1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye sly movies

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by dillyp70, Jun 15, 2016.

1. dillyp70

dillyp70 PETER DILWORTH

{Roofer
    merseyside
  2. londonfox

londonfox TK Veteran Forum Supporter

i read the important part (Sky Cinema will keep Sky Movies 11 linear movie channels) so should be ok

3. dillyp70

dillyp70 PETER DILWORTH

{Roofer
    merseyside
    I just like to keep people wondering is july 8th the end......

4. alcable

alcable TK Veteran

two films james bond and mission impossible to launch channels had them ages ago lol

5. dillyp70

dillyp70 PETER DILWORTH

{Roofer
    merseyside
    Then it will be james bond and mission impossible repeated for the rest of the year.

6. benijofar

benijofar Super Moderator Staff Member Forum Supporter

Male
    {Lazing Around
    Costa Blanca ...Spain
    Londonfox.....if you carry on reading then you get to

"Set to roll out to customers from July 8, Sky Cinema will also offer HD movies as standard – bye bye, ageing standard definition. "

Wonder if this will cause us a problem but cannot find anything else on the subject at present.
    :fear:

7. londonfox

yes benijofar i see that bit but not every one who has sky has hd boxs so sd will still be there ??? thats just what i hope lol

8. benijofar

Male
    {Lazing Around
    Costa Blanca ...Spain
    That's what we have been banking on for ages as the reason why they won't switch over to full HD.
    However !!!....What if their customer info shows that hardly any remaining SD box subscribers have SLY movies ?
    They can switch it and hardly upset anybody.
    We live forever in hope and expectancy !!...lol

9. londonfox

now that would not be fair on them poor oap who still have Amstrad boxs lol

10. dillyp70

dillyp70 PETER DILWORTH

{Roofer
    merseyside
    Boom my work is done lol
    Am not two botherd as i hardly use my sly tunner its a backup i use cable for the hd anyway although it can all end anyday just sit back and enjoy

---------- Post Merged at 10:03 PM ----------

Hd as standard and the release of the new uhd channels later this year its not looking good.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  11. No1gooner

No1gooner TK Veteran

From what I can gather the service is just being rebranded, if they was switching of sd then it would say so somewhere along the lines of 'to continue watching movies on sky you will only be able to do so on an hd box' I haven't read that anywhere and I've read a few articles in the last half hour! I'm pretty sure sky would of given a lot more notice if an hd box was needed to continue watching considering it's less then a month till it happens.
    There will still be 11 movie channels like we have now and the 'hd as standard' quote is basically saying if you subscribe to sky cinema you won't have to pay the hd sub no more.
    I'm obviously just surmising here but that's how I've read in to it.

12. benijofar

Male
    {Lazing Around
    Costa Blanca ...Spain
    No1gooner.....you should go into politics because that argument sounds so plausible !...lol

Let's hope that is the case as we will worry for nothing for the next 3 weeks.

13. wooshman

wooshman VIP Member Forum Supporter

{Bodge Builder
    UK
    I didn't notice you were pregnant Beni, you hid it really well, it does explain the requests for coal and gherkins when you were here though!

Congratulations - I hope it's a boy!

14. Blackwidow

Blackwidow TK Veteran

{Forum Idiot
    Gods Country
    And and wonder how many millions of pounds spent on research and focus groups was spent regarding changing the title from Sky Movies to Sky Cinema?? Seems a complete waste of time and money to me.

15. waldo176

waldo176 Forum Supporter

I'm sure if they were taking away standard for good then there would be notice out to customers to upgrade they wouldn't just switch a button and that's it, I'm sure they mean HD comes at no extra cost.

16. gmangt4

gmangt4 TK Veteran

HD on the movies is already free, its the sports they charge you for now.....seems like marketing hype to me.

Kennwood likes this.
  17. Lawley

Lawley TK Veteran

Sure this was covered in another post i read yesterday

Straight from the SKY Cinema FAQ

What equipment do I need?
    To watch in SD, you’ll need a Sky box. To watch movies in HD, you’ll need a compatible black Sky+HD box and an HD-ready TV. You’ll also need a broadband connection to download movies on demand.

So SD is staying you lot on here like causing wide spread panic ROFL

18. wooshman

{Bodge Builder
    UK
    What do you mean? My mate's mate is a sky engineer............... you know how the rest goes... lmao.

Well found Lawley and good news for all of us. I like you as you are the bringer of good news.

19. gibbletts

gibbletts TK Veteran

It's a progression towards the switch off, sports will be next so then all that will be left on sd are the ones that don't make them any money they also need to free up bandwidth for their 4 k channel, thankfully cable is fine.

20. wooshman

{Bodge Builder
    UK
    As we always say... we know it will happen. we don't know when, so we just enjoy it while we have it.

It is that simple.