Windows 7 Cloned SSD to HDD, PC now on a go slow

Guido

I have just cloned my OS disk (Kingston V300 60Gb SSD) as it has become a tad full, I had a spare WD AV 320Gb drive (sata III, 7200 rpm)

OS in Win 7 64 bit ultimate
dual core 3.2GHz
6 Gb RAM

I have now a slight problem, and no this isn't just the SSD vs HDD debate on speed, this is that all knowing feeling of "something is wrong" slowness to the machine.

Boot now takes about 5 mins, login about 2 mins, and every program takes at least 2 mins to open.

I have cleaned up the disk, defragged it, (lack of houskeeping prior to clone!)

Still really slow. So my thoughts are is it to do with 4k alignment? Not sure on this one.
Drivers are ok.
Reluctant to do a reinstall, as that's hours of pain due to her and files saved anywhere :(

Suggestions welcome! (ideally constructive)

ssd will speed up booting tenfold its old now dual core and lack off housekeeping not helped reinstall best bet thats good thing about 10 can do full install will keep all old files

Hi mate, not sure if you have done this, but if you partition your drive then only install and download to the new partition, reinstalling c: drive cleaning and defragging is much easier and quicker, a good registry cleaner also helps.
Regards Jim

since you 've already cleaned up your disk and defragged it, there are few ways left to solve the problem:
1. refistry clearer can help improve the overall performance of Windows including startup, though this is not always recommended.
2. erase everything and re-install Windows, before you do this please backup all the data needed and free AOMEI Backupper is recommended to do this.
3. or you could upgrade your disk (keep only os in your ssd and store other data in you WD is an option)

if you were using SSD Trim support on your SSD and cloned it to a non SSD drive you'll need to disable Trim as it will still be enabled on your older drive which will be slowing up Windows as your not running SSD drive now. Start / All Programs / Accessories, right click command prompt, select run as admin then check if Trim is enabled by typing in the command window:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 means TRIM support disabled.

DisableDeleteNotify = 0 means TRIM support enabled.

To disable trim which is only for SSD Drives enter this command:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1

reboot and defrag again.

Back