how to find cmos battery

anfieldroad

i have a problem with a acer aspire 5536 it wont boot up and i do not know the bios password i have heard that you can pull the cmos battery for a about 30 secs it will reset its self is this true because i can not do anything with this laptop

Hi anfieldroad.

You can download the manual at the following link for your 5536.

Code:
http://tim.id.au/laptops/acer/aspire%205738g%205738zg%205738z%205738%205338%205536%205536g%205236.pdf

You will see the battery in chapter3 page 81.

If you can get at it and remove it for around 10 secs or so by just removing the covers (memory cover, hard drive cover etc) then that should clear the password. It is very important that the main big battery is removed also or the password will not clear.

If you cannot get at the battery by just removing the covers, then you will have to follow the dissembly giude in the manual to do so. Ensure you take your time if dissembling and try not to get frustrated as they can be fiddly little things.

Good Luck,
jodav :)

some of the acers came with one that the battery could not be removed,so the only option was to short the battery by crossing with a screwdriver(flat head placed on the 2 wires and power on),worked for me

if i remember correctly it is somewhat hidden if it is not a removable battery,i think it is bottom right on the back,the battery will be covered with a plastic,you remove the power cord,press the screwdriver against the 2 wires of the battery forming a bridge,press and hold the power on button for 10 seconds and thats it,if you have one that has a removable battery take out power cord,remove battery and press and hold power button for 10 deconds and same result

thanks for that jodav i dont know if am capable to do it am a bit scared

I am very experienced when it comes to dissembling and reassembling laptops anfieldroad, and I still get a little nervous when tackling one i have not worked on before. My advice would be to take it to a repair shop and ask them to do it for you if you are not confident enough to do it. There are so many things that you could damage that you could end up with more problems than you started with. Unless you know someone who is experienced ofcourse.

Hope you get it sorted, and let me know if you need any more help or advice.

Here are a few tips if you decide to tackle it yourself anfieldroad.

Before starting ensure you have a good set of small screwdrivers are sometimes many different types of small screws and screwheads on one laptop. There is nothing worse than getting most of it ripped out only to find a screwhead that you do not have a driver for.

Do not use magnetic screwdrivers if possible. Saying that I always do if I can but it is not genraly recommended. Comps in our days are less prone to electric discharge than they used to be.

Always start by removing the big battery.

Get some paper and wright down every little step as you proceed and number. This is invaluable when reassembling the laptop. It stops you putting the bulk back together only to find you have forgot to attatch a small ribbon cable etc. Just reassemble backwards to the written down steps

Get some small poly bags for screws and number them to the steps on your paper and wright down what they are for, this ensures the right size screws go in the correct places.

Space everything out in order you remove them so as you can again work backwards.

On the main base screws I sometimes leave them in position after unscrewing them and then cover with cellotape to keep them in the correct holes as the base usually has different lengths of screws that need to go in the correct holes.

Be very gentle with unclipping ribbon cable attachments and pulling out the ribbons.

Use your mobile to take pictures if you feel the need at certain steps.

Always leave putting the big battery in till last.

Good Luck,

Last edited:
its a mates laptop jodav if it was my own i think i would have a go i like a challenge,i dont think it should cost to much to get the cmos popped ,what do you think,i have read somewere about backdoor passwords aswell

Hi anfieldroad.

I think at most it will cost around £40, hopefuly less.

Very old laptops have master passwords that you can easily google on the web, but newer ones like this one do not. They can sometimes be generated by the serial number, so you could try ringing Acer who may be able to generate a backdoor password for you pending you have the laptop at hand to give them serial number.

you could try a boot disk down load one with a password changer on it delete the password there is a load of them about

Here is a vidieo I have found anfieldroad of dissassembly of an acer laptop. It is not your model but will give you a genral idea of what is involved.
But as it is your mates and you are not too experienced it may be better to first try ringing acer, and failing that go to a repair shop. Unless your mat gives you the go ahead to have ago as long as he is aware of the risk.

[video=youtube;f_a531XBbtg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_a531XBbtg[/video]

i would have tried that one hadmad mate but he brought it to a shop he said he would only charge 20 quid but now he is saying cause i tried a few times to get into the bios he as to send it away now,so dont know how much its goin to cost him now.thanks for the vid jordav you are a star lar

Back