Help with a little plumbing job...

I was / am 99% certain that it's that rubber so i'll inspect it when I remove the valve, hopefully simple enough to remove.

Not sure if access is easy for shutting supply off - I should imagine it will be, he sent me some pics... wonder if this screw thing is to shut water off.

9GCS46X.jpg

no
NO NO
you need to turn it off before it even gets to the toilet,
stop cock if no other option, and open all the taps to let the pressure out
BTW , a whole new syphon system should only be about a tenner or so, so hardly worth just trying to source a washer, sometimes,
when you turn water back on make sure the taps are turned down a bit [lot] otherwise you [your brother] will have a very wet house as they cough up the air,,,,

Reactions: ste
Ok, there should be an isolation valve somewhere which i'll have to locate - it's an enclosed cistern so hopefully they haven't hidden it somewhere stupid.

I believe there's a different between a syphon and a flush valve? and the flush valves are more common in enclosed cisterns?

And might be easier to just replace the rubber on the valve if it is definitely that or I will have to remove the whole cistern wouldn't I to replace the full thing.

Ok, there should be an isolation valve somewhere which i'll have to locate - it's an enclosed cistern so hopefully they haven't hidden it somewhere stupid.

I believe there's a different between a syphon and a flush valve? and the flush valves are more common in enclosed cisterns?

And might be easier to just replace the rubber on the valve if it is definitely that or I will have to remove the whole cistern wouldn't I to replace the full thing.

for all intents and purposes, to you and me , its the same thing
if it has an internal overflow, which by the pictures, it seems to have, then its probably a fairly simply job ,
my inlet diaphragm went, my plumber told me it would be 50p for a replacement, but for the least hassle fix a complete syphon for 12£ from B&Q sorted it, at his recommendation

Seems a bit of a hassle replacing the full valve for the sake of a diaphragm / rubber? ... i've seen tutorials / videos on YouTube and to replace the full valve, you need to unbolt it from the bottom (underneath) of the cistern which probably wouldn't be too simple on an enclosed cistern.

Seems a bit of a hassle replacing the full valve for the sake of a diaphragm / rubber? ... i've seen tutorials / videos on YouTube and to replace the full valve, you need to unbolt it from the bottom (underneath) of the cistern which probably wouldn't be too simple on an enclosed cistern.
I replaced mine last year, didnt involve anything below the cistern at all,
everything was internal to the cistern
think about it, when you flush, the cistern doesnt completely empty, still maybe an inch of water,
when I fitted my toilet, the syphon actually got fitted after the toilet had been fitted,

Watch a YouTube video of a flush valve replacement. All the ones I've seen have had to unscrew the valve from underneath the cistern ... the water pipe that feeds the water into the pan goes into this valve.

Watch a YouTube video of a flush valve replacement. All the ones I've seen have had to unscrew the valve from underneath the cistern ... the water pipe that feeds the water into the pan goes into this valve.

Dunno Ste, you sure they weren't yank,?
I done mine last year, simply turned iso off and unscrewed inside cistern.

yes, you're correct,
I had a beer freeze last night,
the incoming feed screws into the bottom of the syphon/flush fill from outside the cistern

Steptoe! Crutchloe in Misano is screaming for you with your halfords tool kit to do some spanner work on his honda 90 before free practice tomorrow morning or his chances for the race will be scuppered:):(y):

Steptoe! Crutchloe in Misano is screaming for you with your halfords tool kit to do some spanner work on his honda 90 before free practice tomorrow morning or his chances for the race will be scuppered:):(y):

sorry
I'm busy sorting out @ste 's shit, literally, :poop:

Reactions: ste
most internal vales will have a large plastic nut on the underneath of the cistern so you have to remove the cistern from the basin to replace it. Usually 2 wing nuts hold the cistern to the basin, remove these and the cistern will lift off.

You may need to remove the inlet pipe as well to lift the cistern, and you will definately need to stop the water supply somewhere, and like steptoe says open a few taps (and do be careful when turning the water supply back on.

You could be a tight arse and drain all the water from the cistern and putting silicone sealant around where you think its leaking. Not looked at the pics that you may or may not have posted so I may be talking complete drivel!!

It wasn't leaking from the cistern as originally mentioned, water was leaking through the rubber seal and going back into the toilet pan.

I have since removed the valve (it just twisted off) and there was a bit of gunk on this rubber so I cleaned it off and put it back and it's miles better but i've advised him to replace that rubber.

Just doing what you did to mine.
Seriously though if you needed to ask that question I suggest you undertake all future work under supervision

No, you made an observation about a product which isn't suitable for the majority of people which you couldn't seem to grasp whereas I was merely asking for advice on something i'd never touched before.

I am very good at doing things like this and have a basic grasp of plumbing but as said, these push valves aren't something that i've come across. The plumber quoted him around £500 for removal of a radiator and coming back to put it back on another few days later, replacement of kitchen mixer tap (fitting only) and to fix the leaking toilet - I managed to do all 3 for him

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother is having a bit of trouble with his toilet pan - water is slowly seeping through into it and I think it's the rubber at the bottom of the valve.... if that's what it's called anyway?

This is it - can someone confirm what this is actually called? syphon or a valve etc and does it just twist off to access the rubber to inspect / change it?

Tpm5quj.jpg

bleach and salt 24hrs then flush twice if persists need to take cistern off pedestal two wing type nuts left and right as you look at the cistern underneath undo unscrew inlet for water ups turn off water stop cock should be close by then replace as need be although i change all the innards including the water inlet most important saves you trouble down the line

Back