help on satellite box

McTam

Good morning to you all as I am new on here please excuse my lack of knowledge. I currently have Sky installed but would like to install my own satellite receiver as I am finding Sky too expensive. I would like to still retain the functionality of Sky as in record two channels at once (I do have an external hard drive), also keep the channels I have already (Idont subscribe to sport or anything apart from the basic package. I would also still like to keep the catch up functionality and am aware this would require an adsl line. I have had a look at the suggested devices but got a bit confused. My brother got an Openbox V8S but I dont think that will have all the options I have mentioned? Any help would be grateful with this as my knowledge on the subject is limited as you can probably see. Thank you in advance Alexx

Cheapest you can get that'll look like sky is either a zgemma or an edision. You'll be getting all the channels though, you can't only get certain ones, if that's what you mean - but you can edit your TV guide on the box to not show bouquets of channels that you're not interested in.

Openboxes are shite compared to Linux enigma2 receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really concerned about it 'looking like Sky' more having all the channels and the ability to record more than one channel at once as I mentioned. Also I dont really want to haveto pay a subscription which I forgot to mention. Than kyou for you response but I think I need a little more information. Regards Alex

Well you'll need a twin tuner whatever you go for and I don't think openboxes come as a twin tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will need a subscription or else you end up with a glorified Freeview box, but when you bear in mind a good subscription for all channels inc sports and movies is probably between £40 - £60 per year compared to what you are paying at the moment its peanuts

Thank you for your response. Can you tell me who I would pay a subscription to please? Or is that dependant on which box I purchase? Thanks again.

There's thousands of places you can get them. Post in the satellite server request thread and try a few test lines out first.

Twin tuner - record one while watching another channel or record two and the box will lock itself to both channels while recording.
Triple tuner - record two watch while watching another channel or record three and the box will lock itself to the channels while recording.
and so on....

You won't get the catch up function but they repeat that many programs you shouldn't need it lol

Have a read here

Post a request for a server here

Read the Advisory in the first post before requesting (y)

Last edited:
Thanks I did read your posting but still needed some more info. I understand now with regard to recording.

Back