OpenATV Software Updates

Hi Guys,

I have recently had my box on openvix and then flashed my box with openatv.

A Few questions id like to ask about updating on OpenAtv

On Openvix they released an update every so often Openvix 4.1.002 then Openvix 4.1.003 etc etc i upgraded and i didnt loose any settings

On OpenATV i see the following menu items
software update and flash online

Software update im guessing looking at it is packages? what is the openvix equivalent?
Flash online is the actual image? if i click flash online and click the latest nightly build isnt this just going to flash my box with default image and loose all its settings??
Also is there any website i can visit to view a changelog so see if its worth updating?

You can just backup your settings and flash the nightly, then restore the settings.
It's all in setup > software management.

Yeah noticed in the options in setup > software management
just wanted an easy way to update to the latest image without it wiping my settings and restoring the settings from backup

I think you may be able to flash online but i've never tried it.
I just download the latest nightly and flash it from usb, then restore settings. Takes 10 minutes tops.

I understand what you mean, but just want to press button to update and it update and all my settings copied over, no loading an image to a usb or restoring settings from a nighlty build on Flash-online

when you flash the nightly it detects that there is a settings backup on the hdd when you reboot. It then asks if you want to restore your settings.
Can't get too much better than that can it?

i haven't tried it yet as i didnt want to re-image my box tonight, that's why i posted the question, so does it take a automatic backup when you do flash online

I don't think any image makes automatic backups although I did read somewhere that there is a plugin that does it.
A settings backup only takes a few button clicks and 20 seconds anyway.

Just for the record, I am using openatv 5.3 and clicking online or local update - seems to crash and reboot this build.

I don't know whether this is just the image I am using or whether this is a problem at the moment.

I am doing a full new reflash tomorrow, If I remember I will report back whether this is still an issue.

I never save my settings. I have reflashed my box that many times I know them off by heart. I can set them all in 5 mins.
It might be worth just doing a reflash and going through every single setting menu again. If nothing else, it helps to teach you what lives where.

I just flashed online from my OpenATV 5.3 20160601 build to the latest nightly successfully.
Don't know what today's build will be like though. I've stuck with the 1st June build and haven't been able to fault it.

that 5.3 build I am currently using is a very early release. So that's probably what my problem is.

I never had this problem so maybe it was a one off bad nightly you had?

Now I could be wrong here like I normally am but I presume......

If you flash a nightly on Monday 1st of the month and then do the online software updates everyday for 7 days. You will in fact have the Sunday 7th nightly equivalent. I am sure that if you flash the latest nightly as it is released and then do a software update you won't see any update available because you have the latest version of everything.

Again I could be wrong but in my mind it makes sense.

So, if people are playing with nightly builds, would you be so kind as to try my theory? I would do it but I have flashed the shite out of my box these last few days and think it deserves a rest for a day or two.

I just flashed back to 1st June build - no xmltv importer plugin available in the list at the moment, don't know if there's a problem with it. Couldn't get it from Woosh's build either. I've probably got an ipk somewhere but can't be bothered to look now. I'm going to drink beer and watch the box rather than keep flashing it !

Back