do I need more speed????

paulg

Good morning to all

My thought, is as Im not an expert on these things, do I need to upgrade my broadband speed the more pc's i have running in the house.

At the moment we can have up to 4 Pc's and a games console running at once and with xmas around the corner there is going to be 2 more pc's running, so in all 7 items online at once.

Now at the moment we run on 20MB, so will there be a possibility of things slowing down? Will i need to upgrade my current speed to 50MB

Many thanks in advance

Paulg

hmm bit of a situtation your in then arent you. Well i have 2 PC's and 2 laptops connected to the WI-FI and sometimes my iPhone. So its like 5 devices and im not the 20MB connection. Works fine for me, try running it on 7 computers all one at once and surfing if you think its slow then you can upgrade if you wish.

the more you have connected the slower it is. If your on 20 with vm you can upgrade to 30 i think at no extra cost - but you will need the new supahub. if you find that 30 is not fast enough once youhave that hub you can try 50 for a month and see how you go.
I changed from 20 to 30 for xbox live to make it faster. I have 3pcs and other devices often on all at once and dont have much trouble BUt it depends on what your all doing online. I think gaming take up a lot of your speed. What speeds are you getting with the 20 ? try speedtest.net. heres my output with 3 pcs on atm

I suppose it depends what these devices are doing at the time they are all connected together, if all these devices are being used to surf the net then you may just be alright. But if your downloading content or watching videos on each of these PC's at the same time then you will see some drop in performance, an upgrade to 50MB will definitely make a difference.

On the new superhub, I get download speeds equivalent to a 40MB connection on some servers and i'm on the 30MB package

Dan is it free to upgrade from 20MB to 30MB internet for VM customers? and will i pay the same fee i pay for the 20MB as i will for the 30MB upgrade? and what is the superhub like?

J yes its free ( or it was at the time) BUT you have to pay a 1 off connection fee of £30 for the new hub but package prices is/was the same!
Its simple to set up IF they do it properly their end. Ive got mine wired to 2 pcs and rest are wireless.
You will notice a difference in speed! check on the vm website for uptodate prices & deals

Also J depends on your area and how many vm customers are on at the time. but i generally get at least 30 - not quite as lucky as Dan but then it also depends on the sites/servers your using :)

can you PM me the number or email address so i can get in touch with them. Ringing them up will cost me so rather email them. If it makes a difference and i dont have to pay other than connection fee then that is excellent.

My results below;

Is this it?

Code:
[url=http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html]Upgrade To Faster Broadband Package - Virgin Media Shop[/url]

Last edited:
can you PM me the number or email address so i can get in touch with them. Ringing them up will cost me so rather email them. If it makes a difference and i dont have to pay other than connection fee then that is excellent.

My results below;

Is this it?

Code:
[url=http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html]Upgrade To Faster Broadband Package - Virgin Media Shop[/url]
dial 150 from your vm phone and speak to someone its free dont have an email i just looked at the package online and contacted 150 if you need another number it will tell you!

If your on 20 your getting pretty poop speeds - unless your pcs were busy doing stuff when you did the test. run test when your not up/downloading etc or when nothing else is using it to get a fairer test result. I have just done another test with just my pc on and get a similar result! also remember test will change each time you do them depending on how many other servers are being used at the time

Last edited:
I've tried speedtest just now Linny, and i'm getting something near 12MBp/s. On MyBroadBandSpeed its not great either I guess it differs depending on which server you are connected too.

If I've a premium account for hosts such as filesonic/fileserve I find myself downloading at 4.1MBp/s which is equivalent too 40.00MB/s connection and I'm on a 30MBp/s connection too seems to be worth every penny spent. (y)

Dont know whats with these SuperHubs they dont want to stick to there configured limit. lol

I believe the OP has enough information now to make a decision. :)

i might just ring the virmin up when im free Dan enquire about my speed, download speed never goes above 10MB, am i paying over £20 for a 10MB connection? it looks like it to me, im not leaving these lot alone, they know not to mess with me, they have my details on file, i think i need to pop in and update that file with another complaint

J if your paying for 10 you wont get over 10 its only when you go for the higher speed that occasionally you'll get the max or even higher.
Notice the OP has not returned to let us know how they got on

Back