Mother jailed for cruelty and neglect

noelyf

VIP Member
Thursday, 14 July 2011

A mother has been sentenced to 24 years in prison, with the final 16 years suspended, for the cruelty and neglect of eight of her children.

447.jpg

Court - Mother jailed

At Galway Circuit Criminal Court, a 47-year-old mother has been sentenced to 24 years in prison, with the final 16 years suspended, for the cruelty and neglect of eight of her children.

The woman pleaded guilty to eight sample charges of assaulting, ill-treating and neglecting two sons and six daughters over a seven-year period from 2002 to 2009.

She cannot be named to protect the identity of the children.

Imposing sentence, Judge Raymond Groarke said it was incredible that the abuse could go on for so many years with little or no intervention.

Last edited:
16 Suspended, why is this country so feckin messed up?? if the punishment doesn't fit the crime, it is not justice

so she had 8 kids - obviously never heard of contraception as if after having 1 you cant handle them and feel you have to abuse them why go on and have more????
as Wheelo said 24 yrs but 16 suspended WTF does that mean, in my eyes it means she gets 8 yrs - 1 yr for each child she abused! Thats really NOT ON!!!!!
I hope for the sake of the kids they have now gone to good homes and hope that some of them may be able to stay together!

people will look at this and think yes we can do the same and get away with it. Bloody joke if you ask me. Failure in the system. BIG TIME!

This case is worse than noely's report above, the mother was drinking 2 bottles of vodka per day, she sent the kids out begging to get money for her vodka, she bashed one of the kids so badly that she was then able to claim disability benefit, the kids were forced to watch her have sex, she left one girl bleeding from her genitals for over a week, stood by while her 14 year old was tied to a tree and whipped for an hour, and locked vice grips on that same girls nose, ears and lips and pulled until they split.
and for this she can be out in 6 years, and this they call JUSTICE, just this aint. May she die roaring.

sickening stuff alright
hope the cruel bitch does the hardest 8 years of her life
if it was any other country she would be executed
we are a soft country when it comes to sentencing
and where the hell were the child protection services
heads should roll there also

From the Evening Herald.

Mum laughed at daughter left tied to tree 'until nearly dead'

By Barry Duggan

Friday July 15 2011

THE horror of what eight children endured at their homes in bogs across the country by their mother was almost too much for anyone to bear in court.

Living in caravans, the family moved regularly and set up camp in sparse locations across the country.

Among their three caravans, only the mother was allowed inside the caravan storing her coveted possessions and all the children were strictly forbidding from entering it.

From the day they were born, the children had no running water, sanitary facilities or electricity. The mother controlled all financial affairs to the detriment of her children.

Any money the children got, she took from them and lodged in a post office account. The heinous offences were committed in the caravans and at quiet wooded areas.

Some of the children went to secondary school -- others were denied an education and kept at home to work or beg for her. Of the few days one daughter went to school, she said she could not concentrate because she was thinking of the bad things that would happen to her when she got home.

The mother even took their Communion money for cigarettes and drink.

She beat her children with various implements -- wooden branches, hammers, frying pans, whips, lumps of coal, glass bottles, cups, blocks, horse straps -- and constantly gave them black eyes from punching them.

VODKA
The girls' hair was "skinned" so they wouldn't leave home. A daughter was tied to a tree and left "until she was nearly dead" for not washing clothes in the middle of winter. The mother "had a good laugh" when she untied her.

The children were locked in their caravan and given wet sheets to sleep on, dry bread to eat or often nothing at all. When two children ran away from home, the mother blamed a son and daughter and gave them "an awful beating". On other occasions, a child was beaten when he or she begged their mother to stop assaulting their siblings.

When her six-year-old daughter was bleeding from her genitals, the mother refused to bring her to hospital. She bled for a week and a half with a sister attempting to care for her.

The mother's alcohol addiction grew to the point where she consumed up to two bottles of vodka a day.

Six of the children are currently in care. A social worker reported that when taken from the mother, the two youngest daughters had severe head lice infestation, throat and ear infections, when placed into foster care and didn't know what underwear was for.

Addressing one daughter yesterday, Judge Groarke said: "Your mother cannot harm you and your siblings again".

hnews@herald.ie
- Barry Duggan

Sorry First, you have just reminded me of another sickening aspect of this story, Social services knew about these kids in 2002, but the mother wasn't arrested until 2009, where the F+$king hell where they and what did they think was going on???

WHAT THE F*%*!!!

That is just disgusting! Here is me sitting here thinking how highly I respect women in general and how they should be treated with the upmost respect, and when I read something like this it kills me!! My mouth literally dropped when reading the update. Cant believe a mother would do that to her children! It just makes absolute no sense! I dont normally think ill of any one, but this **£*$& should be shot! Disgraceful!

Back