cod liver oil V salmon oil for dogs coat/skin

pabloescaban

VIP Member
I've been giving my dog one codliver oil capsule per day, only a small capsule, probably 3 or 4 drops in each capsule.
I've just been reading about salmon oil, which is supposed to be much better, but the amount that people are using seems a lot to me, most folk are adding a tablespoon full to their dog's food daily!

That would be like 10 or more of the capsules I'm giving her now...not sure this is a good idea.

the salmon oils are available in big bottles - a litre or half a litre at a time...do any of the dog owners here use fish oils and if so which ones and how much? - cheers

What food are you feeding her? I've found a decent quality, high meat content grain free food makes my dogs coat look good. The place I get mine from does a salmon food which will obviously contain salmon oil, but fish doesn't agree with my mutt so he has a lamb, duck and rabbit. People often comment on his coat.

I've been giving my dog one codliver oil capsule per day, only a small capsule, probably 3 or 4 drops in each capsule.
I've just been reading about salmon oil, which is supposed to be much better, but the amount that people are using seems a lot to me, most folk are adding a tablespoon full to their dog's food daily!

That would be like 10 or more of the capsules I'm giving her now...not sure this is a good idea.

the salmon oils are available in big bottles - a litre or half a litre at a time...do any of the dog owners here use fish oils and if so which ones and how much? - cheers
What breed is your dog and how old?

Twelve, Border Collie cross breed.
She's very, very active, runs all the time, playing all the time. She's not one for sitting still, she has a bit of dry skin which makes her itch. I've adjusted her diet trying to cut out whichever food it was that was causing the itching to no avail, even on a diet of boiled rice and boiled chicken she was itching just the same so it's not food related, this is when i found that she had dry skin

Twelve, Border Collie cross breed.
She's very, very active, runs all the time, playing all the time. She's not one for sitting still, she has a bit of dry skin which makes her itch. I've adjusted her diet trying to cut out whichever food it was that was causing the itching to no avail, even on a diet of boiled rice and boiled chicken she was itching just the same so it's not food related, this is when i found that she had dry skin
I have a 14yr old border collie that could not get up and walk 12 months ago and I found a product called Yumove from these people that allowed him to get back to something like normal within a few weeks. So from the same people I suggest you try this YuMEGA Itchy Dog 250ml at Fetch.co.uk | The Online Pet Store

That's not a bad price actually for 250ml.
She'd only have 5ml per day so it would last her almost 2 months.

I'll order a bottle now, cheers matey!

That's not a bad price actually for 250ml.
She'd only have 5ml per day so it would last her almost 2 months.

I'll order a bottle now, cheers matey!
May I add at that time 12 months ago the vet wanted to put him down as he also has a tumor on his spleen , he said he only had a few weeks to live before it burst. I was told about Tumeric and he has 2 capsules per day and the size of tumor has reduced by over half. Google Tumeric as it is an interesting read and that also may help your dog. Tumeric capsules from Holland and Barrett

Last edited:
I read about Tumeric years ago and have it in my diet regularly (I'll put a recipe up in the recipe section for bacon and lentil soup later which uses quite a bit of tumeric)

She's not got any tumors at the moment but she's fast approaching the age where stuff like this is gonna happen sooner or later, just hope I die first lol.

My mutt's been a bit better since starting the codliver oil but waiting on the salmon oil, looks a bit pricey at first but the cod liver oil capsules ain't cheap and don't work half as good

an old trick for a good coat , a raw egg once a week. fish oils are beneficial in many ways for dogs, coat/skin/ joint aid, glucosamine or glucosamine/chondroitin combined, will particularly help joints , but good for coat too, I did answer a post you made re ur dog having 'runs'
when you use fish oil or it's derivatives , it can cause soft stool too, after about 2 months use or so, just taper down dose & wait til poop settles down & restart original doseage

an old trick for a good coat , a raw egg once a week. fish oils are beneficial in many ways for dogs, coat/skin/ joint aid, glucosamine or glucosamine/chondroitin combined, will particularly help joints , but good for coat too, I did answer a post you made re ur dog having 'runs'
when you use fish oil or it's derivatives , it can cause soft stool too, after about 2 months use or so, just taper down dose & wait til poop settles down & restart original doseage

Yeah read the other post earlier but been V V busy :)

Prior to her getting the squits, she was having a scrambled egg a few times per week and a few drops of salmon oil on her main meal but i stopped everything when she started with the runs and she gets boiled white rice and boiled chicken breast now and very little else until her gut returns to normal.

She seems fine now but if i deviate from this regime she gets the runs again....I've a feeling the course of anti biotics have knocked her gut bacteria all to cock and she's gonna need probiotics, gonna start sneaking a bit of greek yoghurt into her chicken every day and also a few raw liquidised veg here and there for fibre.

She eating like a horse and running around like a puppy now but I want to get back to her regular diet of fish, chicken, eggs and all the things she used to eat before, but it's looking like that may be a while away as at least one of them is causing the runs, maybe more than one so I'm going to have to take it slow and ease her gradually onto a different foodstuff every week.

After reading your earlier post, she had some mashed spuds today with her chicken and rice :(y):

the trouble with probiotics is sometimes they initially give the dog 'the runs' too. I'm in Ireland
you can get a vet prescribed one here, comes in a large plastic syringe, which is cranked up for measured dose each day, they take it for 3 days. L notice from your posts you had issues with some vets, me too, they sometimes need to listen more to we the owners ,rather than keep trolling out meds as matter of course, knowing full well we'll pay no matter what,that being said there are some good ones out there too, if shes eating the spud, not too much butter, low fat spread best, the poo with firm up quickly. The last year of my springers life, he had lots of similar gastro issues, lots of vet visits , lots of ab's. I suspected he had picked up giardia bug, vet disagreed, after months my aunt's friend, also a vet, suggested same, when my vet was asked to treat this, the issues finally cleared up. Sadly they never picked up on a liver cancer he had til 2 days before he died from it,they gave him a clean bill of health 2 days before this too. However sudden onset liver failure is common enough, they should have picked up on the cancer. Got a young springer now and a different vet.....

i kept greyhounds for years and as said by samsid above , i used to give them 1 egg in warm milk (so egg doesnt run through them ) once a day , but i dont think u would need 1 a day , my dogs were running at the time , maybe 2 or 3 times a week . great for dogs coat , u will see a change in first week m8

i kept greyhounds for years and as said by samsid above , i used to give them 1 egg in warm milk (so egg doesnt run through them ) once a day , but i dont think u would need 1 a day , my dogs were running at the time , maybe 2 or 3 times a week . great for dogs coat , u will see a change in first week m8
egg is good, my springer pup gets one a week, coat is glossy. My grandad kept greyhounds back in the 60's, they let me 'own' one for a while,at a few tracks too, but was only 7 at the time...

yeah she's had the syringe with the cranked delivery system, looks like choc spread, 'Logic' I think it's called.

she has one or two little squirts of it left.

Until I can rule out the egg yolks and sardine oil as causing the runs she not getting them, it will only be for a few more weeks.

yes, i suspected giardia bug as she's a durty hound, always drinking from filthy water pots and poking around in animal remains - rabitts, squirrels etc so I've given her VeloxA about half hour ago, she getting another dose of it tomorrow as giardia takes 3 consecutive days of the wormer to remove it

yeah she's had the syringe with the cranked delivery system, looks like choc spread, 'Logic' I think it's called.

she has one or two little squirts of it left.

Until I can rule out the egg yolks
thats why u put it in warm milk let it stand 4 cple minutes it wont run through dogs
and sardine oil as causing the runs she not getting them, it will only be for a few more weeks.

yes, i suspected giardia bug as she's a durty hound, always drinking from filthy water pots and poking around in animal remains - rabitts, squirrels etc so I've given her VeloxA about half hour ago, she getting another dose of it tomorrow as giardia takes 3 consecutive days of the wormer to remove it

giardia is evil, it can exist in host ,the dog, for quite a while. My fella had flagyl, a rough antibiotic, for 5 days, then parazole, a derivative of panacur, for a week, took him another 2 weeks, to recover from the treatment, the 'logic contains a 'clay 'to help firm the poo, hopefully she'll be clear of it soon

Back