Killed the Engine :(

Buckham_uk

TK Veteran
Managed to kill it!! Turbo failed and managed to suck oil through into the engine. Never seen it live before so panicked and didn't immediately think of stalling in 6th (probably would've saved the engine if i was quick enough to react)

Long story short I've managed to pickup a new Engine(0miles brand new) clutch kit and DMF for £2,200 all-in.

Wondering if anyone had any advice on running in a new engine as never spoken to anyone who's done it before.

Car is 2008 saab 9-3 TTiD estate

Rev like bejaysus, drive at 90 MPH in the city, 110 on the motorway. Save for your new engine

Personal experience recently.
Keep revs below 2500rpm and change gears as often as possible so engine has to work a bit.
Ran mine in for 1000 miles avoiding long motorway runs where engine was in cruise mode.
Had full oil and filter change after the 1000 miles were up.
Belted the daylights out of it since with no problems and getting better MPG than i ever did previously.

That a new engine job you had done then beni? just ive had used engines put in a car before and told to go steady for a few hundred miles but never a "new" engine. didn't have any issues before but didn't know if there was any special attention that needed doing like weekly/daily oil checks or what have you. my main problem is not covering many miles as i live about 2-3miles away from where i work so will take quite a while to rack up 1,000 without purposely going out of my way to get through them

---------- Post Merged on 12-05-2016 at 12:02 AM ----------

Ordered 0W-40 premium longlife fully synthetic. Will get some more to stick in the boot just incase. Just hoping it all goes well and theres no hiccups getting the engine running after.
use a fully high end full synthetic oil for extreme protection of your engine.

My old engine was completely fecked !!
Had everything remachined and all new parts etc as the cost of a new one was more than the value of the car !
In effect a new engine when i got it back.
Same principles apply whether new or refurbished generally and my mechanic is an ex racing car engineer so i listened for a change as it's an expensive exercise.

Sound i'll bear that in mind. Did you have to change to odometer to read 0 miles? i would imagine i would need to but not sure how i go about it or if you're supposed to or just to keep logs of what mileage has been covered with new engine

take a note of when engine was done,write it on inside of bonnet when done.setting odometer to 0 would be of no gain as the rest of car has done the mileage.note got a car handbook enter there also.

Haha..trying to change my new image in signature so everybody will recognise me now !!..lol

Back