Crysler PT Cruiser rattling rear breaks

wooshman

VIP Member
Hiya

Firstly, I really am in the wrong section of this forum for my comfort zone. My car starts or it doesn't. That isn't quite true as I have a bit of an idea but nothing I would say is useful.

Anyway......

Since getting my Cruiser 2.0 Classic 03 plate last November, I have had a rattling near side rear. A long story short has been to the garage for the MOT and passed. The rattling is the rear break calipers. They gave been greased up but still rattle just as much as before.

The garage, who have nothing to gain or lose by doing work for me, have said replacing the calipers would not help and that shims are not available for the rear pads. The pads are good as are the disks.

The car has done 110k. They say the caliper holders? have worn which is why they rattle.

Is there a solution please? I love the car but people outside the car just hear a rattling lump in the street. Oh, If I apply the foot break a little bit and go over bumps etc th rattling stops until I release the foot break.

Cheers in advance.

Go easy on me, I mess with computers not cars.

:-)

try your dealership for shims.im in canada but it seems to me that a new pad set comes with shims.its most likely the pads rattling rather than the calipers.

Hi, have you tried having a look at the "butterfly" spring on the top edge of the pads? I had one of these in last year with the same thing - rattle from the rear calipers. It turned out although there was plenty of meat left on the pads the spring had corroded so leaving the pad loose to rattle away.

Thanks both for the replies.

Nick, I was told the pads do look fine and that the rattling is wear so happy to look if there are springs, shims and thinggys missing or corroded. Being a mechanical putz, please would you be good enough to find me a google image so I know what I am looking for. This way I can either do it myself or at least know what to get the garage to replace.

Any number of images would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Woosh

---------- Post Merged at 04:43 PM ----------

I found these:

http://www.ptcompany.co.uk/catalogue/popups/brake_pads_pu.htm

The rear ones seem to have a clip, is this the sort of thing you were talking about?

Thanks both for the replies.

Nick, I was told the pads do look fine and that the rattling is wear so happy to look if there are springs, shims and thinggys missing or corroded. Being a mechanical putz, please would you be good enough to find me a google image so I know what I am looking for. This way I can either do it myself or at least know what to get the garage to replace.

Any number of images would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Woosh

---------- Post Merged at 04:43 PM ----------

I found these:

Mintex Brake Pads for the PT Cruiser

The rear ones seem to have a clip, is this the sort of thing you were talking about?

Hi, sorry for the late reply, as usual I have a million things to do!!

Yes the upper pad is the rear one and yes the clip/spring, you can see on the top of the pad, is the offending item.

They quite often go soft or just corrode and fall off.

You do have to lift the caliper completely off its hanger and fully remove the pad to inspect the spring.

Not a difficult job, something most anyone can do.

Good luck.

use
copper slip in the guiders and on the rear of pads ,this has cured most squals and rattles
on most cars i have worked on in the last 30 years
gl al

use
copper slip in the guiders and on the rear of pads ,this has cured most squals and rattles
on most cars i have worked on in the last 30 years
gl al
shouldn't use copper grease anymore on brake parts as interferes with the ABS sensors.
use proper brake grease.

i have not used copper grease on pads for many years,aint no stopping me now:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grin:
i have the same argument with my buddy who is a fellow tech.he will use never seize while i use the anti squeal compound.i was always taught that the grease can run if under high heat,and we all know what happens if it gets on the friction surface.as hard as it is to admit,we both have about the same success rate with our brake jobs.lol

Back