'Dolls Out, iPhones In For Xmas', Say Kids

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Children increasingly want the latest hi-tech gadgets for Christmas rather than traditional toys like dolls and car sets, a new survey suggests.

29.jpg

The Apple iPhone 4 is at the top of many children's wish-lists, survey says

It seems youngsters are showing more grown-up tastes in presents, compared with the gifts that were enjoyed by previous generations.

A breakdown of the most wanted toys among from five to 16-year-olds this Christmas features Apple products - the iPhone 4, iPod Touch and iPad - in the top three places.

The iPhone 4 choice as the number one product may be seen as a surprise, given its negative publicity earlier this year when it suffered well documented reception problems.

Approximately 39% children who were quizzed desired Apple gadgets this year, according to the Duracell Toy Report.

Some 17% of five to eight-year-olds, 50% of nine to 12-year-olds, and 66% of 13 to 16-year-olds all put the technology giant's items at the top of their lists.

The report also highlighted the growing similarities between boys' and girls' preferred Christmas presents, with both sexes increasingly opting for gender neutral gadgets.

30.jpg

Zhu Zhu Pet Hamsters make the top five

The study found more than three out of five parents admitted choosing Christmas presents that would keep their youngsters quiet throughout the holidays.

It also revealed today's children had on average 39 toys or gadgets to play with - more than twice as many as their parents did at the same age.

Boys had more toys and games than girls (41 against 36), with boys receiving on average an extra £8 worth of Christmas gifts than girls (£153.30 against £145.00).

:: The report quizzed a total of 2,138 children and parents in equal measure.

The top 10 toys for Christmas 2010, according to the report are:

1. iPhone 4 (14%)

2. iPod touch (13%)

3. iPad (12%)

4. Kinect for Xbox (6%)

5. Zhu Zhu Pet Hamsters/Kung Zhu Hamsters (5%)

6. Flip Video Camera (4%)

7. Toy Story 3 Jet Pack Buzz Lightyear (4%)

8. PlayStation Move (4%)

9. Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 Video Game (3%)

10. Barbie Video Girl (3%).

Just when all us poor parents are skint! Santa will have to take note of the upcoming budget too!

Yup! Some can't pay their electricity bills but all the kids will get iPhones lol

-

how very true G kids want iphones ( and most want the new iphone 4 NOT the old 3g or 3gs) - spoilt brats!!! and yup parents will buy these gadgets now matter what the cost because they have to keep up with all the other kid is school or on the street. Its dreadful that primary school kids WANT gadgets not toys, they are kids and should be playing with toys games dolls cars etc, but they grow up far to quick these days - why - coz parents give in to them!
my son ( almost 18) has a n iphone on contract - yes stupid me pays for it! but he doesnt want anything for xmas - i hear you say what??????????????

oh BUT he just wants a new larger bed, had just had a new larger room built, a car and the insurance for it AND he would like a new xbox oh and if i want to buy him summit for xmas a few dvds or xbox games will do????

I learnt the other day that money is NOT made of paper - as in traditional paper ( so no it dont grown on trees lol) but of cotton and linen - so i suppose i best cut up his new bed sheets and go buy his xmas gifts with that lol!
problem is parents give in to thier kids every whim, why?? is is because they love them or, just to shut them up, or to be better/same as others ????

Back