Noob help required

tim1969

HI,

I have an h2s which was working up to a point and I have now tried moving IPTV providers. My level of knowledge isn't great but I have filezilla and putty and I'm used to uploading data to remote device (my websites).

My supplier did most of the original setup (openvix) before sending the box to me in Spain.

I was looking at a new IPTV service with guides and a provider in here offered what looks like a good deal. The problems occurred during installation of the new software (primal TV) as my box kept rebooting when I hit the "updates ITPV guides". Having rummaged around it said my image was not working. I have backed it all up to a pen drive, and tried installing Open ATV 6.2 but whilst it worked initially I didn't like it as it's very slow to boot so have tried to reflash back to my backup files.

This has not worked.

Here is where I need some help and advice please.

In an ideal world I would like to revert to (a working copy of) openvix with my old channels and lists (it takes ages to enter all the frequncies to scan my dish)....(I do have echanneliser on trial). At the moment it does not seem to want to flash back to the backed up files. I also can't find any listings for zgemma My pen drive works as it flashed the new ATV. (Daft question but do I copy the contents of the folder containing files to the root or the folder or the whole folder incl contents?)

If I can't get back to that then a new openvix would be ok but require a lot of setting up

Failing that - anything that gets me my TV back! I assume that whooshbuild will make everything slower not quicker?

Cheers

Last edited:
IF you made a fullbackup this isnt a flash image so it wont flash your box, what you do is install the base software (ATV 6.2 is recommended for Zgemma's) then use the remote to navigate to your backup & restore it that way.
From your tv screen with no menu's open, blue button/flash online-local/blue button for local/yellow button for device/select usb-hdd by its name/fullbackup_zgemmaH2s/ select your newest dated backup...keep opening this files folders until you see 'kernel.bin' highlight kernel.bin then press green to flash.

IF you made a fullbackup this isnt a flash image so it wont flash your box, what you do is install the base software (ATV 6.2 is recommended for Zgemma's) then use the remote to navigate to your backup & restore it that way.
From your tv screen with no menu's open, blue button/flash online/local/local/yellow button for device/usb/hdd by its name/fullbackup_zgemmaH2s/ select your newest dated backup from your backups...keep opening this files folders until you see 'kernel.bin' highlight kernel.bin then press green to flash.
Thanks. My backup file seems to contain the same file structure as the new one I flashed so I'm not sure why that isn't working. I'm persevering withATV at the moment but can't even get the tuner to search for the FTA signals!

You could always ftp to the box & lift the backup to your pc, open it & keep opening its folders until you see a file named 'noforce' edit the name of this file to 'force' & save, next is to prep a usb to flash the box (low level format then full windows format, many mess this bit up) then load your backup to usb & flash the box. A quicker way to get your box up & running would be to install base ATV 6.2 nightly:
http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/6.2/index.php?open=zgemmah2s
then go for any of the great builds TK members have uploaded, WBI (wooshbuild infinity) Grogbuild or Willobuild for a patched VIX image).

IF you want to continue with your base image rather than flash someone elses build you will need to add various plugins, 'autobouquetsmaker' is one that is used to setup your tuners/sat provider area etc to enable the box to scan for channels. There are step by step guides on this site to walk you through every step of making your own image.

Last edited:
You could always ftp to the box & lift the backup to your pc, open it & keep opening the files until you see a file named 'noforce' edit the name of this file to 'force' & save, next is to prep a usb to flash the box (low level format then full windows format, many mess this bit up) then load your backup ready to usb & flash the box. A quicker way to get your box up & running would be to install base ATV 6.2 nightly:
http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/6.2/index.php?open=zgemmah2s
then go for any of the great builds TK members have uploaded, WBI (wooshbuild infinity) Grogbuild or Willobuild for a patched VIX image).

IF you want to continue with your base image rather than flash someone elses build you will need to add various plugins, 'autobouquetsmaker' is one that is used to setup your tuners/sat provider area etc to enable the box to scan for channels. There is/was a few good step by step guides on here somewhere to walk you through every step of making yourown image.
Thanks. I have already changed the name of noforce to force and fully formatted the USB stick but it won't flash. Again, do I move the whole directory? Once I have unzipped the backup it contains 3 levels before the files...

/image backup/ image restore/ hd12000/ force, imageversion, kernel.bin etc

Do I just upload the individual files or the whole directory structure.

I certainly don't want to be building my own stuff so whooshbuild would seem to be the answer but if it slows down the already slow ATV6.2 it will drive me mad. Thanks for your answers so far.

open your dated backup...the folder to place on your flash usb is the 'Zgemma' folder & all its contents.

there are many that prefer VIX over ATV, I have used both & found that speed is almost the same but VIX produces a 'slightly' sharper picture imo, VIX is a good firmware but most go the ATV 6.2 route as VIX has to be patched to make it work on Zgemma's, once you have it all setup you will find very little difference as an end user

Last edited:
open your dated backup...the folder to place on your flash usb is the 'Zgemma' folder & all its contents.

there are many that prefer VIX over ATV, I have used both & found that speed is almost the same but VIX produces a 'slightly' sharper picture imo, VIX is a good firmware but most go the ATV 6.2 route, once you have it all setup you will find very little difference as an end user
OK, I'm going to try whooshbuild but it has asked me which region of the UK I am in. Obviously I'm in Spain so would like to see all my options for FTA as I'm right on the edge of the reception and some BBC regional areas are stronger than other but I don't know which....is there a way I can manually add them all later?

sorry but Im at a bit of a loss when outside the UK, TK have members in Spain so maybe one of those could help in this regard although I see no reason why you couldnt continue with the install then make area changes later & recan

Last edited:
sorry but Im at a bit of a loss when outside the UK, TK have members in Spain so maybe one of those could help in this regard
Thanks anyway. I have set it all up but haven't got any channels...... :-(

How do I do a rescan in Whooshbuild or change the skin, for example?

answers to those Q's will be within the WBI instructions or within the support thread for wooshbuild, WB uses Chabs skins & if I recall right has chabs skin changer in the plugins browser (green button)

there are many that prefer VIX over ATV, I have used both & found that speed is almost the same but VIX produces a 'slightly' sharper picture imo, VIX is a good firmware but most go the ATV 6.2 route as VIX has to be patched to make it work on Zgemma's, once you have it all setup you will find very little difference as an end user
I don't have a "zgemma" folder in my backup?

it sounds like you only made a settings backup rather than a full backup of your system.
as long as you have your sub details saved somewhere (email) you should be able to continue with the install, FTA sat fed channels may not clear as like you have said your in Spain so area settings may need to be changed, your IPTV sub details should be entered as per WBI instructions.

Last edited:
IF you made a fullbackup this isnt a flash image so it wont flash your box, ................,<snip>

Suspect you are mistaken here @BeakyFord as it will flash and restore the box exactly back to point of backup.
Exact same file structure as a standard build flash, just contains more info.
I have to use it more often than I'd like to. :)

Suspect you are mistaken here @BeakyFord as it will flash and restore the box exactly back to point of backup.
Exact same file structure as a standard build flash, just contains more info.
I have to use it more often than I'd like to. :)

I know what you're saying, perhaps I didn't explain it very well, Ive assembled & backed up many images without line details to perform installs on new systems as a time saver but once a system has its codes loaded this type of backup is best used for restoring an image via the remote rather than a clean usb install/flash, but yes it can be used to flash a box for multi-room etc. Maybe I would have been better to say shouldn't be used to usb flash rather than wont (my mistake)

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I seem to be all sorted now. My box is up and running and I have managed to both scan my satellite dish and add an IPTV line - which was the most challenging bit.
Do you know if anyone does a catch up tv service for those of us abroad? I guess it would require a vpn at my end?

Back