Motor dish installation....

Anst11

Hi all,

I have started to go balls deep and install a 1m dish and motor for euro satellites.

I had it before but had a guy to install but he is not doing it this time, so I thought I'd have a bash.

I have mechanically installed the dish and motor, as correct as I possiby can be. I have a sat finder thingy (freesat v8). its all cabled up etc, but upon doing a scan for thor 1w it just won't find anything. the dish moves to wherever I want it, but finds nothign each time.

I have the lattitude on the motor bracket correct (52 degrees).

Now what do i check and do?

Cheers all,

are you using usals,,,,,,,,,,,,send the dish to 28.2 e ,,, and work from there,,,,you dont have to use 1 west,,,,,if you are in the uk 28.2 e, will do for setup

i use DisEQC 1.2 fine tunes each satellite Also connect a mini positioner powered by the reciever to save time and efort so you have
your sat meter connected to your l.n.b and the mini positioner to the motor

I have a technomate h-h motor and a v8 sat finder that is currently on usals setting. should i try from my proper box and see if that makes a difference? i have inputted my long and lat in the v8 finder but im still in the dark lol.

I've obviously ballsed up somewhere....

I have a technomate h-h motor and a v8 sat finder that is currently on usals setting. should i try from my proper box and see if that makes a difference? i have inputted my long and lat in the v8 finder but im still in the dark lol.

I've obviously ballsed up somewhere....

Hi all,

I have started to go balls deep and install a 1m dish and motor for euro satellites.

I had it before but had a guy to install but he is not doing it this time, so I thought I'd have a bash.

I have mechanically installed the dish and motor, as correct as I possiby can be. I have a sat finder thingy (freesat v8). its all cabled up etc, but upon doing a scan for thor 1w it just won't find anything. the dish moves to wherever I want it, but finds nothign each time.

I have the lattitude on the motor bracket correct (52 degrees).

Now what do i check and do?

Cheers all,
You say you have set your motor bracket to 52 degrees. Depending on your motor the bracket should be set at ELEVATION ANGLE
in relation to your Latitude. On mine Latitude 53 so Elevation is 37 on the bracket.
Hope this helps.
WD40

update: beginning to tear my hair out lol..

I have a wall bracket which is dead plumb - checked.

on that i have a technomate usals motor set at 52 degrees lattitude.

ON that i have a dish mounted with a dish elevation of 22.5. degrees as per my location co ordinates.

once I did this, i checked plumb level again - all ok.

motor and dish pointing south.

Tried finding anything on a search via my technomate 5402 receiver and nothing.

Where have I gone wrong..

wd40.... not sure what you mean. on one side of motor bracket is has lattitude which i set at 52, and this corresponds to the other side that says elevation which was around 35 degrees or so.

update: beginning to tear my hair out lol..

I have a wall bracket which is dead plumb - checked.

on that i have a technomate usals motor set at 52 degrees lattitude.

ON that i have a dish mounted with a dish elevation of 22.5. degrees as per my location co ordinates.

once I did this, i checked plumb level again - all ok.

motor and dish pointing south.

Tried finding anything on a search via my technomate 5402 receiver and nothing.

Where have I gone wrong..

wd40.... not sure what you mean. on one side of motor bracket is has lattitude which i set at 52, and this corresponds to the other side that says elevation which was around 35 degrees or so.
All motors have different settings, so not sure about yours. I assume all settings are correct.
Drive your motor from the receiver to 28.2 degrees having set your receivers Lat and Lon to your location and then using a compass turn the whole dish and motor together on the pole to about 28.2 and use a cheap sat finder to get a beep, flexing the dish slightly top and bottom and side to side and see if you get a beep or signal. You may have to loosen the nuts a little to tweek.

just tried that, absolutely nothing, nada, ziltch.

i will not be beaten lol.
Well if your receiver is setup for usals and Lat and Lon is set and dish is setup and you have driven you motor from the receiver well then the dish should be near enough to the satellite so it's a matter of tweeking the dish by loosening the nuts slightly. I take it the dish is pointing near enough towards 28.2 or whatever satellite you drove to. Leave it there and move the dish on its bolts but don't move the motor. Also make sure that your LNB is not skewed because when the dish moves it automatically skews itself.

Apart from moving the dish from right to left, have you tried tilting it back slightly and continue moving, as this is what happened to me when i set mine up , it was over 8 years ago mind , but according to settings i thought i had the dish and motor set up correctly. I was setting up for 1w as i had done in my old house a few years before, which had worked a treat, but in this house that just wouldnt work, i then seen on dishpointer that i should set up for 5w, because of my new location, so thats what i did and still nothing, but then after tilting back a little bit at a time and moving the dish slowly, i picked up a signal and once i got the strongest signal , i tightened everything up and all sats fell into place, but i know my allevation now is nowhere near what its supposed to be , but it works, sounds like your headin in the right direction, just a bit of tweakin needed.

just tried that, absolutely nothing, nada, ziltch.

i will not be beaten lol.

anst11 - don't know what a v8 is so can't help you there but I found one of the cheapo bleeping signal finders just the job, unless you have a decent view of the tv from the dish. Screwfix also sell the signal finders but a bit dearer [use it, take it back as not working ;)]
When setting up usals on your box make sure the lon/lat values are correct, lat set north [for a positive value] and lon set west [for a negative value]
Was the dish bracket centred on the line on the motor arm ?
Make sure the pole is rock solid as well as plumb.
This is what I found the easiest.
Send your motor and dish to 0'
Download the free app Satellite Director to your phone, make sure its calibrated and tick 0.8w then line up the lnb arm by swinging the motor and dish on the pole. [hoping your not up a double ladder :grin:]
Via your box send the dish to 28.2 [strong signal]
This is where the sat finder comes in handy, you may find the motor and dish might want nudging a knats east or west but start with the dish elevation.
Good luck.

as an amateur, tune to thor (use a sat meter (fiver off ebay) & dishpointer app or website) as it as close to south as you'll get without it being over complicated. it is also at the apex of the arc & if you have a clear view & a good signal on that satellite, usal settings will follow through to the other satellites. as mentioned, make sure your lat & long is input correctly, a negative value on your longitude needs to be set as a positive value west

Back