Mag 250 Being Throttled?

I bought £30 android which is showing 30 download but still buffering and only showing sd, its isp not my iptv. Pretty sure Voda are somehow throttling mag. I ordered replacement router on line just to see if it could be router but now after reading your post positive it’s Voda. Please post if vpn works
I'll test tonight and post results. Hopefully sorts it out.

Wired laptop to the same ethernet connection that is in the mag box. Speed tests at 50+mbs. This was wired directly to the router. All other devices are getting 50+mbs. Mag box works fine as its been tested in 2 other houses and getting really good speeds. Brand new ethernet cable tried and same results. Rules out cabling, and connecting to the wifi extender.

And finally that tells me a lot. Everything appears to be fine with speeds into the house, boxes and where your connecting it. :(y):
Also the mag box appears to be fine too if its been tried in other properties and works ok. Nice one.

Whats its telling me now is Your router is blocking the connection, You could try porting the mag box.
In the router settings which you open in a web page you may have to open a port to let your router know its connected an allow full speed thru?
It will without any help allow some speed thru but not all the speed. Not easy to explain but its worth a try
I also have to do this to allow my torrent software to get full speed from the connections so it downloads the torrents.
Its not hard to do just google it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Por.....69i57j0l5.5097j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

EDIT: My router settings
BLOCKED.png

Last edited:
And finally that tells me a lot. Everything appears to be fine with speeds into the house, boxes and where your connecting it. :(y):
Also the mag box appears to be fine too if its been tried in other properties and works ok. Nice one.

Whats its telling me now is Your router is blocking the connection, You could try porting the mag box.
In the router settings which you open in a web page you may have to open a port to let your router know its connected an allow full speed thru?
It will without any help allow some speed thru but not all the speed. Not easy to explain but its worth a try
I also have to do this to allow my torrent software to get full speed from the connections so it downloads the torrents.
Its not hard to do just google it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Por.....69i57j0l5.5097j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

EDIT: My router settings
View attachment 36395
Hi ,firstly , sorry for jumping into other guys post.

I have ruled out problem with mag , tested at friends house getting 20 plus.
I am hard wired via homeplugs which have been tested other devices getting 30
I have hardwired directly also from router getting 2
On wifi to mag getting 3

Its problem with isp or router.

Will look at ports but not too sure how to do this on voda router, thanks

Its problem with isp or router.

Will look at ports but not too sure how to do this on voda router, thanks

Not on voda myself and never have been so can,t help you with that but port forwarding is fairly straight forward.

It tells a device connected in your home network to send/allow information to it.
It will send some info but until the port is open it will not send all the info and possibly blocking some speed? Just like a firewall works.
Thats why earlier in thread I mentioned about the PACKETS dropped in the speed tests done concerned me. #post 16 in thread. Packets dropped
It looks like the only solution you and the OP have left. After having both of you tried the options made available to you from peoples opinions?
If anything it can rule something else out by trying.
Good luck.

Not on voda myself and never have been so can,t help you with that but port forwarding is fairly straight forward.

It tells a device connected in your home network to send/allow information to it.
It will send some info but until the port is open it will not send all the info and possibly blocking some speed? Just like a firewall works.
Thats why earlier in thread I mentioned about the PACKETS dropped in the speed tests done concerned me.
It looks like the only solution you and the OP have left. After having both of you tried the options made available to you from peoples opinions?
If anything it can rule something else out by trying.
Good luck.
thanks will get mate who is very pc to help

voda have started throttling bandwidth of iptv streams, also consider isp can see all connected devices, so what name does your router have for say a mag box (mag, 250, etc or Z7+) will be a dead give away.

voda have started throttling bandwidth of iptv streams, also consider isp can see all connected devices, so what name does your router have for say a mag box (mag, 250, etc or Z7+) will be a dead give away.

Yeah its looking like that could be the problem so me personally would be in my settings of the router and playing around since all routers in general have a reset button so even if you think you,ve made a mistake you can correct it.
Nothing to lose really. So name anything in there called magbox or whatever box just call them xbox or playstation 4 or my new smart TV or netflix or whatever. lol :grin:

hi , just to let you know , you have to change device name on device as voda router does not allow you to change
Any chance you could list the voda router so I could check a few places/people.
Like I say I don,t use or have not used voda so don,t know there router settings? (Pretty clueless on voda setup. :) but there must be somewhere its showing the mac code of the device?)
You wouldn,t be able to change the mac code but its device names you should be able too. :(

https://portforward.com/vodafone/

Last edited:
Any chance you could list the voda router so I could check a few places/people.
Like I say I don,t use or have not used voda so don,t know there router settings? (Pretty clueless on voda setup. :) but there must be somewhere its showing the mac code of the device?)
You wouldn,t be able to change the mac code but its device names you should be able too. :(

https://portforward.com/vodafone/
Hi , christara , what do you nan list the router?

Hi , christara , what do you nan (MEAN) list the router?
Make /model?
Has you can see from the port forward link I gave its only got a few models.
Plus the firewall in the router could be set to high as well, Might be ok for general browsing but for iptv might need to relax it a bit?

Having had a quick browse thru the video you posted it looks like you need to go to port management/mapping?
Has for settings thats up to you to change and configure. Around about 8.50 on the video. Also just before the mapping (8.50) there is a setting that says static NAT/DMZ read what it says, Maybe your device might like that tick so to allow it thru your strong firewall on the box?
No guarantee it will work but it seems to me something in the router is blocking. You will also have a reset option in there so if it doesn,t fix your problem you can go back to factory settings.
Don,t be scared just have a go, You,ll learn yourself around your router anyway.

Good luck.

Last edited:
hi, just done a speed test on google on mag and its 45 however on mag box specific speed test is 2 , how , why . crazy
Little confused by your text but I think you need to have a good look around all settings, (Magbox/router) Maybe get a test line of someone to check that.
Also if you have a friend who could have a look at it. No disrespect to you but when yourself looks at something too long you get to a habit that it could be something simple you,ve missed.
Fresh eyes on it could help? I mean if your anywhere near Halifax I,d call myself.

http://www.techkings.org/threads/mag256-w1-speed-test.129547/

Last edited:
Little confused by your text but I think you need to have a good look around all settings, (Magbox/router) Maybe get a test line of someone to check that.
Also if you have a friend who could have a look at it. No disrespect to you but when yourself looks at something too long you get to a habit that it could be something simple you,ve missed.
Fresh eyes on it could help? I mean if your anywhere near Halifax I,d call myself.

http://www.techkings.org/threads/mag256-w1-speed-test.129547/
Hi sorry , yes my text was confusing your right !
When I run an internal speed test on mag as video above it shows 2 download however when I run a speed test via google on mag browser it’s in the 40/50 range. I know internal speed test a bit unreliable but BIG difference ! Can’t understand !! And also I changed dns to 8888 few days back no good

Hi sorry , yes my text was confusing your right !
When I run an internal speed test on mag as video above it shows 2 download however when I run a speed test via google on mag browser it’s in the 40/50 range. I know internal speed test a bit unreliable but BIG difference ! Can’t understand !! And also I changed dns to 8888 few days back no good

Think its a question of jumping on the video you posted (#post-93) and get to 8.50-ish in the video and try the settings shown in the router?
Would also say if you change some settings in the router don,t forget to turn both mag/router off to make sure its change settings in both devices?
Apart from that I think I,ve suggested everything I would try if it was me in your place.
Don,t think I could suggest anything else.

EDIT: change DNS TO 1.1.1.1

Last edited:
Im on voda and everything was great with my box until a couple of weeks ago when suddenly the speeds dropped and i couldnt play anything without it buffering every few seconds. Tried a different dns etc to no avail. The only thing that has sorted my problem is to use a vpn on my box. As soon as I turn the vpn on everything is fine. The second it is off i get throttled amd cant stream a thing from my box. Ps4, plex, Netflix, iplayer etc is not affected without a vpn on so voda must be throttling iptv imo.

Im on voda and everything was great with my box until a couple of weeks ago when suddenly the speeds dropped and i couldnt play anything without it buffering every few seconds. Tried a different dns etc to no avail. The only thing that has sorted my problem is to use a vpn on my box. As soon as I turn the vpn on everything is fine. The second it is off i get throttled amd cant stream a thing from my box. Ps4, plex, Netflix, iplayer etc is not affected without a vpn on so voda must be throttling iptv imo.
What device you steaming with?

Back