HDMI CEC control with HDMI splitter

chenks

TK Veteran
so i've got a bit of a conundrum here.

in my living room i have a Sony TV and a Zgemma set top box.
HDMI CEC is enabled and i can control the Zgemma box using the Sony TV remote - all works fine.

i have a TV in another room and the plan was to use an HDMI splitter along with HDMI over ethernet to allow that TV to also view the Zgemma box (and use the original Zgemma remote to control the box from that room).

in theory this is all OK and works, apart from when i connect up the HDMI splitter i lose HDMI CEC control meaning that i can no longer use the Sony remote to control the Zgemma box.

so, is there any way to do this without losing HDMI CEC control?

so i've got a bit of a conundrum here.

in my living room i have a Sony TV and a Zgemma set top box.
HDMI CEC is enabled and i can control the Zgemma box using the Sony TV remote - all works fine.

i have a TV in another room and the plan was to use an HDMI splitter along with HDMI over ethernet to allow that TV to also view the Zgemma box (and use the original Zgemma remote to control the box from that room).

in theory this is all OK and works, apart from when i connect up the HDMI splitter i lose HDMI CEC control meaning that i can no longer use the Sony remote to control the Zgemma box.

so, is there any way to do this without losing HDMI CEC control?
No idea,
But you could try an active splitter instead of a passive one , or vice versa depending on what one you have now,
But, I don't think you will be able to view both at the same time using an active splitter.

the intention is not to view both at the same time.
but there shouldn't be any manual user interaction involved other than turning the TV on.

I've just thought of something
Some splitters only work in one direction,
Generally the cheaper passive ones, its to allow older TVs with only one HDMI port to have more than one device connected, obviously you need the opposite if that, and one that works bi-directional.
Might take a bit of searching.

i suppose another option would be to just stream the channels over the network to the other TV.
i know older versions of OAT had openwebif that had that, not sure if it stil does.

ages ago i could watch the live channels using dreamplayer on my phone.

i suppose another option would be to just stream the channels over the network to the other TV.
i know older versions of OAT had openwebif that had that, not sure if it stil does.

ages ago i could watch the live channels using dreamplayer on my phone.
Yes, that us the easiest method, that's what I do for my second box, not in HD tho, but its still a lot better than what IPTV class as HD.
Simply set your second box up with fallback,
I can even use my other box to watch cable which it doesn't have,

You don't need openwebif for fallback.

that might be the solution then.
i just tested it with dreamplayer app on my phone and it streams the channels ok.

so now the question is what client on the TV.
it's an LG TV with WebOS.
i also have a roku stick as well.

Nuay try inputting the IP address of the box,
I can do that on my laptop or phone.

Or, buy a cheap zgemma sat box off an auction site, zgemma sat boxes are cheap now as people that have them ( mostly ) don't know how to get the mist out of them.

i'm talking about a TV.
I said laptop or phone,
Your TV is LG, about as crap an unsmart TV as you can get, I had one, nothing but trouble, bought a different TV as soon as the warranty ran out, had it "repaired" four times in a year.

you may have said laptop or phone, but i've always said TV and that's what this is all about.
the LG tv IS a smart tv (whether you think so or not). it connects quite happily to my plex server and has all the catch up apps, and the LG app store.
you clearly bought aduff TV, but that doesn't mean ALL tvs are duff.

so back to the whole point of this, is that i want to view the channels from this box another TV, not a phone or a laptop.

you may have said laptop or phone, but i've always said TV and that's what this is all about.
the LG tv IS a smart tv (whether you think so or not). it connects quite happily to my plex server and has all the catch up apps, and the LG app store.
you clearly bought aduff TV, but that doesn't mean ALL tvs are duff.

so back to the whole point of this, is that i want to view the channels from this box another TV, not a phone or a laptop.
Easy,
Download VLC and job done, see his smart your TV is now,
My Toshiba will work with VLC fine.
Most smart TVs aren't that smart at all.
I've told you how to do it with a smart TV, if you have got a smart TV that's not really that smart, who's fault us that.?

Back