How do I get fibre broadband in my area?

wesley84

Hi guys, just wondering how do I go about getting fibre broadband in my area.
I’ve heard that I need to get around 10 neighbours to say they require fibre and then they will install it.

Anyone gone down this route or have any info. Would be grateful

Wes

Don't think it matters how much people request it mate, it might not even be possible depending on what area you live?

Don't think it matters how much people request it mate, it might not even be possible depending on what area you live?
I'm in grays, Essex. On one of those new housing and flats estates. I've notice vm have installed fibre optic to some of the flats closers to the main road. My exchange box comes up as running fibre so......... just need wiring maybe ???

so plainly speaking you want virgin rather than fibre broadband which can be a variety of things. virgin are doing infills in areas where they have the service so you're best bet is to register and wait.

where i used to live they run fibre to the builds next to me but never to my block of flats as if it was just missed. They do have an online request but not sure if that really gets them to do it

where i used to live they run fibre to the builds next to me but never to my block of flats as if it was just missed. They do have an online request but not sure if that really gets them to do it
Yes mate exactly my point. I've done the online request every year for 5 years. What needs to be said or done to get them to actually install fibre anyone know????????????????????????

you need to get loads of people to do it, only if its financially viable will they lift a finger. how far away is the nearest property with virgin?

engineer told me he had to driver quite some distance away to find it when I had previous broadband trouble. I can find out using google right

engineer told me he had to driver quite some distance away to find it when I had previous broadband trouble. I can find out using google right
its not driving distance,
its cable distance

my cab is substantially less than 1 mile from me,
but cable run is about a mile,
there is some internet thing available that tells you approx how far away you are from the actual cab

Hi guys, just wondering how do I go about getting fibre broadband in my area.
I’ve heard that I need to get around 10 neighbours to say they require fibre and then they will install it.

Anyone gone down this route or have any info. Would be grateful
Wes

At the end of the day regarding VM it all comes down to cost for the provider and whether they will recieve a substantial return in a set amount of time, people living in the sticks can forgot it for at least a while so what you need to do is keep asking VM and hope other households in your area do the same and then wait for an outcome.

It will be area dependant so i,m unsure of the 10 requests per out of range enquirys but its worth trying..I can understand your pain as i know people who live in areas with apparantly good fibre signals via adsl and they have been known to me to have kittens due to the appalling service,, problem with BT cabling is that in some areas the cabling was installed not that long after the second world war so you have ageing cabling that has to deal with fibre optic speeds from the nearest exchange (wherever that is),, no such issues with VM tho as they run high quality rg6 duct grade cabling from fibre optic enabled cabinets which are usually in a close proximity.

VM currently employ an FTTC (Fibre Optic to the cabinet) system but there is rumours a new FTTK (Fibre Optic to the kerb) system is in talks for the uk which would be fantastic speeds wise..BT just cannot compete with that.

If anyone here on this very thread or in the open forum has very poor broadband there is other moves you can do to take matters into your own hands, a lot of these procedures will fall on deaf ears unfortunately but if you dont try you wont know the outcome..

Contact your existing provider and complain about poor speeds/connection
(use a decent router) = draytek/ or open source like tomato or merlin

Contacting other organisations like below can help
Ofcom
Ombudsman
Trading standards

Or even gather signatures in your area

You can even write to your local MP

Last edited:
Back