Download.com adds bloatware.

HiTecK

Administrator
Staff member
61.jpg

One of the world largest software download sites, Download.com, has been found to add bloatware to their downloads. The files come with a proprietary Download.com installer that tries to push you with toolbars, as well as change home pages and default search engines in addition to installing the software itself.

According to CNET they bundle the software for the good of the users which is hard to imagine. It's not only annoying for the users but violates distribution terms and conditions of some of the software. This is ingeniously bypassed with the terms of service for Download.com.

Currently not all the files are wrapped in the installer but each new version will be. You can identify a bloatware download by the filename beginning with "cnet_".

Some of the software developers have already started to protest. UltraVNC creators have added a warning to their download page encouraging people to avoid Download.com.

Noticed this recently while downloading from cnet, a seperate installer came with the package.
Will be using elsewhere from now on!

Some of the software developers have already started to protest. UltraVNC creators have added a warning to their download page encouraging people to avoid Download.com.

That is probably the worst thing, people who do not realise will blame the software developers and give them a bad name.

Never have been too crazy about downloading there, usually try other sites first. This will put an end to even the odd occurance of going there.

Glad to see an AV doing its job, tried downloading a trial of DropBox and my AV welcomed me with the following:

63.jpg

I only download free trials straight from the manufacturers website.

Dropbox is free, unless you want upgraded storage, and can be downloaded directly from their site. Or you can look for the link in Gman's signature.

By bloatware, I presume you mean the crap like toolbars etc, that most of these sites try to push:- nearly everything that I have tried to install in the last year or so has tried to install the Yahoo toolbar, or are you saying that there is something malware/virus type thing coming with them??
Cheers

By bloatware, I presume you mean the crap like toolbars etc, that most of these sites try to push:- nearly everything that I have tried to install in the last year or so has tried to install the Yahoo toolbar, or are you saying that there is something malware/virus type thing coming with them??
Cheers

i think you are on the right tracks there wheelo. I have experienced the same, you install something and then it tells you to install the toolbar in order to continue and god knows what other crap gets installed. i stopped downloading from download.com and cnet ages ago.

Dropbox is free, unless you want upgraded storage, and can be downloaded directly from their site. Or you can look for the link in Gman's signature.

Cheers ferguj. I wasn't initially looking to download DropBox. I was actually on filesonics website and realised that dropbox and filesonic can work together, so you can download files from filesonic straight to your dropbox account if you have a premium account, so maybe I was thinking, if download speeds are good with dropbox and the storage is well decent then perhaps....*cough* *cough* lol

I then went to google dropbox to find storage information for free users and then came across the cnet download, thought of this thread, and I thought i'll inspect the file, turns out the installation file did begin with "cnet_" and my AV popped up and aborted the download for me. (previous screenshot) (y)

i used to like cnet.was easy to find and download what you wanted.that having been said,i wont be back there.

Back