Help me out building a new computer?

vampss

I have all the parts selected but I am very iffy about buying them until I know it can function as a pretty good gaming computer, any and all advice about maybe part switch outs or what should change would be most appreciated
CPUIntel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor
MotherboardASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
MemoryG.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
StorageWestern Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video CardPowerColor Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card
CaseCooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case
Power SupplySilverstone Strider Essential 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical DriveLG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer
Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
MonitorHP 2011x 20.0" Monitor

Pardon me, but I'm still grasping at the basics, which I5 cpu would you recomend? These numbers don't mean much to me sadly...

I would change the processor (CPU) to one of these

Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor

Code:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sandybridge-i5-2500K-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B004FA8NX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374368422&sr=8-1&keywords=i5+2500k

Or

Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K

Code:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Generation-i5-3570K-3-40GHz-Technology/dp/B007RUZKK6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374368598&sr=8-2&keywords=i5+2500k

I would also go with an SSD (Solid State Drive) for your Operating system and use the WD 1TB for storage.

Samsung 840 Series Pro 128GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive

Code:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Series-128GB-Solid-State/dp/B009LI7CKI/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1372234934&sr=1-2&keywords=samsung+840+pro"]Samsung 840 Series Pro 128GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Whats the benefit of using a solid state drive over just one for storage?
Is it possible to have two hard-drives hooked into a computer without alot of additional external hardware?

solid state hardrives are brilliant you only put your operating system on their makes your pc boot up in seconds. and also makes your operating system run smoother. it is easy to install two hardrives without too many problems. however, if you are on a budget dont bother with the solid state drive as they are expensive. i would also use windows 8 as my operating system but that is down to personnel preference.

Last edited:
Whats the benefit of using a solid state drive over just one for storage?
Is it possible to have two hard-drives hooked into a computer without alot of additional external hardware?

Solid State Drives are beneficial over mechanical drives for four main reasons, three of them are speed related and the fourth is wear and tear related due to no disk platter and scribe movement.

SSD Benefits:

1. Faster booth times

2. Faster read times

3. Faster write times

4. No moving parts

Installing more than one drive to a system is simple. All newer SATA Motherboards have at least four to six on-board SATA ports of varying speeds (depending on manufacturer) and each port is capable of accommodating a single drive. Both standard mechanical drives and SSD drives have the same 2 connections, one for a Data cable which goes from the drive to a SATA port on the Motherboard and the other is for a power cable which comes directly from your power supply to the drive. The BIOS chip on most\all modern Motherboards will automatically detect all\any drives connected to the system so there is no magic involved really ;)

All builds are budget related to a point and if your budget is tight you could always build the system using an SSD and ad the standard storage drive at a later date when funds become available. Doing it that way will alleviate the need to install the OS twice ;) If budget constraints don't apply? It's a no brainer, go with SSD.

let me see if i have everything correct here.

CPU

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
MotherboardASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
MemoryG.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
StorageSamsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video CardPowerColor Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card
CaseCooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case
Power SupplySilverstone Strider Essential 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical DriveLG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer
Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

with these changes you're saying it could really improve overall preformance and increase gaming potential correct?
you guys have been amazing thank you for all your time and help ^^

Last edited:
with these changes you're saying it could really improve overall preformance and increase gaming potential correct?

Correct, that will be a fine machine (y)

You haven't mentioned a guide as to what your budget is and I wouldn't like to pick holes in your choice of parts but I'm surprised at the fact you appear willing to buy top quality parts yet have a strange choice of Motherboard. Not saying it's a bad board but it is a real budget board.

Last edited:
you must also remember, that you can normally buy one cheaper with the above specs a lot cheaper than building it yourself. i will still maintain a solid state drive is a luxury rather than something that is totally necessary. if you are gaming concentrate on the cpu, ram,graphics and sound cards. the only thing i have on my pc is a solid state hard rive and operating system with maxed out ram and a cheap graphics card etc as i am into cloud computing and don't bother with games. so in a nutshell build the pc for your requirements

Last edited:
you must also remember, that you can normally buy one cheaper with the above specs a lot cheaper than building it yourself.

Interesting comment. Will you point us to one source, just one will do, for a machine with that Spec that can be bought off the shelf for a lot less than the cost of building yourself?

I agree that will be a fine machine. I've done a couple of builds myself in the last year and gone AMD simply on value. An FX 8350 will at least match that i5 2500k (and be £30-40 ish cheaper)but it's down to personal choice I've always been an AMD fanboy..not had an intel since P4 :p

without the solid state hard rive i can find an overall better spec. which there will not be a lot in it. their is a VI box on play.com

Well since I've hit 5 posts heres a part list i've saved

vampss: Saved Parts List:

Code:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/vampss/saved/20aC

My budgets around 1500 bucks.
could you also point me towards a better mother board?

Last edited by a moderator:
the one i have mentioned in my above post from play.com is £1300.00 with i7 qaud core cpu, windows 8, "23" hd monitor and all sorts of other things just take a look.

My budgets around 1500 bucks.
could you also point me towards a better mother board?

Many users will have their own preferances when it comes to mainboards but one of my favourites right now is the

MSI Z77-MPOWER LGA1155 INTEL ATX Motherboard (and with your budget you can afford it)

Code:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Z77-MPOWER-LGA1155-INTEL-Motherboard/dp/B008VZROK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373905164&sr=8-1&keywords=MSI+Z77-MPOWER"]MSI Z77-MPOWER LGA1155 INTEL ATX Motherboard: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Bare in mind that it is a full ATX board (so make sure your case will take it) with great features including on-board WiFi and Bluetooth and is a dream to work on. It even has a one click overclock button (OC Genie) which gives you the maximum performance safely

Each and every one of them are individually hand tested at very high stress levels prior to leaving the factory so it's highly unlikely you could get one DOA.

Have a look at this review :

[video=youtube;kBGg_-1jTJg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBGg_-1jTJg[/video]

without the solid state hard rive i can find an overall better spec. which there will not be a lot in it. their is a VI box on play.com

No, not without an SSD or with an over rated overpriced i7, just as per your earlier comment, the same for a lot less than it would cost to build yourself.....

Uhm, I doubt i could fit that beast in my case. o.o Any smaller ones for recomendation?

Your original case choice (Cooler Master Storm Scout) supports both Micro ATX and ATX so it will take either board (ASRock or MSI). Check 3:33 of this review.

[video=youtube;vsw9wMikp_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsw9wMikp_8[/video]

Don't get too hung up on all the recommendations though, if you're happy with the ASRock? It will be fine too.

Do you already have the case? the reason I ask is that there is a COOLER MASTER CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced with USB 3 for Approx the same price as the original Storm

Code:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119263

[video=youtube;ctbIxCi6nBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ctbIxCi6nBc#at=125[/video]

The single most important aspect when it comes to choosing components for a build is to ensure all parts are compatible with each other, you have done real well with your original list when it comes to that ;)

Last edited:
ok, even if you add a solid state hardrive it still comes in around £150.00 cheaper as you are now asking him to upgrade his motherboard. and my option is still an overall better spec. i do appreciate some people still like to build their own pc, but their is no money to be saved nowadays building your own pc. finding a better spec easily beat your challange. which took about 30 seconds. the real saving is more like £250.00 as i forgot the ddr3 mem. all i did is take the cost of of building the same spec pc that you advise including the cost of the new advised motherboard then the cost of adding ssd to the pre-built pc tht i advised and my option is around £250.00 cheaper as mentioned with a higher spec.

Last edited:
Back