Latest Raspberry Pi

My youngest lad has one, they are ok for a very cheap computer but don't expect much. You can run several cool programs on them and use them as a basic unit like media player etc and play so older games but unless your a geek I wouldn't bother as most sit gathering dust now adays

This should run faster than an amazon firestick with Kodi installed so for around £50 for a full kit install Openelec embedded Kodi version and its a pretty cool Media player

This should run faster than an amazon firestick with Kodi installed so for around £50 for a full kit install Openelec embedded Kodi version and its a pretty cool Media player

agreed it does make a great media player but with all the hype around the PI, to me its a huge let down.

excelent bit of kit and good for electronics. robotics mainly if your into that but i have about 5 in my house from security cams, dash cams, GPS Tracking bird watching etc.

even a wireless Music center as well. some poeple even make arcade machines out of them. good starting point to learn linux as well.

ma3a

Ye, I've built a couple of arcade machines using them,
I'm making a 2 player vertical one atm using a Pi2B and a code to use the header pins rather than a USB controller,
Great fun, :)

I bought a pi out of curiosity (and because they are cheap). I loved the diy aspect, and learnt about connecting other things to it. This led me to the arduino, and from there to basic electronics.

If someone five years ago told me that I'd have designed and made a tracking unit for my car, that you can send a text message to, and it replies with the co-ordinates of it's location I would have laughed. It cost me less than twenty quid to make. I'm now planning to learn how to write an android program for my phone that sends the text then pumps the result into google earth.

Get a pi. It may end up gathering dust; It could inspire you. It costs thirty five quid.

The pi makes an excellent low power 'always on' file server accessible by all your devices - just add a large usb drive, no problem streaming HD movies etc to smart tv/Zgemma/smart phone

The pi makes an excellent low power 'always on' file server accessible by all your devices - just add a large usb drive, no problem streaming HD movies etc to smart tv/Zgemma/smart phone

I know I'm a bit late on this thread but I have a Raspberrypi set up as a file server and was wondering if any of you knew how to / or even if it is possible to set an E2 box to record to it?

Last edited:
So i've a pi 1 and a pi 2 lying around after being replaced by a pi 3. Has anyone ventured into the pi projects end of things? My brother said he set one up as a security camera, but i reckon he got his son to do it.

I have one converted into an Arcade Machine, runs everything from Spectrum and Amiga to Playstation 1 and N64 perfectly. Ordering another to be used as a Kodi box

Paul might have an easier way but this is the guide I used -
Code:
[URL]https://www.sitepoint.com/setting-up-a-home-vpn-using-your-raspberry-pi/[/URL]

Some of the screenshots I didn't encounter so maybe it needs updating but just make your way through as close as you can and it'll work.

That is the exact guide I used the first command downloads and installed it in one go then just follow the instructions and screenshots but be warned, when it comes too the pi making the encryption part, it takes ages, so do it when you have time, it looks like it's froze with just lines on screen but it still working away so just wait cos once it's finished it's good

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

Took about 5 minutes at least to do the middle level of encryption, I dread to think how long the 'paranoid' level would take. lol

When I did it on the pi zero, it took about 2hrs but pi2/3 are fast so should be OK

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

Back