New post for Johnny Murtagh

noelyf

VIP Member
Monday 15 November 2010

000350db-314.jpg

Johnny Murtagh enjoyed considerable success in the past for the Aga Khan with the likes of Sinndar and Alamshar

Johnny Murtagh has been retained to ride all of the Aga Khan's Irish-trained horses in 2011.

The jockey resigned from his post as stable jockey to Coolmore last week and has quickly been snapped up by the leading owner.

'I am thrilled to be renewing my association with His Highness' horses in Ireland,' Murtagh said in a statement.

'We have shared some fantastic moments over the years and I have always enjoyed riding in the green and red colours.

'This will also give me an opportunity to ride for John Oxx again.

'I started off riding for Mr Oxx and it has always been a pleasure to be part of his Currabeg team.'

Christophe Lemaire is the retained rider for the owner's French-trained horses and recently signed a two-year contract running from 2011-2012.

Murtagh's appointment would appear a big blow to Fran Berry, who was appointed as Oxx's stable jockey at the start of this year.

The owner's website read: 'The Aga Khan Studs would like to thank Fran for the many winners he has ridden in the Aga Khan's colours and, if the opportunity arises, he will be called upon to ride the Aga Khan Irish-trained horses in the future.'

The Aga Khan's stud farm manager Pat Downes added: 'Johnny obviously became available and we have always had a retained rider in France.

'His Highness has never had a retained rider in Ireland and he and Johnny have had some very good days in the past.

'His Highness saw an opportunity to renew that partnership and that has been sorted in the last 48 hours.
'Fran Berry is a very good rider and has done great for us, but he doesn't yet have the international experience of Johnny, who is a world-class jockey.

'Hopefully this is the start of another great chapter for Johnny and His Highness together.'

Back