Cantona takes up Cosmos role

joekingman

VIP Member
TK Supporter
19th January 2011

Eric Cantona has returned to the professional game after agreeing to become director of soccer at New York Cosmos.

608.jpg

Cantona: Excited by Cosmos project

The American franchise, which became world-famous in the 1970s after signing high-profile names such as Pele and Franz Beckenbauer,won five NASL championships before folding in 1985.

But they are set to return to competitive action, with a British-led board hoping to restore the club to former glories.

Pele has been brought back as club president and the new board wanted another big name to look after team affairs, luring Manchester United legend Cantona.

"I am very honoured to join the legendary New York Cosmos," he said. "It's a big project, a wonderful project.

"The Cosmos are very strong, beautifully made, with a great past. It's kind of a mix between football and art."

Cantona's role will be to help assemble a squad ready for the rebirth of the Cosmos in 2013, when they hope to become the 20th MLS team.

World-famous

"I will do everything I can to help us first find our way to regain the No.1 position in the United States, and then for us to become one of the best clubs in the world," added the former France striker.

Since bringing his playing career to a premature end at the age of just 30 in 1997, Cantona has appeared in several films and for the French beach football team.

The 44-year-old will be officially unveiled in a blaze of publicity by Cosmos chairman Paul Kemsley, a former vice-chairman of Tottenham who is close friends with Sir Alan Sugar and Newcastle owner Mike Ashley.

Cosmos' vice-chairman is David Beckham's ex-manager, Terry Byrne, while former Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry is a director.

Former Coventry and USA winger Cobi Jones has been appointed associate sporting director while there is speculation Beckham could join the club when his LA Galaxy contract expires in July 2012.

Back