Laptop Touchpad not working

Hi

My touchpad stopped working after my laptop was dropped on the floor. I have used system restore and tried updating the driver for it, but it is still not working.
When I touch the touchpad, the mouse pointer does not move and both right-click and left-click do not respond?

My laptop details can be found below. Any help would be appreciated.

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite P200-12D
System: Windows 7 – 64bit
Synaptics TouchPad v6.3 – port PS/2.
Driver version: 13.2.1.0
Driver Date: 12/06/2009

The device is enabled and working properly according to the device status of the device (properties).

Could be the connection between the touchpad and motherboard has come loose after the knock.
You will have to take it apart carefully to check, be very careful removing and reinserting the connection as they can be easily damaged.
Its a longshot for now though as these connections a normally quiet secure.

Hi dragondriver,

It most probably wont be a software problem dragondriver, and is more likely to be a hardware fault if it was dropped. Hopefuly the touchpad small ribbon cable has become unseated inside. Hopefully the touch-pad itself is not permanently damaged.

You might be able to get away with just removing the Keyboard dragondriver, and it looks like you will be able to see the touch-pad connector to see if it is dislodged in any way.

Here is a Keyboard dissassembly guide that i think will suit your model. Here is a full dissessembly guide that hopefully you will not need.

And here is a pic of the ribbon cable in question.

toshiba-satellite-p205-17.jpg

Toshiba laptops are very simple to take apart, underneath the laptop you will find around three screws with a keyboard logo on them, remove these, then flip over open the screen and above or below the keyboard will be around 4 spring clips, once pushing these in carefully with a plastic pen or sharp edge the keyboard will pop out, be careful of the cable below. Once at this point you can refer to Jodavs diagram.

Hi

I tried your suggestions and opened up my laptop following the website Jodav provided. I unplugged and reinsterted the plug for the touchpad.
But it still won't work.

I have also tried to see if it got disabled by accident, so I found the manual and it told me to press the FN and F9 keys to re-enable it. Still nothing.

What I don't understand is why the properties says the hardware is working, when it is not?

The properties is basically saying that your Operating System can see\recognise the touch-pad and can communicate with it, if the touch-pad was working. It does not know the touch-pad is poorly for want of a better word. It looks like the next step is to buy another palm rest of somewhere like e-bay dragondriver. But replacing that is not as easy as what you have just done. However with a bit of patients, I am sure you can do it if you take your time using the guides provided. If you are uncomfortable doing this however, then take it to a repair shop, do not go outside your comfort zone.

Hi my grandaughters old dell Which I had reformated 9 months ago the touchpad had stopped working, I tryed the normal thing just like you have done. I then reformated and reloaded XP + all drvers and low and behold it was working. Before loading xp I had reinstalled the drivers and it said it was working even tho it was not.

If you have backup try reloading you have not got much to lose.

Back