Desktop Switch

skyla20

Hi All

I was wondering what desktop switch to buy i just need it because all my Ethernet ports on my router are full so decided to go for a 5 or 8 port switch but i have no idea to which make is more reliable than the other etc. I have seen this one on the net

TP-Link 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch (TL-SF1005D) Plastic Case by TP-Link

i just need it for a few extra devices in my room and use home plugs through it and will this be alright to do?

and can i use the ports from the router as well as the switch?

thanks all any help is appreciated. ;)

Just go for an unmanaged switch. Really not a lot of difference as long as you choose a reputable name. Read the reviews or ratings and go from there. I would choose a 10/100/1000 (gigabit) switch as it will not really cost anymore and will ensure that now or down the road, it will not be a bottleneck for data delivery. And yes, using the switch downstream from the router will be just fine.

Any of the 10/100 Unman-aged switches will work just fine. They all pretty much do what they say on the tin ;)

That particular TP -Link one you were looking at is as cheap as your going to get @ around £8 & will cover your needs just fine.

Code:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Unmanaged-Desktop-TL-SF1005D-Plastic/dp/B000FNFSPY

And yes, you can use the ports from the router as well as the switch, you need one home plug connected to a port on your router & the second one in your room connected to one of the ports on your new switch.

Just an update i got my switch from amazon and its arrived quite quick for the price its PERFECT honestly so if anyone needs a simple switch for the same thing i needed it for which was extra ethernet ports as mine all ran out on my router then the amazon one for £7.86 is a bargain. Its simple to use and connected straight away and its very small in size.

Back