Digital Camera under £200

Hi ,

Ive got a bit of a budding interest in photography growing , the eldest daughter has just taken a course in photography at the local school so i bought her a Nikon L120 from argos , no i am looking to upgrade mine to something better than the A850 that i have. I am looking for a "bridge" type camera with a decent enough zoom and enough menu options to make a rocket scientist go crazy , not really lol im looking for a decent bridge camera that will take good pics that is sub £200 and possibly captures in RAW.

NEED :
Half decent zoom
Good in low light ( dark at 5 oclcockish now)
NEW , i was open to manufacturer refurbished BUT looking at what they have theres no real saving i can get brand new at the same cost and most shops have sales on so they are even cheaper (fuji s4000 £180 from Argos NEW , refurb from Fuji £200 , crazy other cameras are the same not just from Fuji )

Any ideas guys ? i may just get the Nikon L120 like i bought for the daughter , the father in law bought the Fujo S4000 ( as soon as i mentioned i was thinking of getting a new camera , typical) but im not impressd with the image quality on it.

I personally have the Sony DSC-HX1, but it is last years model and no longer available. I like the look of the Nikon L120, ( I just had a look at the specs) the only thing that I don't like about it is the usage of AA batteries. I prefer a rechargeable battery pack so I can get a second one.
~Most of the fuji cameras are the same. It is reasonably hard to find a good Bridge under £200, but for that money,, you are looking at Fuji's or nikon.
a good comparison site tends to be the Which magazine site, as it tends to be full of honest reviews.

What I would also recommend is visiting a few camera shops and hold the camera that you are going to buy, to see if you like the feel, weight, positioning of controls , etc.

Check out the Canon s95, a pocket camera, but takes great pics. I got mine new last Christmas for 229 USD (about 149 GBP)

Here is a link for a review

Attachments

• Hawaii Aug 2010 067.jpg
    Hawaii Aug 2010 067.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Hawaii Aug 2010 103.jpg
    Hawaii Aug 2010 103.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Hawaii Aug 2010 118.jpg
    Hawaii Aug 2010 118.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Some sample pics from a Canon s90, the predecessor to the s95

These pics were taken by me on my 2010 Hawaii trip

Hawaii Aug 2010 067.jpgHawaii Aug 2010 103.jpgHawaii Aug 2010 118.jpg

I find that its not so much the camera as the person taking the pix. I bought the same cheap camera for £40 a couple of yrs ago a samsung i think but my pix never came out as good as my mates yet we took same pic at same time. The same with my canon same model as a friend, we took same pic but mine still came out bad even with the hand shakey thing on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Cheers all , i ended up buying the same camera as i had bought for the daughter (she got red i got black ) fortunately i went home to Liverpool over christmas and while i was there played in some of the photo shops with their nice sparkly cameras , in my price range and for what i wanted from the camera there were only a few worth looking at from Canon, fuji etc etc so i had a play with those and wasnt impressed tbh ( i may have made a mistake but ill never know lol )
Your definately right to a degree about it being the person behind the camera , even i can tell the difference between a photo taken by me and one taken by the daughter as i ve played around a little more than her with it.

glad you found what suits you! But personally LOL i think you should show us photos from both you and your daughter so we can judge whos is best haha!!! - Think there is a forum on here for photos etc. Be nice to see some of thr things you take piccies of! TBH i can take better piccies on my iphone than i can with a camera - why coz its not complicated!!

Back