1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chances of recovering files from 3 years ago on an external HDD?

Discussion in 'General PC Chat' started by TheSource, Nov 11, 2017.

1. TheSource

TheSource Registered

Hey guys bit of a strange one but my uncle gave me an external HDD 3 years ago. It had all his home movies on which he transferred to a bigger drive. I'm sure you've guessed it by now but that HDD has now broke. However the external HDD has only been used to store a few things on but has been formatted 3/4 times i guess over the years. What's the chances of recovering his home movies?

2. pabloescaban

pabloescaban TK Veteran Forum Supporter

if it's been formatted a few times there's probably not much hope but Recuvva from Piriform, I used it once and it found some movies but not all.
    It finds pictures better for some reason but might be worth a shot as it's free

3. TheSource

TheSource Registered

Great I'll try that. It's been formatted about 3 times only the basic format windows offers. However it has 250GB on it already and it's only a 500GB drive? I guess thats overwritten anything that was on it?

4. pabloescaban

pabloescaban TK Veteran Forum Supporter

yes but recuvva can find files that have been overwritten

from memory, it was a fairly long and tedious excercise :(

5. steptoe

steptoe TK Veteran

photorec

really good and fairly powerful,
    make sure you are recovering to a different drive than the one you are trying to read

6. BeakyFord

BeakyFord TK Veteran

Hirens boot CD has a multitude of tools to help recover drives, very handy software :)