Integrated Graphics Card

jigger121

TK Veteran
TK Supporter
ATI Radeon HD 4250 Graphics integrated, can an integrated graphics card overheat burn out and can it be replaced by resoldering the same model?

i would assume so.i would first make sure that was my problem.more info would really help.

Yes a graphics card can overheat.

I would look into why it is overheating 1st.

I would suspect a clogged up fan or the GPU has become detached from it's base and the thermal compound is no longer making a good connection between the heatsink and the card.

If you know what you are doing, take the graphics card out and reapply new thermal compound. The card should come out by removing a 3 or 4 screws.

But could it overheat so much that it would need replacing? I am going to buy a new cpu and lcd wire, thermal paste, new cpu cooler, new wifi cables. The whole works haha

The problem is no screen still being shown but computer being powering up, and fan start then cut out after a few seconds. Tried out ram and hard drive, but i was having problems with the screen before it (would sometimes needed to be restarted after black screen and would work). Opened it up and thermal paste was all over the cpu and gpu fully melted into it. So i cleaned it all off reapplied new paste but still nothing. So trying to see if i need a gpu or cpu or even if the graphics card has fully given out

Anything is possible, but any modern system would detect a over heating issue and shut it self down in order to protect itself.

It's very possible that your graphics card is just about dead or seized bearings on the fan.

The thermal compound should not be "all over the cpu and gpu", you only need a very thin layer between the cpu, gpu and heat sinks.

When you applied the new paste how much did you use? You only need a very small amount, if it is squeezing out the sides of the gpu and cpu, then you are using too much, wipe it off immediately.
Make sure get a good quality thermal paste, I've used Arctic Silver and it works really well, not a fan of thermal grease.

Put in the new parts in and cross your fingers ;)

I used just a little definitely not going over the edges lol but its an integrated one so requires soldering which is a bit of a melt and still no guarantee. Thanks for the tip by the way. Just dont want to be buying needless parts and wasting money :)

Forgot about the "integrated" part ;)

Take your time and hopefully the new parts will fix the problems.

Good luck with it and let us know what happens. :)

Back