phoenix hd a850 setup.

yes test first to see what results and agreed nothing is simple anymore as too many variables in the equation .

Hey Borofc as an electrical engineer can you confirm the resistance value of the resistor that is being moved. I mind vaguely its all to do with the bands etc but must have been near 10 or more years since a read up on that relearning the soldering iron is enough for me last time I had this type of work was blown PSUs on eurovoxs aaaaah the good old days of eurovoxs ah miss them.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

your best not talking about what parts or values that are involved on an open forum if any readers attempt this repair even when the box is unplugged the main smoothing capacitor can hold its charge for many hours and the charge is 330v ac so that can give a nasty shock if touched by mistake.
i just wanted readers to no that it looks like a flaw has been found that makes the box work a lot better then it has in the past.
if you sent me a pm i will tell you the values etc of the parts needed but i wouldnt recommend you openly post this as you dont want anyone to give themselves an electrical shock or short (blow) there boxes
imagine someone damaging there box and sending it back saying its its now got no power (not really fair on sellers)

At present I am running my box with Main vermin feed into Konig signal booster, out of booster into two way splitter, one feed into modem and the other into 20db adjustable attenuator into Phoenix box.I played about with the booster / attenuator for about an hour yesterday to I got the box running well.BBc HD runs perfect ,other hd channels will get some pixels, most SD channels work perfect apart from MTV music channels ??, other music channels are fine. What seems to be weird with this box is if it was a hardware issue why would some channels be fine and others not ?, hope its true about the fix as would be willing to try anything to improve the way the box runs, regards.

because different channels are on different frequencys and the same channel in one area is on a different frequency in another area.
you really need to inderstand what the main function of the tuner is.
and ask your self this why is it only really the phoenix hd box that needs attenuators boosters etc the 780 doesnt the starview doesnt the old eurovox digivox dreambox etc doesnt..that tells you theres a weakness with the tuner or tuner drives all im saying is this mod seems to have cured this weekness..
you can get new televisions released and one year or so down the road they bring out a mod that cures any weaknesses..
even brand new cars can be recalled because of weaknesses.
all im saying is it looks like this boxes weaknesses appear to have been found

Hi borofc, would you say then that it might be possible for this fix to be done by anyone who has soldering kit ,where it is simply to carefully remove & replace a resistor or would it have to be done by a electrical engineer.

thats totally upto the owner of the box as everyone is different.
i do this kind of thing full time and have done for over 20 years but if my car broke down then i would take it to a garage as i wouldnt no where to start

...if any readers attempt this repair even when the box is unplugged the main smoothing capacitor can hold its charge for many hours and the charge is 330v ac so that can give a nasty shock if touched by mistake...

That should be 330v DC surely. ;)

I don't have an A850, but as an electronics engineer myself, I was wondering if the mod was on the PSU board as mentioned earlier, or a mod to the tuner circuit?

OK, instead of moving loads of furniture to get to the main cable in, re tuning un plugging etc etc etc, I realise the implications of what is being said ie caps holding volts but as Marcus asked, is this issue solved by simply removing a resistor from the board and replacing with a different value?????? I am not an electrical engineer but feel confident enough to replace a resistor - given the correct info (not holding anyone to boot if I do b4llocks up)???

330v DC may hurt but isn't 330v AC coming up to 3 phase?

Please PM me if you are really not sure about openly sharing this information. The A850 is virtualy unuseable so if I duff it it's no big loss!!!!!!!

---------- Post Merged at 07:12 PM ----------

OR is there anyone (yet) who knows what they are doing who is willing to offer a service????

Jake, I wouldn't say that the A850 is unuseable at present, it's more annoying at times, mine is running fine at the moment apart from the MTV music channels & Some of the hd channels.Once the fix has been tested I'm sure there will be posts with pictures, parts, instructions of how to rectify the fault.

Patience guys not like we are in middle of footy season or anything the fix itself is low risk in my opinion but am not just a guy with a soldering kit so may find it easier than your average Joe. Simply swapping out the board is a hundred times easier and probably safer and if you can turn a screw driver and have a little common sense am sure you will manage. Board supply is going to be small though and old boards will be (in the right hands ) be modified and re used either sold on eBay or direct from supplier but how then they get back old board I am unsure. If boards are not returned and reused it will mean limited stock and if more need to be ordered they will come with a huge price tag am sure. Basic economics needs to come in to play otherwise folks will be getting ripped off. What has your own suppliers been saying on the matter has any been given info on timescales or wether they will offer a replacement service etc?

kreeman are you some sort of ***** or watt im only trying to help folk of course its ac and not dc on the mains bridge and smoother ffs how are you an electronics engineer were the f.... do you think the ac gets converted to dc.
im trying to say and share a certain mod that works and your questioning ac and dc ***** ***** ***** wait on other people to confirm over next few weeks.

Edit: Gman

borofc,

The use of defamatory, degrading, or otherwise demeaning comments towards any other user is totally unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Any further instances such as this will result in a ban as per Techkings rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again, Barryboom, for some reason the company who supplied my box (not ebay) strangely don't have a lot to say re this issue. I guess I bought this box and have since modified it? presumably this would invalidate any warranty in theory. Marcus, would you recommend the Konig? AND personally if borofc is willing i'm willing to give this mod a go as I am getting really p1ssed with this box. Cactikid, thanks for all your previous advice, we may get there in the end!!!!!!

maybe something like we had in the past with sv1 boxes and its not just take 1 out and put 1 in + and - on caps as far as i know and having a bad soldered joint could be costlier.

HTML:
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/725/svcapfixpnggv2.png

what is the best router to use for kryptview 780?

Only one that is know to give issues is superhub but only when it requires update no issues when using box. Work around available incl switching router to modem mode and connecting an additional router.

kreeman are you some sort of idiot or watt im only trying to help folk of course its ac and not dc on the mains bridge and smoother ffs how are you an electronics engineer were the f.... do you think the ac gets converted to dc.
im trying to say and share a certain mod that works and your questioning ac and dc idiot cheeky ****** wait on other people to confirm over next few weeks.
idiot

I have been an electronics engineer for over 35 years. I resent your completely uncalled for and OTT remarks, as it's you who clearly don't know the first thing about basic power supply theory. I am not a (3 times) idiot. I was merely correcting your mistake, which, unbelievably, you are still sticking to.

It is not ac on the smoothing capacitor. It's the bridge rectifier that converts the mains ac to pulsed dc. You stated that "even when the box is unplugged the main smoothing capacitor can hold its charge for many hours and the charge is 330v ac". That is wrong. The large smoothing capacitor on the output of the rectifier charges up to the peaks of the pulsed dc. It is a direct current charge. How on earth can it be anything else? Why do you think the smoothing capacitor is polarised? If you applied ac to a polarised capacitor it would explode! How can you explain an unpowered, passive component, such as a capacitor, being able to hold an ac charge? It's impossible!

Learning how a basic PSU works is one of the first things you learn in electronics. You may have "done this sort of thing for over 20 years", but you obviously have never studied the basic theory of power supplies. Have you ever actually measured the voltage across the smoothing capacitor?

Where have I implied that you are not trying to help folk? Also, I am not disputing whether the mod works or not, so I don't know why you brought that up?

I received my A850 HD this morning and have plugged it in where the A780 was and working OK with the odd glitch. I'm getting signal strength 0 when I try and scan and I think I've twigged I need to update the firmware before it will work. I think it's too old to update online (says SV 1.000C in system information), if someone would be kind enough to PM me where I can get firmware that will work from a USB stick I'd be really grateful.

check your messages if you missed it.if somebody else has an ordinary internet no hub try an internet upgrade to get it on the latest firmware first as the superhub wont let it.

Back