Comedian Norman Wisdom dies aged 95

noelyf

VIP Member
Comedian Norman Wisdom dies aged 95

Monday 4 October 2010

Comedian and actor Norman Wisdom died today at the age of 95.

152.jpg

Norman Wisdom - died aged 95

His family said he died "peacefully" this evening at the Abbotswood Nursing Home on the Isle of Man.
He had suffered a series of strokes over the past six months.

Wisdom's first break into showbiz came in 1946 at a music hall in Islington, north London, and he won a place in his first Royal Command Performance in 1952.

Rank soon snapped him up for a seven-year contract.

He became so popular that Charlie Chaplin said: "If anyone's going to replace me - it's Norman Wisdom."

In 1981, Wisdom broke with the slapstick tradition and played a doomed cancer victim in a harrowing BBC television play. He won widespread acclaim for his portrayal of a retired salesman in 'Going Gently' opposite Fulton MacKay.

He married showgirl Freda Simpson when he was 27 but they divorced in 1969. They had two children, Nick and Jacqui.

Despite Wisdom's woebegone image he had a sharp business mind and dealt in stocks and shares, laughing all the way to the bank.

When he turned 75 in February 1990, he said he would not appear on television again because most of it was "too smutty".

RIP Norman :(

Ah he was one of the greats Noel, loved his films as a kid,

RIP Norman :(

[video=youtube;pWthVSs8QXw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWthVSs8QXw&feature=related[/video]

RIP Norman

may he R.I.P... I loved him when i was growing up he's famous catch frase [ MR GRIMSDALE ]

A true Legend..

he was a real star I loved all his movies growing up every time i see there on tv i still watch them R.I.P

i also thought he was one of the best, he gave up a career in the usa to look after his kids when his wife left him, met him a few times in the isle of man during the tt races, i stayed in the same town in the north, he was always playing the fool.

ah Mr Wisdom was the biggest fool there was, he lived to a ripe old age god bless him and may he rest now in peace after all his hard work making people laugh for many many years!!! He appeared at our Local Theatre where i work many many years ago.

Sad to say but now the tv will be showing lots of his films i hope so that the kids of today can see how good and funny he really was.
As Joekingman above said MR GRIMSDALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back