Creating Hardlink to Timeshift file failed! Message

grantb

Hi, I'm struggling to initialize my USB device, using the WooshBuild v2 for Zgemma H2S. After following the instructions in the guide after restarting the box after initialization I keep getting this message - Creating Hardlink to Timeshift file failed!
The Filesystem on your Timeshift-Device does not support hardlinks.
Make sure it is formatted in EXT2 or EXT3!

(Erno1) Operation not permitted

I have tried formatting 2 different hard drives via EaseUS Partition Master to EXT2 and EXT3 but, with no success, and still receive the above message

Has anyone got a solution for this, please!

What happens if you format the usb stick in windows using the normal format procedure and then put it in the box to initialise?

Let the box create the partitions, don't use Partition Master.

check your timeshift setting location: menu/setup/recordings & timeshift/timeshift settings. should be set to media/hdd/timeshift.
id also check the hdd is mounted as HDD & not SD1: menu/info panel/plugins/mount manager (assuming you have timeshift saved on hdd)

Last edited:
What happens if you format the usb stick in windows using the normal format procedure and then put it in the box to initialise?

Let the box create the partitions, don't use Partition Master.

Hi, thanks for the reply. What type of format for the hard drive?

if its a drive to be used for recording etc then a quick ntfs format should be fine, its only the drive you are using to flash the box that needs low level formatting & fat32

I'm having the same issue tried formatting in all different formats still getting the Warning on the screen but it pauses and records and have selected to use as hdd

Last edited:
This happens with me, but only when there are two usb pen drives in the box.

This happens normally as when the box is booted with a USB device in the front port the box see's it as media/hdd and the rear port device being detected as USB something or other. Plugging in the front USB after boot stops this from happening.

If you do need a second device plugged in, if you can take advantage of the micro SD card slot, it doesn't happen and the rear USB remains media/HDD.

Same thing was happening to me.
I reformated my 32g usb stick formatting NTFS and it worked.
I did try front as Wooshman said regarding the front but it was still getting error.
Format NTFS and put it in front worked removed put it in back usb and also worked.

Cheers
Mickyrobbo1

I have this same problem, tried to swap my usb stick for an sd card and get this error every time I change channel, went back to using the usb stick and still get the error?
Is there a solution or is a complete reflash the answer?

I have this same problem, tried to swap my usb stick for an sd card and get this error every time I change channel, went back to using the usb stick and still get the error?
Is there a solution or is a complete reflash the answer?
Format usb to ntfs.
Put it in the front usb power box off by button on back must be this not remote
Start box its will be gone now take out and put in the back and thats it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi, i am having the same issue with timeshift error, if you format it to ntfs does that not delete the swap file /mount? Micky Robbo1, can you give a step by step on how to reslove this issue, thanks.

hi all
this worked for me.

i am using a 16gb usb stick

1.formatt usb to NTFS...put usb stick into pc/laptop whatever u wana call it and right click.when list pops up click on format.select NTFS and format....(yes this will delete everything)
2.put usb in front of box.Press menu then setup.go down to system and press ok.Next select storage devices and select initialisation.your usb will be highlighted and press ok.Initalise (red button)
3.create swap file.press menu>Info panel>Plugins>swap manager.press green to create>select 256 mb>wait until its finished then press activate (red button)then press yellow to autostart.Exit back 2 the start and restart your box.
4.Press menu>info panel>plugins>mount manager>press green and change to:/media/hdd.Press green to save.Then exit back to the start.
5.press menu>setup>recordings&Timeshift>timeshift settings>timeshift location should read /media/hdd/timeshift/.then exit back to the start.
6.press menu>setup>crossEPG>configure and select your storage device.Then press exit once(1).scroll down to Download now and press ok.

hope this helps

Hi Davey,
Thanks for the informative reply.
Was you having timeshift issues and this resolved it?
This only works if you insert into the front of the box?

i was getting the same message thats posted at the top.To be honest im realy new to this but i done what i said in my last post and everything is working perfect agan.im not even sure what timeshift is.im sorry i cant give you a better answer

Much appreciated, will give it a go and let you know how I got on.
Timeshift is the faculty to pause rewind.

Timeshift is the faculty to pause rewind.

Timeshift is the ability to rewind live TV.

Timeshift can be setup to use any port in the box including the microSD if your box has one. Timeshift must have step 2 of Davey's post done or you will get the timeshift error.

Just had this on my box, firstly I deleted my timeshift file by accident ! so rebooted and I presume it created the file again, where the timeshift was been saved after this was set to hdd, I changed it to hdd/timeshift again and this cured the problem

hi all
this worked for me.

i am using a 16gb usb stick

1.formatt usb to NTFS...put usb stick into pc/laptop whatever u wana call it and right click.when list pops up click on format.select NTFS and format....(yes this will delete everything)
2.put usb in front of box.Press menu then setup.go down to system and press ok.Next select storage devices and select initialisation.your usb will be highlighted and press ok.Initalise (red button)
3.create swap file.press menu>Info panel>Plugins>swap manager.press green to create>select 256 mb>wait until its finished then press activate (red button)then press yellow to autostart.Exit back 2 the start and restart your box.
4.Press menu>info panel>plugins>mount manager>press green and change to:/media/hdd.Press green to save.Then exit back to the start.
5.press menu>setup>recordings&Timeshift>timeshift settings>timeshift location should read /media/hdd/timeshift/.then exit back to the start.
6.press menu>setup>crossEPG>configure and select your storage device.Then press exit once(1).scroll down to Download now and press ok.

hope this helps

very helpful mate. cheers

Back