mk3 mondeo 2.0 duratec petrol idling problem

ashdarryl

Hi there, my mondeo has a problem when idling also when i take my foot off accelator revs dont go down straight away. on startup revs go straight to 2k revs and stay there for 3-4 seconds it idles just over 1k revs where as before it was just under 1k revs im semi skiiled with a good working knwoledge of cars i picked up on the problem a day before it put engine light on as i have good instinct with cars. already tried clening idle control valve with carb cleaner / replacement idle control valve (scrapyard) initially when i unplugged idle control valve the problem went away tried replacement but i cant guarantee it was in good working order got quote of £85 too read fault and £108 for brand new idle control valve. any input would be appreciated as i dont have that kind of money for what should be an easy fix. many thanks.

does the engine sound rough on tick over as some fords have an airpipe that collapses and splits drawing in extra air,under manifold or under coil pack maybe.

only in the sligtest but i guess thats next step, yeah it routes behind inlet manifold was kind of hoping wasnt that only one way too find out i spose thanks for heads up.

if symptoms went when you unpluged control valve thats your trouble.l got one of fleebay last year about half price.hope you sort it.

theres an additional problem too, inlet manifold has extra butterfly flaps which come loose over time if all goes well and they check out ok guess its brand new idle control valve.

i do have one question which would help me a great deal, the vaccum operated actuator arm that controls butterfly flaps located where manifold meets cylinder head didnt seem too have a regular pattern when idling i understand its sposed too direct air flow too injectors at idle. should there be a set pattern or some sort of stroke per minute basis so you can tell if its doing its job properly?

idle control valve

I had severe rattle in my inlet manifold, which made me change it.

Bought a used "new" where this problem is fixed.
Mounted and tested.
On start car revs up to 3000 rpm and idles on 1700-1800 rpm, jeeez!

Dismounted manifold for leak check or hose-off problems, no visual.
Mounted again, same problem.

Dismounted the ICV and find a litte carboard piece from the postal package inside the cylinder that prevents it from closing firmly.

Problem solved, idle at 850-900 rpm

Br
Stian Larsen, Norway:peace:

Back