Policewoman wears "No Surrender" badge at Ibrox game.

noelyf

VIP Member
061e0b21-532_1456875a.jpg

[h=3]A PC was last night branded "naive" after she was pictured online with a Loyalist "No Surrender" badge on her uniform at a Rangers game.[/h]

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sco...-Officers-No-Surrender-badge.html#comment-rig

The officer is being probed by top brass over this snap of her smiling with the controversial slogan clearly visible on a hardcore fans' group sticker.

The image, captured at Ibrox, was posted on the Facebook page of the Union Bears — sparking fury among rival fans.

The bobby — who has been banned from football duties but not suspended while an internal inquiry is carried out — inists she is the victim of a prank.

But last night a source said: "This officer has been really naive. It might seem a silly matter but this can cause huge harm to the image of the police — especially in the West of Scotland.

"The police have got to be seen to be impartial and when things like this happen it doesn't help matters.

"She is saying the badge was stuck on to her camera lens by a fan and removed within seconds.

"It still doesn't look good and officers should be on their guard as it only takes seconds for you to get put on the internet."

The phrase "No Surrender" originates from the Siege of Derry in 1689 and is used as a term of defiance by Ulster Loyalists.

Rangers fans — reeling from the club's plunge into administration with huge debts last week — often sing 'The cry was no surrender'.

The supporter who posted the picture on Facebook said: "Anyone who sits with the Union Bears would have seen this officer before :)"

Another user — called Garry Rangers Steel — posted: "I see her every week. What a legend."

But the photo provoked outrage from rivals.

One said: "It is shocking. Police should not be wearing anything which has a team's colours on it while on duty, even if they support that team."

The picture — believed to have been taken during a match a few weeks ago — has since been removed from the site.

Last night a spokesman for Strathclyde police confirmed to the Scottish Sun: "An internal investigation has been launched into what would appear to be a lack of judgment by one of our officers."

According to some Celtic supporters she is regularly seen arresting Celtic fans at football games. Doesnt surprise me tbh :eyebrow:

Looks to me like she is trying to take it off, she seems to have her finger under the sticker to lift it off.
but however, the gist of the article is correct, the police should have the wherewithal to see someone with a camera coming head on to them with a sticker in their hand.
I met a Police man on holidays once, he was a rangers season ticket holder, he worked in the airport and used to hate when either the team or the fans would be travelling to or from away games as he always got recognised.
He happened to be a really nice guy, we went to see the Europa cup (semi??) final that celtic won (on TV), and was shouting for celtic, then they played Rangers on the saturday and we went out for that again and had a ball, even though Celtic lost.( I am not much of a Scottish football fan)
If only more people could behave like this, it would make for a better world.

Back