is the box knackered?
if it is kaput is there a repair agent or are they throw away.

Thanks for any help

You should be able to just flash it again from scratch.
You may still be able to ftp to the box if you need to retrieve your line.

Hi, I have been having a mare with flashing the H2S box with software i already has been passed. I downloaded the latest VIX software from Zegmma.tv onto my USB stick and it flashed straight away.

i dont believe this is anything to do with the way you format it or the type of usb its to do with the boot flag.

When the zgemma bios powers up it checks for any external disks to boot from first. If it doesnt find any with a boot flag it boots its internal disk

The flash process on the zgemma seems to remove the boot flag so subsequent boots ignore the usb

To reenable the boot flag use parted on linux (i used fdisk to show if the boot flah was present of not)

sudo fdisk /dev/sdd

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.27.1).

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sdd1 63 30302207 30302145 14.5G c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

You'll notice the Boot section is empty.

Now run this command

sudo parted /dev/sdd set 1 boot on

And run fdisk again:

sudo fdisk /dev/sdd

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.27.1).

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sdd1 * 63 30302207 30302145 14.5G c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

If you remove the usb directly after the zgemma finishes flash (e.g changes from FLSH to boot) then the boot flag remains.

totally agree, the receivers ignore the USB you are trying to flash with not because zgemma's are fussy as some have said but because the box doesnt see the USB as a boot drive or doesnt see the boot sector. You have explained it far better than I can however I've always held the view that there are no issues flashing zgemma's via USB you just need to get the USB into a state that the box can read from it.

Back