French Revolution As Squad Refuses To Train

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
France's chaotic World Cup campaign has taken another bizarre twist, with players refusing to train and the team's fitness coach storming out of the session.

346.jpg

Evra walks away from a row with Robert Duverne

Adding to woes, the managing director of the French Football Federation (FFF) has resigned in anger at the insubordination.

Jean-Louis Valentin told reporters: "I am disgusted, I am quitting my post.

"I am ashamed, I am leaving immediately for Paris."

His action quickly followed a blazing row between captain Patrice Evra and fitness coach Robert Duverne prior to a scheduled training session.

A few minutes after taking the pitch, Duverne stormed off the pitch away from the argument with Evra, throwing his accreditation badge to the ground.

The French squad later released a statement, saying they had walked out in protest over the treatment of teammate Nicolas Anelka.

"All players without exception want to declare their opposition to the FFF's decision to exclude Nicolas Anelka," the statement read.

The striker was sent home on Saturday following a bust up with coach Raymond Domenech at half-time during their defeat to Mexico.

His Chelsea teammate, John Terry, also spoke out in defence of Anelka at the England press conference.

"Nico is a really good guy and he is a great player as well," Terry said.

"Before he came to Chelsea, there was a lot of negative stuff written about him. But you won't find a better man in football.

"He is someone who is very quiet and been in the game a long time and knows his football. If he had something to say to me, I would stand up and listen."

Today, the remaining French squad left the training ground and boarded the team bus, where they had a meeting with Domenech behind closed curtains.

Domenech emerged later to read the statement on behalf of the players.

The former World Cup winners are facing elimination from the World Cup at the group stage.

They must beat South Africa by a large margin on Tuesday and hope that Mexico and Uruguay do not draw if they are to have any hope of progressing to the knockout phase.

Back