Gary Speed RIP

hill16

TK's Big Daddy
aWNS_Wales_Training25031107.jpg

Wales manager Gary Speed has died, the Football Association of Wales have said.

Speed's family authorised the release of the information by the Welsh FA.

A statement said: "The Football Association of Wales are sad to announce the death of the national team manager Gary Speed.

"We extend our sympathies and condolences to the family. We ask that everyone respects the family's privacy at this very sad time."

Police have confirmed that his death appeared to have been caused by suicide.

A spokeswoman for Cheshire Police said: "At 7.08am today, Cheshire Police was informed of a sudden death at an address in Huntington, Chester.

"Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead. The next of kin have been informed and have confirmed the identity of the man as Gary Speed.

"There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death. The family have requested that they are left in peace to grieve at this difficult time. A family tribute will be released at a later date but not today."

Speed had been in charge of the Welsh national team since December 2010, and had recently presided over a run of four wins in five internationals to climb to 50th in the world rankings.

Speed had previously served the Welsh national team with distinction as a player, winning 85 caps in a 14-year international career.

His greatest moment at club level came in 1992 when he won the championship with Leeds, while he was twice an FA Cup runner-up with Newcastle.

Speed also represented Everton, Bolton and Sheffield United in a 22-year professional career which saw him make nearly 700 league appearances.

He also held the record of most Premier League appearances with 535 until 2009 when veteran goalkeeper David James overtook him.

He retired from playing in 2010 before embarking on his first managerial role with Sheffield United.

Speed, who was awarded the MBE in the 2010 Birthday Honours for his services to football, leaves a wife and two children.

Mark Bowen, a Wales team-mate of Speed for several years and later a coach with the national side, hailed his friend as a player, a coach and a person.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I'm totally stunned and devastated, you feel completely numb. It goes without saying that the plaudits for the man himself will come thick and fast.

"I played with him and I knew him as a colleague for many years. He was captain of Wales when the likes of Mark Hughes and Ian Rush were still playing and I think that tells you a lot about the man he was.

"I can't put into words what a fantastic guy he was. In that short space of time (with Wales) he showed the talent he had for working with the players.

"He had such a bright, fantastic future to look forward to in football but that is secondary...it's about his family and his boys."

It certainly is, I would not have thought he was the type to do something like that, not that i knew that much about him. One thing I do know is he was a fantastic player and I would say a good professional. I will catch up with the news a bit more when I finish work.

Such a waste, he was a great player in his days and a decent bloke, must have had issues behind closed doors for him do something like this.

RIP fella!.

dont we all have issues at some time,its a shame about this tragedy what a waste of life,if only a phone call for help could have been made . R. I. P. a sad loss for football.

Had the honour of watching Gary Speed boss the midfield for 4 years at Bolton Wanderes. Class player !! Such a waste. R.I.P

Such a waste, I pity his poor family, all the wondering about the "What if's", the "Could I have done", etc. Suicide is probably one of the most tortuous ways to go - it leaves so much wondering for the people left behind.

If you need help of any type, don't be afraid to ring the samaratins

Phone Calls

In the UK dial 08457 90 90 90.
In the Republic of Ireland dial 1850 60 90 90.

r.i.p. gary speed , such a sads loss to the world of football , great talent and on his way to becomin a top manager , thoughts go out to all his family and friends

Bryn Law breaks down on Sky Sports News :(

[video=youtube;HVQoUpo9rX0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVQoUpo9rX0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Back