Glasgow Celtic Supporters Thread

“When you score it is always a special moment but to do it at Rangers - it is well known that I follow Celtic - after a hard couple of months was just a great feeling.”
- Wayne Rooney

Rooney Celtic.jpg

Good man Wayne, Hail Hail :)

Last edited:
Celtic fans today ignored a police warning about possible arrests and staged a protest march through Glasgow.

fac2.jpgfac.jpgfac1.jpg

Around 2500 football fans who claimed they are being criminalised by "disproportionate" measures to crack down on hate crime converged on Glasgow's George Square in a lunchtime protest rally.

The event was organised on the back of the incident which saw Celtic’s self-styled "ultras" the Green Brigade clash with police last month.

Then, some felt police went over the top, with officers "kettling" fans outside a Gallowgate pub and police deploying mounted officers and the force helicopter before making 13 arrests.

Fans Against Criminalisation (FAC) organised today's George Square rally, but Glasgow City Council declined to grant permission for a parade as FAC had not complied with the required 28 days' notice to hold a street procession.

Before the event, Chief Superintendent Andy Bates, divisional commander of Greater Glasgow division of Police Scotland, had said: "Any procession along the road from George Square would be illegal and anyone involved could find themselves subject to prosecution."

However, police instead opted for a softly-softly approach, with only around 20 officers visible in George Square, and no apparent attempt to intervene when three-quarters of those at the rally spilled on to streets leading towards Parkhead for the home game against Hibs.

George Square and nearby Cochrane Street were brought to a standstill as protesters chanting: "All Celtic fans against the bill" staged an impromptu march on pavements and roads, bringing traffic chaos.

The march continued across Ingram Street, Wilson Street, Bell Street, and High Street. Only at Gallowgate did police intervene more actively, sending in extra officers, some on horseback, to funnel the fans on to one side of the carriageway.

Earlier, George Square had been packed with fans carrying placards, many saying: "Football fans not criminals." One banner directed at police said: "Stop hiding your badges and lay down your batons."

One speaker at the rally, Labour MSP Michael McMahon, said: "Being a football fan cannot be of itself be a crime."

Glasgow University academic and Celtic Trust member Jeanette Findlay added: "What kind of country takes a law-abiding group of people and turns them into criminals. This affects all citizens, not just football fans."

Eddie Toner of FAC said: "It's fantastic so many have come, from the youngest to the oldest."

FAC describes itself as "an independent umbrella group comprising the Green Brigade, Celtic Trust, Celtic Supporters Association, Affiliation of Registered Celtic Supporters Clubs and Association of Irish Celtic Supporters Clubs.

It claims new football laws which give police new powers to tackle abuse at and around matches has led to "heavy-handed" policing and has created problems for ordinary supporters.

The Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Act gives police and prosecutors new powers to tackle sectarian songs and abuse at and around football matches, as well as threats posted on the internet or through the mail.

The Act created two distinct offences, punishable through a range of penalties up to a maximum five years in prison and an unlimited fine.

GB.jpg

Bayern Munich fans in solidarity with the Green Brigade.

GB Derry city.jpg

Derry City fans.

GB1 babelsberg.jpg

babelsberg.jpg

SV Babelsberg fans

GB st pats.jpg

St Patricks Athletic fans

Last edited:
Regulars in the Foggy Dew as they just heard the news.

[video=youtube;kcJTBl_T8JU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kcJTBl_T8JU[/video]

lenny - alex.jpg

Celtic pay tribute to departing Manchester United icon

By: Joe Sullivan on 08 May, 2013 11:34

THE big news of the day is the announcement that Sir Alex Ferguson is stepping down as manager of Manchester United after 26 years of success at Old Trafford.

The 71-year-old retires at the end of this season after lifting the Premier League title – his 38th trophy in a haul that includes 13 league titles, two Champions League crowns, five FA Cups and four League Cups.

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “The contribution Sir Alex Ferguson has made to football is so huge that his decision to retire will clearly leave a real gap in the game.

“He is someone who has defined Manchester United for decades and a man who has made winning his trademark.

“Clearly, we all wish him the very best during his retirement, but I am sure his work ethic and his love for Manchester United FC will mean he will continue to make a great contribution to a club which he has been part of for so long.”

Neil Lennon said: “It is a real shock that Sir Alex has left the game he loves and undoubtedly football will really miss him, however, I would like to wish him all the very best on his very well-deserved retirement.

“It is a privilege to know Sir Alex and I would like to thank him for all the assistance he has given me as a manager. There is no better source of help and advice than Sir Alex Ferguson.

“He has decades of experience as a manager but most importantly he knows how to win. He has given Manchester United fans a glorious period of success, bringing trophy after trophy to Old Trafford and making his club one of the biggest footballing institutions in the world.”

He added: “The resilience and commitment he has shown during this period as manager cannot be underestimated. While there were difficult times, his strength of character, passion and single mindedness meant he achieved such great things.

“It is this drive and commitment which has resulted in the legacy he now leaves for others to follow.”

“I would like to offer Sir Alex my sincere best wishes for the future and wish him well in everything he does.”

celticfc.net

[h=2]Daniel Day Lewis may play Brother Walfrid in Celtic movie[/h]
The combination of the world’s greatest actor and Celtic in a movie has to be box office gold, right?

ddl.jpg

walfrid.jpg

The history of soccer movies isn’t great. When Saturday Comes is far from good, Bend It Like Beckham is poor enough and Escape To Victory is so bad it’s good but that’s damning with faint praise.

But we’re genuinely looking forward to this movie, if it happens. According to the Scottish S*n the director of The Magdalene Sisters and Neds, Peter Mullan, is plotting to make a film about the history of Celtic.

And the paper reports that three-time Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis will be asked to play the founder Brother Walfrid, the man who set up the club in 1887 to help the poor of east Glasgow .

The report says that the script is written and talks are under way with the Glasgow giants.

The film would cover most of the history of the club and a Celtic spokesperson is quoted as saying: “We are aware of the project and are right behind it. It’s a huge project and we are involved in discussions.”

It sounds great so we hope it makes it to the big screen.

[h=2]Daniel Day Lewis may play Brother Walfrid in Celtic movie[/h]
The combination of the world’s greatest actor and Celtic in a movie has to be box office gold, right?

View attachment 9448

View attachment 9449

The history of soccer movies isn’t great. When Saturday Comes is far from good, Bend It Like Beckham is poor enough and Escape To Victory is so bad it’s good but that’s damning with faint praise.

But we’re genuinely looking forward to this movie, if it happens. According to the Scottish S*n the director of The Magdalene Sisters and Neds, Peter Mullan, is plotting to make a film about the history of Celtic.

And the paper reports that three-time Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis will be asked to play the founder Brother Walfrid, the man who set up the club in 1887 to help the poor of east Glasgow .

The report says that the script is written and talks are under way with the Glasgow giants.

The film would cover most of the history of the club and a Celtic spokesperson is quoted as saying: “We are aware of the project and are right behind it. It’s a huge project and we are involved in discussions.”

It sounds great so we hope it makes it to the big screen.

I wonder if the film will tell of how Celtic stole everything from Hibs in the beginning ,

I'm sure youz would have had our name as well if you could've ;)

I wonder if the film will tell of how Celtic stole everything from Hibs in the beginning ,

I'm sure youz would have had our name as well if you could've

Oh no - Trouble in the house, run for cover:leaving1: :leaving:

I'm sure youz would have had our name as well if you could've

Oh no - Trouble in the house, run for cover:leaving1: :leaving:

Lol ,

Just putting it out there eh . :)

Top tip for Sunday , if you like a bet

Celtic -3 at 6-1 , it's a cover bet for me ;)

I'm a Man City fan, and I don't understand betting odds at all, especially spread betting. I'm just here for the beer lol :lep:

Back