Help - Align a motorised dish

Thanks for all the info.

Is 1w and true south the same??

My latitude is 52deg, the motor is 38deg and my dish is 27.5deg??

no, 1w is 1w
so it cant be true south
you need to refer to your motor manual for the exact settings for your latitude
you do realise the dish settings will be negative values, ie: it will point down, until you mount it on your motor
my settings are, dish 27.4 , motor 36.5 thats at 53.5 lat
so fairly close to you, what size dish do you have.?

no, 1w is 1w
so it cant be true south
you need to refer to your motor manual for the exact settings for your latitude
you do realise the dish settings will be negative values, ie: it will point down, until you mount it on your motor
my settings are, dish 27.4 , motor 36.5 thats at 53.5 lat
so fairly close to you, what size dish do you have.?

Big thanks

Its was a silly questions. True south is 180deg. Getting confused with true and magnetic south.

1 metre dish. My dish is pointing high when mounted on the motor compare to my sky dish??

Also on a side note: my zgemma box wont move dish until I unplug my USB hdd. Im guessing thats a power issue. Openbox is ok.

Zgemma are not great for driving motors.
The hdd is draining the power At true
South your elevation will be roughly 32°

The manual says 27.5??
the angle on your dish will go up when you mount it on the motor,
what angle is your motor set at.?

EDIT
the angle on your dish is NEGATIVE
it is -27.5
so if you had your dish on a vertical pole it would be pointing down

The manual says 27.5??
Guide to Motorised satellite dish installation | Satellite and Cable LtdSatellite TVCable TVTerrestrial TVSATandCABLE ForumAll ProductsFAQContact Us

Search:

Tel: 0845 301 7400

Login Register View Basket

SATELLITE TVDATA STORAGEDIGITAL TVELECTRONICSGAMINGHOME AND LEISURENETWORKING

Home > Forums > SATandCABLE > SATELLITE TV > Satellite Dish Set-up /Alignment > Guide to Motorised satellite dish installation

Categories

Aerials and DishesTablet PC'sCablingCAMsData StorageSolar PanelsFull Satellite SystemsHydroponicsHD ReceiversIn-carInstall + FixturesLNBs + SwitchesMeters and ToolsMotors and PositionersMobile/Cell PhonesNetworkingOfficial CardsParts/BitsProgrammersReceiversRemote ControlsSky Digital ProductsSpecial Offers

Manufacturers

Please Choose... AddonAzboxBelkinBladeBlakeChorusDBoxDigivoxDreamboxEagleBoxEchoplusEononEurovoxFlytouchGGGHitachiHomebaseHumaxInvertoIrdeto iRobotISSKingstonKryptviewLogiLinkManhattanMicrosoftNintendoOpenboxPhilexPQISagemSamsungSandiskSeagateSenuaSkySLXSnitStarviewSuperjackTechnomateTelecamTelevesTP-LinkTraxdataTriaxTringsatVIASATVu+ DuoVuvuzelaZenithink

Select a manufacturer from above or click a logo for below to go to a manufacturers products

Guide to Motorised satellite dish installation

No replies

Sat, 22/05/2010 - 15:56

SatandCable Admin

HOW TO SET UP A MOTORISED DISH
-----------------------------------------

Equipment needed.
-----------------
Suitable mounting pole (2" aluminium or steel scaffold pole)
TK brackets or and L-Bar for mounting a dish to a wall
U-Bolts
Spirit Level
Drill, F-Connectors, spanners, hammer
Compass & Satellite signal meter

POSTIONING YOUR DISH
-------------------
Please bear in mind that the dish needs to be far enough away from the wall and any other obsatcles so that the dish rotates freely. We normally mount the pole using TK brackets or an L-Bar which extend out from the wall by 18 inches.

You need to be able to rotate the dish between at least 30 degrees east and 30 degrees west of due south, without obstructions such as trees in the way. The furthest point you normally go to the east is the same direction as a sky minidish (28.2 east), you need to be able to rotate the dish by 60 degrees to the west from this point. Standing behind the dish, the west is to the right of a minidish.

If you can get a clean arc as far as 45 degrees east and 45 degrees west then there are a few mor e interesting satellites you can recieve.

A good rule of thumb regarding obstructions - if the distance to the obstruction is twice the height of the obstruction you will have no problems. For instance if there is a fence that is 4 feet higher than the base of the dish, and the fence is 8 feet away then that will be OK.

SETTING UP THE MOUNT
--------------------
The first step to setting up a motorised satellite dish is the most important one! The mounting pole that the dish and motor will be fixed to must be exactly vertical!! This point can not be over stressed. If the dish is mounted on an aluminium tube which is one metre long, and the pole is out of true by as little as one centimetre top to bottom, that is enough to stop the dish tracking properly.

So step one - Get the mounting pole 100% plumb. Use a spirit level to check this side-to-side and front-to-back.

SETTING UP THE MOTOR AND DISH
-----------------------------

Firstly you need to know your areas latitude and the elevation angle of the dish for the Thor satellite on 1 degree west. This can be done by checking the website below

http://www.dishpointer.com/

You need to correctly set the elevation on your dish motor. Most motors are marked with a graduated scale called "Latitude" However some are marked "Elevation"

If your motor is marked Latitude, then you set the scale to equal the latitude of you location. For example Liverpool is 53.5 degrees North - so set the Latitude on the motor to 53.

If the motor scale is marked "Elevation" then the correct formula to use is Elevation = 90 minus Latitude. For Liverpool 90 - 53 = 37.

Having done that, fasten up the bolts on the side of the motor as tight as possible (without breaking them of course!)

Now you attach the dish to the motor. The motor shaft has a center line marked on it, and you centre the dish mounting bracket on this line. If you can not see the centre line with the dish attached, take a length of insulating tape or similar, and use it to extent the centering line so you can see it. Tighten the dish down so it can not move side-to-side.

Now attach the dish and motor assembly to the mounting pole, and tighten down the motor bracket, leave it a little slack so you can trotate the entire motor/dish assembly in the pole.

INITIAL ALIGNMENT OF THE DISH
-----------------
The first thing you need to do is allign the dish to the satellite nearest to due south. This satellite in the UK is Thor/Intelsat707 at 1 degree West. Using ProgDVB, load up the channels list for Thor. Open the channels list and click on the channel "Business TV". This is a FTA channel that always carries a test screen with a picture of s clock or compass and the marking 1 West.

Using the dixie plug in, drive the motor to position 0.0 (fixed) the drive the Motor to Thor 1 West

Now rotate the entire motor/dish assembly to locate this satellite. This is easiest if you use a signal strength meter, or at the very least get your PC outdoors (dry weather only!) and in a position where you can see it! ProgDVB has a signal strength read out on the bottom bar of the TV picture window.

When you locate this satellite, adjust the elevation on the dish (NOT THE MOTOR!!) to get the strongest signal. For your guidance, Thor is elevated a few degrees higher than Astra. Once you have the strongest signal, lock the dish elevation so it can not move.

Now load the channel list for Astra, and using dixie plugin, drive the motor to Astra. Astra is a powerful satellite and you should have no problems finding a picture.

Go back to your dish, and using the spirit level double check that the mounting pole is still vertical and has not moved under the weight of the dish, otherwise this problem needs to be corrected before continuing.

Now load the channel list for Hispasat, and using dixie drive the motor to Hispasat. Hispasat is a considerably weaker than Astra. You Should choose one of the Strong channels to test - The FTA channel called "Programaceo" is a good one to use, or also Disney channel. Also we have noticed that motors tend to "overshoot" a little when moving to Hispasat, you may need to tap the EAST button a couple of times to manually drive the dish slightly back to get a good signal. If you can't seem to find a signal on Hispsat at the moment then don't worry about that just now (time for worry comes later hehehe!!)

Now go and check again that the mounting pole has remained vertical and not moved under the weight of the dish, otherwise this problem needs to be corrected before continuing.

Now drive the dish back to 1 West (Thor)

TRACKING THE DISH
-----------------
*START*
First check that you have the strongest possible signal on Thor (Business TV). Do this by grabing hold of the top and bottom of the dish and gently flexing this dish upward and downward. You should get a worsening signal as you move the dish up - down - left - or right. If this is not he case then loosen the motor brackts and reallign the motor position left right. loosen the dish elevation nuts and alter the dish up and down until you have the best possible signal. when flexing the dish you are not trying to get the strongest signal, just flex it enough to check if the signal gets better or worse in each direction.

Now drive the dish to Sirius 5 East. Load up the channels list for Sirius and choose "NOVY Canal" You should get a strong signal from this channel - around 90%. Then choose one of the weak transponders on Sirius (Viasat Ticket) These channels are very weak in the UK - even in clear weather conditions on a 1 metre dish you will not get more than about 55% signal on a perfectly aligned dish.

While on Viasat Ticket, flex the dish up and down slightly to see which gives the best signal strength. Make a note of which direction improves the signal UP or DOWN. You can also try manually driving the dish slightly further east or weat with the EAST WEST buttons.

Now go back to Hispasat. Choose "Programaceo" Channel. If you are getting little or no signal flex the dish slightly up or down to see which direction gives better signal. Remember that the dish tends to move slightly too far west on Hispasat so you may need to manually drive it slightly back to the east. Again make a note of which gives better signal UP or DOWN.

If you have a good signal on Hispasat "Programaceo" of say 75% or more - try one of the weaker channels such as "P-Cinema". These channels are again much weaker than others on Hispasat - a well aligned dish gives you around 65-70% signal. Once again flex the dish up and down to wee which direction gives best signal.

If you can't find Hispasat AT ALL then move your dish to 8 or 15 degrees west and repeat the above process to see which is better reception UP or DOWN and make a note.

Now drive the dish back again to Thor 1W "Business TV" and check that it is still perfectly aligned and all this "flexing" has not changed the dish elevation. Reallign if necessary.

Now one of 5 possible situations will have occured. These will be dealt with below. And if you need to adjust the alignment of you dish then remember the next line!

IMPORTANT - ONLY EVER ADJUST THE DISH/MOTOR WHILE YOU ARE ON THOR 1 WEST

Situation 1. Dish gives better signal when flexed upwards on both Sirius Ticket and Hispasat P Cinema - in this case you need to DECREASE the elevation of the motor and INCREASE the elevation of the dish to compensate. Reallign for strongest signal on Business TV then go to *START*

Situation 2. Dish gives better signal when flexed downwards on both Sirius Ticket and Hispasat P Cinema - in this case you need to INCREASE the elevation of the motor and DECREASE the elevation of the dish to compensate. Reallign for strongest signal on Business TV then go to *START*

Note Situations 1 and 2 should never arise if you correctly set the motor elevation to your latitude (eg Liverpool - 53 degrees)!!

Situation 3. (The most common one!!) Dish gives better signal when flexed DOWNWARDS on Sirius Ticket and UPWARDS on Hispasat P Cinema - in this case you need to loosen and rotate the MOTOR a few degrees to the West (Towards HISPASAT) and then tighten up the motor, loosen the dish and rotate the dish back towards the East to compensate. Reallign for strongest signal on Business TV then go to *START*

Situation 4. Dish gives better signal when flexed UPWARDS on Sirius Ticket and DOWNWARDS on Hispasat P Cinema - in this case you need to loosen and rotate the MOTOR a few degrees to the east (Towards SIRIUS) and then tighten up the motor, loosen the dish and rotate the dish back towards the West to compensate. Reallign for strongest signal on Business TV then go to *START*

5. Well Done! You get perfect alignment on all three points!! No further adjustment required

by using two very weak signals on Hispsat and Sirius you can get a perfect alignment of your dish - all other satellites are more powerful and you wil have no problem with these.

Sky Dish Installation / Freesat Dish Installation ›

n/a

SATandCABLE Forums

SATandCABLE (6)World Satellite News (6)

All ProductsContact UsFAQInstallationPrivacySATandCABLE ForumsShipping and returnsTerms and ConditionsAbout Us

Latest from the forums

Freesat Adverts create a surge in demand for Diamanté Satellite DishesViasat in the UKEuropean Court state that owning a Satellite Dish "is a Human Right"Google to launch TV in the UK

more

Senua 200 X 200 X 200 Grow Tent Bud Room Hydroponics

£149.99

Blade BM8000 Combo HD High Definition Satellite Receiver

£1,119.99

MAG 254 Latest Original Linux IPTV/OTT Box - New Faster Processor than MAG 250

£84.99

Blade Media BM5000 Replacement Remote Control BM5000s

£13.99

DS Card Cable ControlDSi bulk buy dvb dishEurovox bulk SkyDreambox PVR HDsuper Card USB RemoteReceiver Replacementbox StarviewSatellite TheBoxTechnomate

more tags

Copyright [emoji767] 2012 Satellite & Cable LTD. All rights reserved.
Designed and Developed by Tramp Creative
Satellite & Cable Ltd is registered in the United Kingdom; VAT number 979919040

TwitterFacebookGoogle+

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Update. After moving the dish angle a lot downwards ive now got 0.8w thor 65% YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive tunned it to max signel.

I am using the usals setting on my zgemma box. I can get 9e, 16e, 19.2e. Can only get 28.2e at about 30% on bbc news.

Update. After moving the dish angle a lot downwards ive now got 0.8w thor 65% YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive tunned it to max signel.

I am using the usals setting on my zgemma box. I can get 9e, 16e, 19.2e. Can only get 28.2e at about 30% on bbc news.
maybe you need to fine tune your elevation then,?
or, your alignment could be out slightly, is your signal getting progressively worse the further round you go.?

Yes signal gets worse the further I go east.
then thats more than likely you 'sideways' alignment
try tuning for a better signal on 28, then go back to thor and see how it is, try and balance them out
is your dish deffo dead centre on your motor.?

Yes signal gets worse the further I go east.
On thor your s.n r should be 90 + your
Declination offset angle is slightily off
This is the distance between the bottom
Edge of your dish and the center axis
Of the motor arm in your case it should
Be 6.8 ° drive the motor to thor try adjustments at the motor slightily until the
S.n.r on thor improves

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

there's a lot of jargon on the posts here. make sure your mount is plumb, set your motor to the elevation stated in your manual & tighten it. make sure your lnb is vertical. get a signal meter (£5 off ebay). use satfinder app to approximate 0.8 thor & tweak the dish until you find the sweetspot, tighten up, set the long & lat in your tuner settings from dishpointer.com, & usals. tune 0.8 & then through the other sats on the arc, put our line in using filezilla (i use cccam) & that's about it. my 1.1m dish has a superior dark motor, 50m of shotgun cable & my zgemma h2s (with iptv on it) drives my dish without issue. i've lost thor due to the neighbour's trees, so mainly use 28.2e, 23.5e, 19.2e, 13e, 16e & 30w . i use it mainly for sport 3pm's ufc, boxing (inc the sky ppv that only the uk & yanks fork out for) but there is a mass of hd content across these sats.

I could never get a zgemma h2h to drive my motor, so i ended up hooking the multisat dish to a dreambox, luckily theres 3 hdmi ports on the tv which covers my v6 box from vm, my zgemma and the dreambox, tried everything i could think of at the time but just could not get the h2h to move the motor, gonna get a formuler box next time with a cable tuner and 2 sat tuners and hopefully that will do the job.

Does the h2h have power figureres near the sat port

As the port needs extra power
The h2s will but only one of the ports will do it

Back