Picture Like A Jigsaw

Blueboyg

Hi all,
Over the last week my picture has gotten really poor from my Skybox5, It goes from decent to what resembles mosaic tiles :whacko: I went into Antenna Setup and noticed that the signal quality bar is jumping up and down from 10% to 77%. What would be the most likley cause of this? I have tried removing the cable from the back of the box and removing and re-fitting the connector to the cable but still my picture is terrible, Any ideas Guy's ?

Thanks,
G

where is the dish? anything in the way of it like a tree or bush? maybe moving in the wind or that?

---------- Post Merged at 07:09 PM ----------

could also be water in the cable, have you got 1 or 2 cables there? if 2 try the other one.

Hello Waldo, The dish is at the rear of my house on the wall of the house, there is nothing near it, I do have two cables and have tried them both but still the same?

Try a rescan then if the same check dish for position and lnb. If box is using the older f/w then try an update.
If this started after you updated channel list then you need to re-install list using a formatted key.
Reaper.

Thanks Reaper, I did update my channel list last week so i will try formatting my key and re-install my list. Hopefully that will sort it, I will update this thread tomorrow.

Many Thanks,
G

---------- Post Merged at 09:46 PM ----------

Mmm just formatted my memory stick and then re loaded channel list onto it and updated box again but the signal is so bad thatit hardly picks up the channel, It seems to have gotten worse. How do i check for dish allignment? I will probably need to check my LNB as well in case there is water in the connection to it.

May also be the tuner faulty the first f5s I had was sent back due to faulty tuner. Rare but can happen. But like reaper said check alignment and lnb first. Since tuner means new box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just check if dish is loose---if no then leave it if yes then get a cheap sat meter off the bay or Maplins/Amazon and attach between lnb and receiver and then re-position dish. Check lnb for movement damage and water then check cable from dish to box.
Obtain a 24hr test cline and install to check whether your server is dodgy
If your box was working ok previous then it's most likely to be one of the faults described here.
Reaper.

Thanks for the replies folks,
Reaper, I have checked my dish and its solid, i have checked my cable and no water at either end and i cleaned the connections but still the same, I also fitted the original single LNB but nothing changed I take it the small green light on the front of the box is to confirm the signal as mine is flashing intermittently, I have formatted my memory stick and added AJs list again but still the same, Is there anything else i can check ? I also checked with the guy (from on here)who supplys my cline and he says everything is good his end.

Last edited:
The only thing left to try is a factory reset and install an earlier firmware [the nov 2013 is stable] and if that works then upgrade to latest.This is entirely up to you.
Remember to take a back up of your line and format your key before any action.
Good luck.
Reaper.

Thanks Reaper, Im not sure how to reset the box, yes i can manage through the menu to factory reset but im not sure how to install the firmware. So i would dump by usb ? then factory reset and then upgrade by usb? How do i get the firmware?

Thanks,
G

OK if you have made up your mind to try this-----take a back-up of your line and store on pc. If your box is original go to Skybox.cc and download the November 2013 firmware for your box or the firmware prior to what you have [ you can find your present f/w in menu--tools--info ]
Do a factory reset on your box---format usb key---add f/w to key---and plug into box. Menu---tools---upgrade by usb---scroll across to image file---leave all else as is and install f/w----exit and reboot when upgrade complete. Menu settings---sat list---check that only 28.2 is ticked---exit and then do an accurate scan of tv only [ no radio ] When scan finished--save---exit---check fta channels.If OK then re-format key--add line and re-install---tick line---exit and reboot box. Hopefully this will clear it.
If no better or box bricks then it may have to be revived with null cable method---more fun for you.
Cross your fingers and hope.
Reaper.

PS---no tears please it happens to most of us:beg:

OMG:whacko: , I already have a bricked box :whistling:, I also have the cable and instructions but couldnt get it to work, Now im shitting it to reset this one lol, If this bricks im going back to sly :bye:.

If bricked and can't revive yourslf then you can always send to me for no charge repair, but lets hope you manage this.
Reaper.

If this also happens on FTA channels (which it sounds like it does), then it won't have anything to do with your cline provider.

Just because your dish feels solid, doesn't mean that it doesn't still need realigning. From your symptoms, this sounds the most likely.

My Sisters box was recently pixelating & losing signal completely during cloudy weather, even though the dish felt solid & needed a lot of effort to loosen the bolts. Once the dish was realigned she was back to a perfect picture again.

Perhaps over the years the metal dish warps slightly & throws it out of alignment???

You're right about the green light. It lights when the box has a signal.

Last edited:
I seem to be having a similar problem, but it's only seems to be pixelating and a low signal strength on the universal channel!

If this also happens on FTA channels (which it sounds like it does), then it won't have anything to do with your cline provider.

Just because your dish feels solid, doesn't mean that it doesn't still need realigning. From your symptoms, this sounds the most likely.

My Sisters box was recently pixelating & losing signal completely during cloudy weather, even though the dish felt solid & needed a lot of effort to loosen the bolts. Once the dish was realigned she was back to a perfect picture again.

Perhaps over the years the metal dish warps slightly & throws it out of alignment???

You're right about the green light. It lights when the box has a signal.

Ah!! One thing i forgot to check was my FTA channels, So i did check them and they are absolutley fine, so i tried a trial line from a good guy on here and it was the exact same so that rules out my line and surely my dish alignment ??? So if this is confirmed looks like my only option is a firmware re-boot ??

---------- Post Merged at 12:15 PM ----------

Well im now officially F****d, I unplugged my box to tidy up my cables and when i plugged it back in it proceeded to load channels but just keeps going from channel 1 to 100 and then back to the beginning again so its now bricked as my last box did, I went through the full process of unbricking it and it loades up no problem but as soon as it has completed the box does the exact same again. Ive tried it twice now and cannot get it resolved. :bye:

Send me both boxes if you want to and I may be able to revive one or both. [no charge except postage]
PM for details.
Reaper.

Well im now officially F****d, I unplugged my box to tidy up my cables and when i plugged it back in it proceeded to load channels but just keeps going from channel 1 to 100 and then back to the beginning again so its now bricked as my last box did, I went through the full process of unbricking it and it loades up no problem but as soon as it has completed the box does the exact same again. Ive tried it twice now and cannot get it resolved.

Does it still do this if the LNB cable is unplugged?

Well im now officially F****d, I unplugged my box to tidy up my cables and when i plugged it back in it proceeded to load channels but just keeps going from channel 1 to 100 and then back to the beginning again so its now bricked as my last box did, I went through the full process of unbricking it and it loades up no problem but as soon as it has completed the box does the exact same again. Ive tried it twice now and cannot get it resolved.

Does it still do this if the LNB cable is unplugged?

Yes it does mate.

Back