Freesat V8 series

Thanks reaper,

maybe its a fault with my router, i'll check again when I get home...yeh i was getting that noise when flicking through FTA channels.

Hi bro I brought this openbox v8s when I switched it on theirs only an image of Ironman and on the left theirs menu can you play help if calle please

You have posted in wrong area m8--this thread is all about the new V8 series [not the openbox]
Plus never give phone numbers on an open forum.
If you are desperate for help then start a new thread or PM me.
Reaper.

:hurray:

I used DB Editor 2.2 to make a US satellite list. It has 40 sats with one transponder each for location purposes.
I'm also in the process of scanning the entire arc (what I can see).

Here's the list and I'll post the full arc scan when it gets done scanning. :happy:

I'm having a great time and if you guys haven't gotten yourself a V8 Super yet, get ya one! You'll love it.
I'll post some details about the editor and things when I get time. I've been digging around a little bit.

Here you go, have fun! Gday

Will try it(channel list) later thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firmware is ok it's just the channel list that seems to play up so better to use channels from scan and enter them in to favourites as and when you watch them.
I have found that there are freqency mistakes in the non-adult list.
Reaper.

Can any one point me to a video / instructions on how to add my line to v8 super? tried watching a video on youtube showing how to add line manually but wouldn't connect just saying "connecting" I'm used to an old f5 skybox its easy on that. thanks in advance.

on my old box the line went in the newcamd section, manually (think its n line)

Last edited:
No problem m8--these boxes have a slight learning curve---the pdf shows installation of a cccam but all cams virtually the same---just don't forget to apply and save--common failing.
Reaper.

How to manually enter N line into V* Golden/super.

Example line--- N:grimreaper.sexy.org 12001 nerdie 666grscythe 0102030405060708091011121314

Go to mgcamd-- server setting-- server 1
server active to on
server address-------------------------grimreaper.sexy.org
port-------------------------------------12001
to port----------------------------------leave blank-------------------------------------------
id---------------------------------------nerdie
password------------------------------666grscythe
deskey---------------------------------01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14
save [press menu]
apply
exit out of menu to channels

Hope this helps.
Reaper.

Last edited:
V8 Super Network Update From FTP Server on Your LAN

I have finally figured out how to update a V8 Super from an FTP or HTTP server on your LAN. :hurray: This is not the same as the network upgrade on the S9 where you had a special program and pushed the update to the S9.

In the "Tools" menu you have "Network Upgrade".

You can select "FTP" or HTTP", simple enough.

"Auto Detect" can be set to "On" which causes the Super to check for an update at startup. "Off" is off.

"Server Type" allows you to input the server address as either a numerical IP address or a text "String".

Then you have "User" name, "Password", and "Start".

To update from your LAN you need an FTP or HTTP server program. There are many available for Windows which most people use. If you run Linux like I do, you already have a few. The XML file below needs to go in the root folder of the server and it must be named "v8_super_upg.xml" in all lower case. I'll get back to case in a minute.

Copy this and make a text file then name it "v8_super_upg.xml".

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<entry>
  <customer attribute="kokanee">
    <item>
      <mode>0</mode>
      <version>1</version>
      <url>ftp://192.168.1.140/v8_super_v347.bin</url>
      <name>V8_Super_V347</name>
    </item>
    <item>
      <mode>1</mode>
      <version>2</version>
      <url>ftp://192.168.1.140/v8_super_db09072016.bin</url>
      <name>v8_super_db09072016.bin</name>
    </item>
  </customer>
</entry>

<mode>0</mode> designates a firmware file. The <url> file name can be anything as long as they are all lower case. They must contain the entire path to the file as posted above and they must match the actual .bin file name. The .bin file can be in any folder the server has access to as long as you specify the full path in the XML file.

<mode>1</mode> designates a user database file and the same rules apply to the URL and file naming as Mode 0.

Names in the <name> tag are just text strings to explain what the file is and can be anything. I tried different names for <customer attribute="kokanee"> but anything besides "kokanee" gives an error that the file is not for this STB.

You can have several Mode 0 and several Mode 1 sections so that you can load and try different firmware files or lists. Just use an <item>, <mode>, <version>, <url>, and <name> line and then an ending </item> tag. Keep your mode 0 and mode 1 sections together and put all of them between the <customer> tags.

This works on v347 firmware. Mine said there was not a newer file until I changed the <version> to number 2 for Mode 1 (userdb). I think the version checking on mode 0 (firmware) will let you load anything. I didn't flash a bunch of FW files to test it.

Now, more about lower case. A guy named Aaron gave me a PDF with instructions for network upgrading the A5S and V8 Combo (The PDF is Attached). The PDF showed upper case too but it doesn't work, I wasted 20 minutes on that one. I fired up my Apache server and checked the log and the V8 Super was looking for a file named "v8_super_upg.xml", all lower case. As soon as I changed everything to lower case it worked. I also checked my servers and they are not running case modification scripts etc, so the Super is looking for an all lower case file name. If you don't know, some servers can be configured to convert everything to lower case, mine are not converting anything.

I tested FTP mode with ProFTPD and HTTP mode with Apache, both worked equally well and it's lightening fast on your LAN! This will probably work on other V8 STB's such as the Golden but you need to figure out the name of the file it is looking for. A server access log should tell you that information (what the V8 tried to GET). I used Apache to monitor the get command from the V8 Super. This will be very handy when you're editing your list on the computer and want to load it into your V8 Super, or to multiple Supers! How many times have you missed something and it's another 15 minutes of the USB stick swapping game? This will eliminate that.

:amen:

Just save the file as my_v8super_db.bin in the server root folder and you won't even have to edit the XML file. Then do a network upgrade and there you go, your new list. How about those manually entered PID channels that don't work? It'll be a breeze to make a change and load it up and try it again! Have fun!

A WORD OF WARNING: Your userdb file contains your router username and password and the username and password to any router you've connected to with your Super! Be careful who you give complete copies to unless you use throwaway passwords or guest accounts on your router.
Edit: You can go into Networking and delete the stored usernames and passwords too.

P.S. This will work if you make your server accessible from the internet and your friends can upgrade to your list too! You can also password protect it so that you can leave it up all the time if you're working together on a list or something.

Working Together!
:slap:

Attachments

• ftp-how-to_pdf.zip
    37.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Typical Yanks---what started life as a nice new simple sat box, has now become a living nightmare LOL
Cheers Yankee---nice input.
Reaper.

Typical Yanks---what started life as a nice new simple sat box, has now become a living nightmare LOL
Cheers Yankee---nice input.
Reaper.

Yeah Reaper, thank you, it's really very easy. For someone familiar with FTP servers all you need is an FTP server and edit the XML file to point to the correct files and IP address. That's it!

The description is so long so the new guys who don't know all of this stuff will be able to do it. A guy on our US forum said he was too lazy to do it and I told him this is for lazy people, you can update without getting out of your chair! ;) He's going to keep carrying the USB stick over there I guess.

Aaron helped me with the XML file format but I had no clue what it was supposed to be named so the Super would find it. Apache server spit that out for me in the access log, from there it was easy. It will work with a Golden and the others that have Network Upgrade in the menu but you have to find out the XML file name from someone who knows or an access log. The PDF shows info for a V8 Combo and V8 Pro but my Super couldn't find the files until I put the names in all lower case, and my servers are not converting case (the PDF shows mixed upper and lower case file names ).

Over here when we scan we have a lot of crap we can't get so those have to be deleted and some of the channel names are screwy so it's better to rename them so you know what they are. Now I can work on the list and load it up without walking over there and keep working on it over time until I have a comprehensive list where the names match the channels we actually get. It'll be great when I'm feed hunting because I scan in the crap again. The only thing is I have to dump the list to USB so I can get it into the computer. It'd be nice to be able to download from it and I'm betting it's possible, but maybe not.

Hey, did you know hitting MUTE 888 brings up the current network settings in a Super (IP address, DHCP setting etc)?

I accidentally hit MUTE 999 and it said "start recording data, please wait...finished recording data, thanks". Do you have any clue what it's recording? I think it's recording trouble shooting info or settings to dump somehow, but I don't know how to view or dump it.

Ok, I'm off to see if that souped up DBEditor has been released yet, can't wait. I'll take all of the features I can get, anything that makes my life easier. ;)

Have a nice day (or sleep maybe).

@reaper seen some latest tanberg keys for epl mux feed on 10e would it be possible for you to confirm if they work or not on the v8 golden?

Tuned the frequency in and they showing testcard at the moment. Maybe it's fta?

Back