Discussion - Best box and app for IPTV recording

thebesh

TK Supporter
Was at my parents over the holidays and they get terrible service through coax on their Freeview box. Thankfully I brought up my Formuler box and the picture quality was SO much better. I thought about getting my parents an IPTV setup, but they tend to record a lot of programmes. This is not something I ever do. As a test last night I tried to record Ghostbusters on BBC1. Looked at the recording this morning and it's stopped after 13mins and seems a bit glitchy. I'm using a Formuler Prox Max 11 with Tivimate.

For those that DO record. What box and app do you use and how reliable is it?
Thanks
📺

Most services have catch-up for popular channels. It can be a pain to record on IPTV as if something happens to stream then will affect the record.

Try using the built-in mytvonline app?

Was at my parents over the holidays and they get terrible service through coax on their Freeview box. Thankfully I brought up my Formuler box and the picture quality was SO much better. I thought about getting my parents an IPTV setup, but they tend to record a lot of programmes. This is not something I ever do. As a test last night I tried to record Ghostbusters on BBC1. Looked at the recording this morning and it's stopped after 13mins and seems a bit glitchy. I'm using a Formuler Prox Max 11 with Tivimate.

Thanks
📺
Its as reliable as a pinned condom. The Formulers do the best they can recording wise but it will still be hit and miss.

As above try find a service with decent catchup, even then youll face the odd issue.

It's not something that I've tried too much, the odd time I've done it was using tivimate and an Nvidia Shield.

You may need a multi connect too

Thanks for the feedback folks. The other issue I have with them is subtitles, which they won't always get through IPTV, depending on the channel.
I think I'll give it a miss with my parents. My sister and I got them new phones for Xmas and they are struggling a bit with the transition. My mum had a Wileyfox Swift 2 and it was comical watching her trying to setup face id on her new iPhone. She's moving the phone away from her face when trying to do this.

If I can't get the recording working for them I might just leave it. They already use me as tech support, so I'm maybe throwing petrol onto a fire trying to change something else that they have been used to using for years. Reliability is key for them I feel

Thanks
📺
It will be the coax or the aerial, not the box.
If they don't watch sports etc and are happy with freeview it would be easier and cheaper to get a new aerial and cable fitted, they have been blowing around a lot in the past few years due to all the storms we have been getting. If the aerial and cable are fine, a decent fitter will just make a small charge for new straps/lashing to secure it.
Find someone in your local newspaper

Back